Producers what are you willing to barter for your product?

G

Are you al about the up-front cash or the back end? Would you except any other form of payment as a bartering option? Serious Answers only please.

Are you al about the up-front cash or the back end? Would you except any other form of payment as a bartering option? Serious Answers only please.

It completely depends on what I'm in need of at the moment. Most of the time I'll only take cash or credit for payment. Bartering with musicians for anything less the monetary exchange can be bad for business if you're not careful. I see it like this, those who don't have the money to pay affordable prices are less likely to be successful with their music releases. Therefore, why would I sell myself short for them? It seems counter productive to trade for anything that doesn't make money, so I prefer cash or credit 99% of the time.

I can def. see it as something not to do as often. But you are right, why sell yourself short? I was thinking well you cant afford the beat outright, then why don't you buy gear I need? In another post I reference someone who bartered for fashion because the country he was in didn't have all the American gear he wanted. In a way its great because you can spend more time perfecting/learning your craft(vs. going to the mall to buy shoes) and both ends are satisfied. Back to the gear notion, most companies have options to pay in installments instead of the flat out rate. So the client buts say a $400 peice of gear equivilant to the exclusive of a beat but they only have to pay $100 approx installments for a few months.

Of course cash is better because you can't barter to pay bills or rent. But i think bartering is a great way to get things you need.

"Todd Beauchamp, a part-time music producer in Los Angeles who routinely trades session time for equipment and agreements with artists to play on other records.

Read more: Bartering: Buying without spending cash Bartering: Buying without spending cash

Last edited:
Yeah, they do things similarly at Guitar Center and other retail stores. I'll often offer installments if they can't afford my work outright; however, I'll also set up auto billing so full payment is received in a timely manner. If you allow people to procrastinate, they'll do it nine times out of ten. Even those who have the money to pay you in full will try to negotiate payments in order to save money. People who can afford to buy beats, or gear, will need to find another producer to work with.

Usually I prefer up-front money when it comes to new customers. But if I know the guy can make something out of a song and get good promotion and exposure for the song, then I might think of some other way if the client wants that. But usually those deals are a total dead-end in my experience, you have to know the guy well to make it work.

ive traded verses from known rappers for beats.
other than that, nah.
people who've bought beats have later hooked me up with cool stuff but i never said yo get me so n so item and we'll call it even on the beats

sidenote: before i get hit with the flam... i would not trade any rapper beats in exchange for verses unless i brought it up to them first and they were buzzing or extremely talented.
an unknown artist contacting me to exchange his self perceived godly raps for beats will get the no.

Very true JC, never let someone try to run one over you. You work hard to be where you are. As much as I love to teach others and give back, free wont get me to that next level.

Very true on the other posts, on what the client has to offer. But keep in mind that you initially determing the bidding rate. Ask them if they are willing to barter. I bet you could get a new Ipad for an exclusive beat. Seems fair, the value is there.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

@Lifeadeath I see what your saying and I'm the same way, yet a lot of these cats that want track lack in fans or substantial promotion skills. I didn't spend 4hours on a track to just give it away especially if its not going anywhere.

@Djaycas Thats a good way to do things. Especially if their known, I wouldn't trade w/ a subpar person either unless it was really worth my time.

I'd trade production for significant amounts of exotic marijuana (no reggies or kush or anything common in my location like that).
I'd trade for equipment, software, promotion agreements, an semi-expensive lunch (sometimes), supplies (cables, cords, jacks, etc.).

I'd prefer cash, but since I am a supporter of barter and trade I don't mind doing that every now and then.

id sell a beat for an ounce of some kush

SMH, that's just out of line.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

ive traded verses from known rappers for beats.
other than that, nah.
people who've bought beats have later hooked me up with cool stuff but i never said yo get me so n so item and we'll call it even on the beats

sidenote: before i get hit with the flam... i would not trade any rapper beats in exchange for verses unless i brought it up to them first and they were buzzing or extremely talented.
an unknown artist contacting me to exchange his self perceived godly raps for beats will get the no.

Why trade beats for verses? Is it because your looking for new customers, or for the practice of mixing vocals with your beats? I'm just curious because I'm not sure what the end goal is with that type of arrangement...

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

I'd trade production for significant amounts of exotic marijuana (no reggies or kush or anything common in my location like that).
I'd trade for equipment, software, promotion agreements, an semi-expensive lunch (sometimes), supplies (cables, cords, jacks, etc.).

I'd prefer cash, but since I am a supporter of barter and trade I don't mind doing that every now and then.

PotHeadz

SMH, that's just out of line.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Why trade beats for verses? Is it because your looking for new customers, or for the practice of mixing vocals with your beats? I'm just curious because I'm not sure what the end goal is with that type of arrangement...

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

PotHeadz

I recorded over 1000 local artists and this is what I did in most cases
1.artist would agree two record two songs
2.one I would use on my mixtape,one song the artist would do whatever they want with it
3.do this till I had about 60 to 65 mins of songs
4.mixed them,do some fx stuff,make tight,some loudness mastering
5.sell to family,friends,co-workers

did 6 mixtapes sold about 1,500 per mixtape...
no money was ever exchanged because they got a free beat and song recorded and mixed..but most just rode around listening to their stuff,showing off for friends I'm sure...but I pushed their songs and had they contact info on the mixtape

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

I doubt that would happen at this point, but (legit) equipment/software. Maybe some vintage equipment, some drums, etc. Its gotta have some value to me.

PotHeadz

oh nah. Like i said with artists that have a buzz.
trading for the opportunity to mix somebodies vocals wouldnt make sense because im sure most rappers would give you a shot at a free mix anyway.

but for an artist with a name (Nipsey Hussle, Freddie Gibbz, Kendrick Lamar type) getting a verse from them for this project im putting together (sort of a DJ Khaled type album with features from rappers) is worth trading them some beats
that or possibly selling the verse later on
i can make money off the verse or put the verse out as a leak from my tape to increase interest/clientele
so its all going towards building

hopefully i cleared that up.

oh nah. Like i said with artists that have a buzz.
trading for the opportunity to mix somebodies vocals wouldnt make sense because im sure most rappers would give you a shot at a free mix anyway.

but for an artist with a name (Nipsey Hussle, Freddie Gibbz, Kendrick Lamar type) getting a verse from them for this project im putting together (sort of a DJ Khaled type album with features from rappers) is worth trading them some beats
that or possibly selling the verse later on
i can make money off the verse or put the verse out as a leak from my tape to increase interest/clientele
so its all going towards building

hopefully i cleared that up.

did the same thing locally and it works got tons of work from it
and plan on doing the same thing now with a new twist full production/song development and deal with christian acts only

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

those who don't have the money to pay affordable prices are less likely to be successful with their music releases

how does that even make any sense, though?

just because you're BROKE doesn't mean you ain't HOT -

and just because you got money don't mean you're gonna move units -

well success & talent are two different things.
generally speaking if a rapper cannot afford to buy beats he probably also cannot afford to promote his music as flyers, commercials/advertisements & other ways of promotion would also cost him money.
the most talented artists in the world, despite all of his talent.. will not be successful if his music goes unheard.

Back