Question about Instrumental monetizing. Please help.

Hi, I have sold bunch of lease and some of the artists start to upload the songs on TuneCore and I get claims on the beat. Since I monetize beats on YouTube it cuts in the revenue stream. All is good as after asking they did remove the track.

The question is. Should I upload the instrumentals on TuneCore Myself to counter this and is it worth it?

Can you reword your question? I'm having a hard time understanding how your revenue stream is being cut...

GJ

Can you reword your question? I'm having a hard time understanding how your revenue stream is being cut...

GJ

Well. At the moment I am monetizing My beats on YouTube and getting some money from there as passive income. When someone puts the song with My beat on the TuneCore, they start to put claims on My instrumentals on YouTube and I cant monetize those beats any more, until they remove the claim of content ID.

So My question is. Should I place the beats on the TuneCore Myself to avoid getting the claims later from artists who do not fallow the deal of lease and still upload the end song on distribution services?

Sorry, I dunno how can I put this in perspective more clearly.

Last edited:
No, that makes more sense, and it also high-lights what I've been saying all along about Hip-Hop business models and practices; they don't fit in with standard industry practice everywhere else and will come back to bite you a la your current situation. No other aspect of the industry "leases" material the way Hip-Hop producers do, so the business at-large isn't really set-up to accommodate that.

Anyway, in your personal situation, I would say yes, beat them to the punch, and sign-up with TuneCore. Also go ahead and file copyright on all of your material if you haven't been doing that already, and also sign-up with BMI or ASCAP and file clearances there (if you haven't already).

The only issue you might encounter is if you are signed with a different aggregator already. For instance, I'm with CDBaby, so I can't go with TuneCore also (they are competitors).

I hope it all works out.

This is not legal advice, as I am not an attorney!

GJ

Last edited:
No, that makes more sense, and it also high-lights what I've been saying all along about Hip-Hop business models and practices; they don't fit in with standard industry practice everywhere else and will come back to bite you a la your current situation. No other aspect of the industry "leases" material the way Hip-Hop producers do, so the business at-large isn't really set-up to accommodate that.

Anyway, in your personal situation, I would say yes, beat them to the punch, and sign-up with TuneCore. Also go ahead and file copyright on all of your material if you haven't been doing that already, and also sign-up with BMI or ASCAP and file clearances there (if you haven't already).

The only issue you might encounter is if you are signed with a different aggregator already. For instance, I'm with CDBaby, so I can't go with TuneCore also (they are competitors).

I hope it all works out.

This is not legal advice, as I am not an attorney!

GJ

Gonna try it out. Thank You. :)

yes, beat them to the punch, and sign-up with TuneCore.

I agree. The best thing to do is to get your original music in to the system first before leasing or licensing your beats. I also use CD Baby for this.

I agree. The best thing to do is to get your original music in to the system first before leasing or licensing your beats. I also use CD Baby for this.

If You use a CDBaby. Do they also monetize Your own YouTube channel or You can choose not to do that for own content on particular channel?

Last edited:
Here's the answer from their website.

If you are already making money from monetizing your YouTube channel you have the following options with our YouTube Monetization program:

Keep things simple and let us take over the management of ad revenues for your YouTube channel. There are no payout thresholds to meet when you go through CD Baby.
If you would like to monetize the videos we have claimed, you can dispute our claim. Within the dispute please include the following note: "My name is (Name), I am a CD Baby artist (username) and I wish to handle my own monetization on this video.". Our content ID analysts will review all the disputes received.**
** Please note that someone who has your permission to use your content in their video, and monetize it on their own, will need to dispute the claim in the similar way. It is highly recommended in this type of case that the video creator provides license copy, contact info, source links, anything that our content ID team can reference over such permission.

Opt-out of CD Baby’s YouTube monetization program. However, this will remove your music from YouTube’s Content ID system that enables you to make money off of other videos on YouTube that are using your music.

Here's the answer from their website.

If you are already making money from monetizing your YouTube channel you have the following options with our YouTube Monetization program:

Keep things simple and let us take over the management of ad revenues for your YouTube channel. There are no payout thresholds to meet when you go through CD Baby.
If you would like to monetize the videos we have claimed, you can dispute our claim. Within the dispute please include the following note: "My name is (Name), I am a CD Baby artist (username) and I wish to handle my own monetization on this video.". Our content ID analysts will review all the disputes received.**
** Please note that someone who has your permission to use your content in their video, and monetize it on their own, will need to dispute the claim in the similar way. It is highly recommended in this type of case that the video creator provides license copy, contact info, source links, anything that our content ID team can reference over such permission.

Opt-out of CD Baby’s YouTube monetization program. However, this will remove your music from YouTube’s Content ID system that enables you to make money off of other videos on YouTube that are using your music.

Thank You very much man. Appreciate.
Need to do some research about those two platforms a bit more, gonna pick one around next week. :)

Back