Pros and Cons of using an online distributor?

Does ReverbNation really take %? I thought they didn't. Either way i actually support online distributors. Unless you're signed to a label online distributors are your best to go to. You can stay independent and still get your music on itunes and other platforms some even do physical copies and place them in stores. I think that is really freakin awesome for any independent musician/rapper and they should take advantage of it. Even if they take those 10% would u rather stay where you are and just stream your music on youtube or soundcloud or actually try to distribute your music? Thats my logic and my opinion.

So, what's the opinion on the best online distro for producers? Surprised to see a TuneCore mention, just came from an interview there.

I researched all online distributors and TuneCore is the best of em all in my opinion. I want to be more than a producer so thats why I researched tho

As an overall package, I have loved Reverbnation for years. Integrating mailing lists with distribution and promotion all in one place is valuable, but can be expensive. 10% isn't too bad when you consider that you're excluding the need for a record label and reaching a lot more eyes/ears than if you flew totally solo.

I would use Reverbnation just because I trust them, but I'm sure there are equally good alternatives.

Bandcamp isn't a distributor. It's just another store (like iTunes) that you work with directly, rather than through an intermediary like Tunecore.

I have no problem with Tunecore and CDBaby, I rate them highly - but I'll never use them.

Why?

Because I never want my music on iTunes or Amazon, or any digital store which offers little as a service... iTunes take around 30-40% of every sale. For the volume of sales they make and the effort (very little) they put in to those sales, I'd begrudge giving them 10% never mind 30%.

But listen, that's my opinion and I don't want anyone to be replying with some really dumb argument. Facts are facts. I'm not mad with anyone who puts their music on iTunes and the like... I just refuse to.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. I know that iTunes offer their store as their service, before someone picks up on that. It's an expensive, but it's not worth 30%, or even 20%.

Last edited:
most that i've worked with (routenote off the top of my head), give you the option of either giving them a percentage, or paying a (cheap) flat fee upfront that allows you to keep 100% of earnings

Back