Publishing rights when selling exclusive music/beats

mrskytown

Hey I have a question, ok so if I'm selling beats /leases and someone buys exclusive rights, would they get a certain percentage of publishing rights. Line for example they would get 50% of publishing rights to that music. What is the best way to figure this out

Would depend on the terms within the contract and how you define "exclusive". Could mean that they own the music and all associated rights, (mechanical and publishing), or that they are the only ones who can use it.My guess is they want the first one, but sure you can arrange a 25/75 split or something similar

Hey I have a question, ok so if I'm selling beats /leases and someone buys exclusive rights, would they get a certain percentage of publishing rights. Line for example they would get 50% of publishing rights to that music. What is the best way to figure this out

An exclusive license simply means that they have the exclusive right to use the beat. there are no other rights attached to such a license unless you give them away.

In terms of publishing rights and other royalties unless you totally or jointly wrote the words,they would get 100% of the lyrics (or other percentages as determined) and you would get 100% of the music.

This is why when making sales you should have a lawyer of your own choosing assisting you with the contract negotiations to protect your interests.

Remember that there is no obligation for you to give away any publishing or royalty rights and that there is no obligation to sign a contract that you are not happy with no matter how much money is offered up front.

Oh I see, the reason why im asking is i was reading beatstars licence agreement that the producers use and I noticed that on the exclusive license they have a percentage of publishing rights that the producer can set to the buyer, example 40 percent of 50 or 30. And I never really saw other producers have that in there terms and conditions, but I also know that I don't have to follow what beatstars has. I can do my own thing.

Back