Question about long after you sold a beat

tharealphaze

After I sell a beat exclusively and it's been a while and the artist starts to do some shows and getting paid from it... how do I get paid and do I even get paid? I still own the beat but they just have full rights to it.. right?

Royalties? I don't see how you get paid from any shows at all lol. Sign up for BMI or ASCAP & if they song get on the radio or TV you'll get paid off each spin. On TV they pay by the second If I'm not mistaken. There's a reason why niggas don't sell exclusives cheap....

There's no defined way to sell an exclusive beat, you can include royalties as part of the exclusive contract. Hell, I don't know why people give away the full rights to the beat just cause it's "exclusive." I still demand credit and maintain the rights to play the beat on any platform I wish.

Technically the way exclusives work online is that you are selling them a beat outright and giving away all rights. If you want royalties that needs to be worked out prior to the sale not after. Also what did your contract say? Did you have one? If you did not have any legal documentation on the track then whos to say who's it is?

Most deals on the strength w/o contracts mean, they rock the beat free and clear. Most likely they are not paying you an royalties because they arent making any money off performances. Just because someone is using your beat and doing shows, doesn't translate into royalties or entitlement to more money. Enjoy the fact your beat is getting heard by a greater audience

Technically the way exclusives work online is that you are selling them a beat outright and giving away all rights. If you want royalties that needs to be worked out prior to the sale not after. Also what did your contract say? Did you have one? If you did not have any legal documentation on the track then whos to say who's it is?

I didn't sell a beat yet I'm just being prepared for when I do and I got a contract from a thread on here the other day and I will probly get them to sign from docusign. It looks really easy.

What he said..

I didn't sell a beat yet I'm just being prepared for when I do and I got a contract from a thread on here the other day and I will probly get them to sign from docusign. It looks really easy.
Why agree to someone else's terms? Hire a lawyer and get exactly what you want out of your contract or do not use one at all. Using someone elses contract is like using someone else's old condom. You hope you don't get into a f*cked up situation that way. Say example the contract you decided to use gives out details like a multi tracked Pro Tools session gurantee that all music is this or that and that you owe the artist royalties if the song comes out or something crazy like that. You just never know. Say you want royalties if the song becomes a smash and the contract that you gave out omitted that detail. Again get your own contract with your own details or don't use one.

Why agree to someone else's terms? Hire a lawyer and get exactly what you want out of your contract or do not use one at all. Using someone elses contract is like using someone else's old condom. You hope you don't get into a f*cked up situation that way. Say example the contract you decided to use gives out details like a multi tracked Pro Tools session gurantee that all music is this or that and that you owe the artist royalties if the song comes out or something crazy like that. You just never know. Say you want royalties if the song becomes a smash and the contract that you gave out omitted that detail. Again get your own contract with your own details or don't use one.

I read through it it's fine lol.

Back