Producers Selling Same Beat To Different Artists?

wavygrvy

Hey FP, over the years I've realized many producers give different artists the same beats, how does this work? Does the artist just lease the track? but how are they making money, music videos, touring with just a lease? doesnt really make sense they must buy the exclusive right? but then how is the producer selling the same beat to different artists? My guess is, the producer can sell that beat since it is his intellectual property and the rapper probably understands that producers need to do this to make a living, you need work smart not so much hard. Can someone help me understand how these producers give multiple artists the same beats? how does this work? Who said we cant sell same beat to multiple artists? Zaytoven has talked about this, especially how his "Versace" beat with Migos. Cant seem to find that exact video but i think it was on djvlads youtube channel.

For Example:

Migos- Versace was a couple different peoples beats before Migos made it really big.

Chief Keef - Law & Order is the same beat as Bankroll Fresh - ESPN

Future - Live from the gutter is the same beat as Young Thug - I mean

DJ Spinz produced for Wiz and Travis scott Bake Sale is the same beat as G Eazy -Order More

Ty Dolla Sign - familiar is the same beat as Chief Keef- Let it blow

There are a couple more I found by TM88, London On the Track etc.

Check out my documents section on my website for this type of information. Documentation - Admin | centricbeats.com

There are a lot of gray areas with intellectual property.
But you being the property owner can write your own contract.

With a non exclusive contract you can sell your beat to as many people that will buy it until the exclusive rights to the beat is purchased.
In my non exclusive contract they can only use the beat in one live performance and or one video release for 1 year.
After that and no one has purchased the exclusive right they are required to purchase the non exclusive rights again.

If a exclusive rights contract is purchased to a beat that hasnt gone past a year the artist is in the right. If pasted a year simply contact them and or send them a Cease and Desist Letter.

As far as the examples you gave i wouldn't be surprised if those artist didnt even know how the beat was obtained.

There isnt a way that i am aware of that you can know if someone is breaching the contract other then staying up to date with the artist.

Im sure there are others on this site that can give more info on the subject.

See this is where i get confused, who says the artist will even come back to you to renew the lease? lol i feel like they wont even care, its more of a one time thing you either pay for the lease and do little with it or buy the exclusive and do what you want.

Check out my documents section on my website for this type of information. Documentation - Admin | centricbeats.com

There are a lot of gray areas with intellectual property.
But you being the property owner can write your own contract.

With a non exclusive contract you can sell your beat to as many people that will buy it until the exclusive rights to the beat is purchased.
In my non exclusive contract they can only use the beat in one live performance and or one video release for 1 year.
After that and no one has purchased the exclusive right they are required to purchase the non exclusive rights again.

If a exclusive rights contract is purchased to a beat that hasnt gone past a year the artist is in the right. If pasted a year simply contact them and or send them a Cease and Desist Letter.

As far as the examples you gave i wouldn't be surprised if those artist didnt even know how the beat was obtained.

There isnt a way that i am aware of that you can know if someone is breaching the contract other then staying up to date with the artist.

Im sure there are others on this site that can give more info on the subject.

See this is where i get confused, who says the artist will even come back to you to renew the lease? lol i feel like they wont even care, its more of a one time thing you either pay for the lease and do little with it or buy the exclusive and do what you want.

It really wouldn't matter in the beat-leasing business. You are pursuing quantity over quality anyway. The goal is to make so many beats every month that you can keep your gems for potential serious artists or placement opportunities. If your contract states they have to renew their lease after a certain date of use, then they are legally bound to that portion of the contract. As a beat leasing operator, you actually want them to blow up off of your track since you'll get to collect your royalties anyway and usually get to sue for most or all of the money they made.

It's the trade off of waiting for an artist to pay you $100s or $1000s for exclusive rights and/or future royalties vs actually making "some" money leasing 100s of beats to artists you have no faith in or connection with. Both scenarios are rolling the dice, so it really depends on your financial situation. If you're not putting in at least $500 per month to promote a beat leasing company, you're wasting your time if you're trying to make serious money from it. The guys making six figures are usually putting $1000s into their marketing campaigns. Do what's best for you though my man. if it's more like you make beats when you have time, and not consistently (like everyday), then beat leasing may not be the best way to go, since you don't have enough beats to risk losing some good tracks to whack artists or disloyal customers.

Cheers!

thanks that opened my eyes lol how can i promote myself for 500$ a month? i noticed you can make a 10-30 second ad for youtube showing off your beat selling site, also twitter offers a tweet promotion but these are not really reliable im assuming? what are some other ways i can promote my site each month by paying?

