Promoting on Social Media

SpaceClub

So I've run into a problem. I've recently been using twitter and instagram to promote my music! I started by following people and have them follow me back. Most of these people being interested in the type of music I make by their descriptions. I've now gotten to over 1,000 followers on twitter and I've come to the issue where I don't know if I should keep gaining followers by following them back, or to gain them much more slowly by just letting them find me. The followers is get by not following back would be more genuine and I would look more legitimate, but if I follow people back I'll be getting 100-200 followers a day instead of 3-4 which in turn is more people getting my links in their feeds. I just don't know

Is there actually a real way to do it?? Either way I'm getting followers, and the ones I do getting by following back all have an interest in the type of music I create. I just don't see how people will find me if I don't go out searching

Is there actually a real way to do it?? Either way I'm getting followers, and the ones I do getting by following back all have an interest in the type of music I create. I just don't see how people will find me if I don't go out searching
It's very difficult to get exposure. I have 22k followers on Twitter but they barely watch my videos on YouTube, just retweet my tweets and ask for shoutouts. I recommend getting a loyal fan base, people that will almost guarantee listen to all your tracks. I believe have 300 followers that all support and listen to my music is better than 3,000 followers with only 50 people listen to my music. There is no exact way to get your fan base and even I don't know how.

Also, watch out for Twitter churning (following and unfollowing for followers) because Twitter will suspend your account. They never ban your account for it but it is annoying having your account suspended for 3 days.

It doesn't matter how you do it, just make sure your followers are following you because they like you and your material... Otherwise, your marketing and promo efforts will be piss poor

I believe have 300 followers that all support and listen to my music is better than 3,000 followers with only 50 people listen to my music.

Totally agree with this, it's all about reaching/creating those 1000 true fans.

Also keep in mind that your instagram followers are mostly on mobile and its harder to make them click on a link or listen to a song, I usually use it less to promote material but rather just to build the brand.

reminds of the numbers quoted for public radio shows

for every telephone call to the station you get whilst on air that equates to about 100 listeners

for every letter to you at the station that equates to about 300 listeners

i.e. fans of your show who make contact are an indicator of a far larger listening base

how this translates to interpreting social media figures is beyond me, but it is a numbers game that can be used a gauge of true fans and vice versa

So I've run into a problem. I've recently been using twitter and instagram to promote my music! I started by following people and have them follow me back. Most of these people being interested in the type of music I make by their descriptions. I've now gotten to over 1,000 followers on twitter and I've come to the issue where I don't know if I should keep gaining followers by following them back, or to gain them much more slowly by just letting them find me. The followers is get by not following back would be more genuine and I would look more legitimate, but if I follow people back I'll be getting 100-200 followers a day instead of 3-4 which in turn is more people getting my links in their feeds. I just don't know

Here's the thing with twitter: If you are using it to build and sustain a fan base you need to tweet about your [whatever] in a way that is engaging with your audience and delivers. If you fail in one of those aspects people will stop paying attention. #contentIsKing

It's very difficult to get exposure. I have 22k followers on Twitter but they barely watch my videos on YouTube, just retweet my tweets and ask for shoutouts. I recommend getting a loyal fan base, people that will almost guarantee listen to all your tracks. I believe have 300 followers that all support and listen to my music is better than 3,000 followers with only 50 people listen to my music. There is no exact way to get your fan base and even I don't know how.
Also, watch out for Twitter churning (following and unfollowing for followers) because Twitter will suspend your account. They never ban your account for it but it is annoying having your account suspended for 3 days.

good to know thanks

What i'd do in your position is starting actual relationships with those people following you right now.
High Iollower counts are overrated imo, 5 active fans that *really* follow your music, share it with their friends and on the internet are probably much more effective than 500 followers that do not really care. Also most people that follow back everyone have so much stuff in their feed, they probably won't even see yours.
So what I would do is starting to comment on their posts, start an actual conversation etc...

Make sure you are providing value and a real authentic relationship. Like some people in here have stated, high follower counts are over rated. Imagine having 100,000 followers and none of them are engaged or mess with you. The guy who has 500 dedicated engaged followers will be making more money and building more trust than the guy with 100,000. Keep grinding.

Use tools like Buffer app as well.

I would suggest you stop trying to promote online.The whole point of facebook and twitter is to create a place where your fans (people you have already built personal relationships with) have direct contact with you and you with them. I would suggest you press up some copies of whatever it is your working on and hit the streets with it. Also take advantage of open mic nights in and around your city to gain exposure.

I just posted this on a different thread but I think it also applies to your question.

1) DO NOT SPAM - This is a very annoying and poor tactic to gain a fan base. Posting your music link in blogs, forums, etc. is actually hurting your brand rather than helping it.

2) Engage with other artists - Reach out to other artists. Give them feedback to what they did good or bad. Share their music around if you really like it. Don't cut them down but just try to help them grow as an artist. They will appreciate this gesture and more than likely will come check out your music as well and may even share your music as well. FREE PROMOTION!!!
3) Make good music - Even if you are engaging with others and giving good feedback and sharing their music, you have to make sure that you are putting out quality music as well. If you music lacks quality, then no one will like it and will pass on it. If you don't know how to mix or master your music, then hire that service out so that you can get your music crystal clear. Do not put out half down work too. I mean you can from time to time to get opinions on what you are currently working on but you want to always put out your best music.

Hope this helps you out. I myself used to just blast my links everywhere and wasn't seeing any results so I joined a group called GTS Movement that has really helped me gain perspective on how to engage and build up on my brand. I've been seeing results as well. Hit 200 followers on Twitter as of yesterday only being on it for a month and a half, 160+ followers on soundcloud, and closing in on 1300 total plays on my YouTube videos again only being on these social media platforms for a month and a half! Good luck!!!

Back