Providing the beat to the artist/client

J_WONDER3000

J_WONDER3000
This may really be a dumb question but hey.... I use sonar 7 and I wanted to take my time before I sold any beats. Which meant perfecting my craft, studying the business, leaning about marketing, studying music itself etc. Now I am at the point where I want to sell a beat, but how do you actually give the artist/ client the beat. Do you burn a CD, send a file (if so what format), can someone explain this to me I know I'm not the only one with this question. So thank you in advance for any help.

So if they say cd just burn a regular cd and give it to them? If they say file like what format? Will they need to be able to mix certain elements of it? I'm still new and I don't want to embarrass my self during a business transaction? Plus any other tips would be nice too. An thanks so much for the response.

Very nice question, I hope you find all these answers very useful. On the other hand I would like to let you know we are working on a Christmas Mixtape for the holidays. So I would definitely like the opportunity to check out your beats. Thanks

So if they say cd just burn a regular cd and give it to them? If they say file like what format? Will they need to be able to mix certain elements of it? I'm still new and I don't want to embarrass my self during a business transaction? Plus any other tips would be nice too. An thanks so much for the response.

It'll typically be wav file (but they will specify which they want) and yes you would burn it on a CD. I don't know if they will need to mix elements of your material. This is something you are going to need to include in your terms

Do you allow them access to the stem files in your lease agreement? If you do, then you will need to provide them. If you don't then you don't need to provide them

I would go with high-quality Mp3. You could also have a .wav file version available for a little more $$. If you will be sending a CD, make sure that your copyright info is included on the disc, along with track details and contact info for your busines. I'd also make sure that the price reflected your cost in postage, packaging, and a CD (maybe add a couple of dollars for CD sales within the CONUS?). I don't think you'd have to worry about sales tax on one-off discs like that, but check with your state/local laws.

You could also have a stems/mix-out version available for a much higher price.

GJ

Do you allow them access to the stem files in your lease agreement? If you do, then you will need to provide them. If you don't then you don't need to provide them[/QUOTE]

So what do you mean by stem? Why would I want to do this? Like the pros and cons I guess

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

I would go with high-quality Mp3. You could also have a .wav file version available for a little more $$. If you will be sending a CD, make sure that your copyright info is included on the disc, along with track details and contact info for your busines. I'd also make sure that the price reflected your cost in postage, packaging, and a CD (maybe add a couple of dollars for CD sales within the CONUS?). I don't think you'd have to worry about sales tax on one-off discs like that, but check with your state/local laws.

You could also have a stems/mix-out version available for a much higher price.

GJ

So what makes wav a better fil is it because its compressed? I just want to really know what I am talking about come transaction time. And I know I asked this in the above post but why would I sell the stem/mix out file. Like what does it do for them or me?

Back