It really wouldn't matter in the beat-leasing business. You are pursuing quantity over quality anyway. The goal is to make so many beats every month that you can keep your gems for potential serious artists or placement opportunities. If your contract states they have to renew their lease after a certain date of use, then they are legally bound to that portion of the contract. As a beat leasing operator, you actually want them to blow up off of your track since you'll get to collect your royalties anyway and usually get to sue for most or all of the money they made.

It's the trade off of waiting for an artist to pay you $100s or $1000s for exclusive rights and/or future royalties vs actually making "some" money leasing 100s of beats to artists you have no faith in or connection with. Both scenarios are rolling the dice, so it really depends on your financial situation. If you're not putting in at least $500 per month to promote a beat leasing company, you're wasting your time if you're trying to make serious money from it. The guys making six figures are usually putting $1000s into their marketing campaigns. Do what's best for you though my man. if it's more like you make beats when you have time, and not consistently (like everyday), then beat leasing may not be the best way to go, since you don't have enough beats to risk losing some good tracks to whack artists or disloyal customers.

Cheers!

thanks that opened my eyes lol how can i promote myself for 500$ a month? i noticed you can make a 10-30 second ad for youtube showing off your beat selling site, also twitter offers a tweet promotion but these are not really reliable I'm assuming? what are some other ways i can promote my site each month by paying?

You can place ads on different websites that direct traffic to your webpage or beat store. I know some cats spend $500-$1000 on 1 ad, but the site is usually one that has a frequent flow of people who buy the kind of beats they're selling. You also have facebook ads, google adwords, automated beat stores, automated social network managers, automated mailing campaign systems, sites that research competition, etc.

You could easily spend $1500 getting things going for a serious beat leasing company. And then there is "brand consistency" with all of the web gadgets you use in order to find your target consumers. In other words, what do you feel separates you from the 1000s of other producers? Beat leasing is tricky nowadays. It can be extremely lucrative if you're willing to put in the time and money. But if you're trying to sell beats to purely serious artists or get placements and such, that's more about time than money. The term "struggling artist" is real, b/c if you don't have the capital to put yourself out there, you'll need to put more time into networking, and that usually takes years for most people.

Cheers!

damn thank you so much, are any websites or books that talk about stuff like this? i need to learn this

You can place ads on different websites that direct traffic to your webpage or beat store. I know some cats spend $500-$1000 on 1 ad, but the site is usually one that has a frequent flow of people who buy the kind of beats they're selling. You also have facebook ads, google adwords, automated beat stores, automated social network managers, automated mailing campaign systems, sites that research competition, etc.

You could easily spend $1500 getting things going for a serious beat leasing company. And then there is "brand consistency" with all of the web gadgets you use in order to find your target consumers. In other words, what do you feel separates you from the 1000s of other producers? Beat leasing is tricky nowadays. It can be extremely lucrative if you're willing to put in the time and money. But if you're trying to sell beats to purely serious artists or get placements and such, that's more about time than money. The term "struggling artist" is real, b/c if you don't have the capital to put yourself out there, you'll need to put more time into networking, and that usually takes years for most people.

Cheers!

damn thank you so much, are any websites or books that talk about stuff like this? i need to learn this

I'm in the process of putting together a video explaining this and how this whole thing works. I'll send you a message when it's posted. It'll be free when I initially post, but I'll probably end up selling it for a few bucks later.

Unfortunately, there is not much information about this that can be obtained from one source alone. It is on the web, but you'd have to have a huge understanding of digital marketing to grasp a lot of the mechanics behind it. My video will try to explain it in layman's terms so the average producer can put it into action steps. This was like trying to read an alien language when I first got into it. I have the knowledge but I don't have time to make the beats in bulk anymore due to other obligations.

But yea man, don't let anyone tell you it's not about the money...it's always about how much capital you have or how much someone is willing to financially invest in your business.

Cheers

thanks a lot man i appreciate looking forward to your message

I'm in the process of putting together a video explaining this and how this whole thing works. I'll send you a message when it's posted. It'll be free when I initially post, but I'll probably end up selling it for a few bucks later.

Unfortunately, there is not much information about this that can be obtained from one source alone. It is on the web, but you'd have to have a huge understanding of digital marketing to grasp a lot of the mechanics behind it. My video will try to explain it in layman's terms so the average producer can put it into action steps. This was like trying to read an alien language when I first got into it. I have the knowledge but I don't have time to make the beats in bulk anymore due to other obligations.

But yea man, don't let anyone tell you it's not about the money...it's always about how much capital you have or how much someone is willing to financially invest in your business.

Cheers

Back