Question About Selling Beats

brokinpaper

Hi everybody,

So a colleague of mine is interested in purchasing a few instrumentals of mine so that he could rap over them. Is there a typical procedure I should follow in selling it to him? I have never done this before and I don't know how selling one of my songs to him works. If anyone could maybe share their experiences, both good and bad with selling their music that would greatly help me out in gaining perspective.

Thank you!

depends on what they want to do with the song they make. will just be for promo use? do they want to sell the song? radio play? Main thing is don't give up your publishing royalties. basically sell them the right to use your beats but they dont own your beat. that way if the song blows up u will still get your publishing royalties.

The guy wants to use my beat to rap over. How would I go about selling him rights and not the royalties? Should I just type up a document stating the explicit terms of use?

Thank you

The guy wants to use my beat to rap over. How would I go about selling him rights and not the royalties? Should I just type up a document stating the explicit terms of use?

Thank you

Make sure you copyright your music. Look up poor mans copyright in google for some help on that.

Just a thought, I'm no expert on this, but if you trust this colleague then you could just ask him not to make the original beat freely available on the internet. Copyright seems a bit overboard for a simple beat tbh.

Back