Producers!!!! Quit now before its too late!!!!

No one "knows" Diplo any more than they'd know Ryan Lewis. They go to clubs to have fun and he happens to be there spinning as part of a "package deal". Like..."we're going out to dance, drink, holla at some chicks...and Diplo's DJing!!! He's interchangeable with Ryan Lewis if the venue is properly promoted.

Pharrell is absolutely an artist. Even though we as producers know him as "a producer", fans look at him as an artist above everything else like Prince or Rick James.

Mike Will...he's probably about as "known by face" as Ryan lewis was before he did that segment, lol. Now more people know what Ryan looks like by far.

I feel you on Mike Will, but Diplo is definitely more "known" than Ryan Lewis. I'm not saying DJing is what makes him, but it's his "other thing" that's allowed to him reach more people.
Diplo is active on social media (1.2M followers), in commercials, runs a notable indie label (w/ Riff Raff). And Diplo has worked with a lot more acts.
I feel like a in major city way more people are noticing Diplo than RL.

^^^You're just a fan. No more no less.

In the end, his label with Riff Raff...not so notable that it pushes him to a status beyond Ryan Lewis(especially in comparison to whatever Macklemore and Ryan have as 'a label"). Working with more artists means nothing to anyone who's not checking inserts and really means nothing in the long run once Ryan starts working with more. Ryan Lewis is in commercials with Macklemore no different than Diplo. I'm in no way saying they're "the same", but same bracket. Followers? 500k, 1M... no big difference, it will change the second Ryan does any little thing more. It's like saying since Jay-Z($500M) isn't as rich as Puff Daddy($700M) he can't do all the same stuff Puff Daddy does.

In a major city, people are going to the club to see a famous DJ, nice environment, hear good music, get drinks, hook up, dance, ect. Diplo or Ryan Lewis(if he even DJ's)are interchangeable in any successful venue. No one goes to the club "just to see Diplo", and by "no one", I mean the 20 people who would skip the venue because he wasn't there or would only go because he was won't make a substantial difference. It would mean an extra 5 minutes before packing to capacity.

I'm not talking about both in the same town same night and having to choose, BTW, I'm just saying I can pack a club to capacity with any of these guys if the venue is right, and if it's crappy, it wouldn't matter that they're there. Now if you're talking Skrillex, Deadmau5 or Calvin Harris...DIFFERENT BRACKET.

As a fan of Diplo, you're statusing him a little further up the totem pole than he is. I'd probably have an easier time packing a club with the guy from Jersey Shore on the bill. Not saying Diplo isn't big, just not so big he's not comparable to Ryan Lewis who's fairly big himself.

Last edited:
^^^You're just a fan. No more no less.

In the end, his label with Riff Raff...not so notable that it pushes him to a status beyond Ryan Lewis(especially in comparison to whatever Macklemore and Ryan have as 'a label"). Working with more artists means nothing to anyone who's not checking inserts and really means nothing in the long run once Ryan starts working with more. Ryan Lewis is in commercials with Macklemore no different than Diplo. I'm in no way saying they're "the same", but same bracket. Followers? 500k, 1M... no big difference, it will change the second Ryan does any little thing more. It's like saying since Jay-Z($500M) isn't as rich as Puff Daddy($700M) he can't do all the same stuff Puff Daddy does.

In a major city, people are going to the club to see a famous DJ, nice environment, hear good music, get drinks, hook up, dance, ect. Diplo or Ryan Lewis(if he even DJ's)are interchangeable in any successful venue. No one goes to the club "just to see Diplo", and by "no one", I mean the 20 people who would skip the venue because he wasn't there or would only go because he was won't make a substantial difference. It would mean an extra 5 minutes before packing to capacity.

I'm not talking about both in the same town same night and having to choose, BTW, I'm just saying I can pack a club to capacity with any of these guys if the venue is right, and if it's crappy, it wouldn't matter that they're there. Now if you're talking Skrillex, Deadmau5 or Calvin Harris...DIFFERENT BRACKET.

As a fan of Diplo, you're statusing him a little further up the totem pole than he is. I'd probably have an easier time packing a club with the guy from Jersey Shore on the bill. Not saying Diplo isn't big, just not so big he's not comparable to Ryan Lewis who's fairly big himself.

I'm not going to front, I'm a Diplo fan, but I still feel he's more recognizable then Ryan Lewis.

I think Diplo would find it a little harder to ask people in the street if they knew anything about Diplo, without them recognizing him (that s if they know he is to begin with). This may be me speaking as fan, but if you know Diplo's name you probably know his face, not sure the same can be said Ryan Lewis at the same percentage.

I feel you on the whole club thing though, he's definitely not f***ing with the other DJ's you pointed out

^^^I know Diplo's music well, even seen lots of footage of him DJing. Wouldn't recognize him or Deadmau5 without the helmet. Would only recognize Skrillex because he looks so weird. Lol. I guess my vote doesn't count, because I'd recognize Mike Will and doubt many others would.

If you in it for the fame , you srly are in the wrong business but there is thing like if you can produce someone else , you can produce your self .I know plenty producers who were working for others for years but one day they just put everything else behind them and started working on their own image to come out to the public eye

Last edited:
No one "knows" Diplo any more than they'd know Ryan Lewis. They go to clubs to have fun and he happens to be there spinning as part of a "package deal". Like..."we're going out to dance, drink, holla at some chicks...and Diplo's DJing!!! He's interchangeable with Ryan Lewis if the venue is properly promoted.

Pharrell is absolutely an artist. Even though we as producers know him as "a producer", fans look at him as an artist above everything else like Prince or Rick James.

Mike Will...he's probably about as "known by face" as Ryan lewis was before he did that segment, lol. Now more people know what Ryan looks like by far.

woah .. diplo would def be spotted quicker then ryan lewis.. waaayy quicker bro.. i'm not sure if your old or not but the young hipster crowd would surely spot him out... i know that for a fact..

Back