Question about getting into the music industry as a producer? Is this a good idea?

Arvoplex

Tell me what you guys think. I'm being told this is not a good idea. So I want to eventually work as a music producer/engineer in the music business. I was thinking about working in a music management company that works with one of the biggest music companies like Warner Music. I will be working around the office helping with promotion, scheduling, aiding artists and managers in whatever they need, attend business meetings and brainstorm, etc. I thought this would be a good opportunity to get my foot into the music business and how it works. Also great opportunities to make connections. I thought this would be a great first step and experience for a career in music. Keep note that this will just be a starting point to start somewhere. I am being told that I am not making a smart decision as it is not my career path and I should not focus on connections either. I am basically being told that working in music management, publishing, licensing, promotion, etc. that does not involve actual music, all are bad ideas. I am being told that I am lost. I don't think I agree. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I don't think that it's a bad idea if you will actually learn a lot about music business while working in that company. Producers nowadays need to do so much more work that doesn't involve making music. A lot of threads on this forum alone are telling producers about promotion, publishing, licensing and how important they are, those are all parts of the music business that most producers simply don't know enough about. If this is your opportunity to learn all these important things then go for it.

You should get as much experience in the industry as you can. We are in a culture now where qualifications are not enough to land you a job, you need experience.

Do you realise that all the vital things that you will learn working for a management company (or publisher, etc.) not only applies to your own production career, but others too. The possibilities are endless for you. The fact you know more than an artist about the music business may lead to you two forming a Hip Hop group that becomes the next Eric B. & Rakim. Do you see what I'm getting at?

The experience is invaluable and could open up so many more doors for you. If the production career doesn't work out, you have a B plan. Go work for a management company or start your own.

Cheers,
Jordan

Back