Producers being paid for shows?

bendorr

So I was looking through the BMI website and saw a lot about being paid for radio, but it showed that the average payment is about 8 cents a spin. So it only makes sense that producers have to make a bulk of their money somewhere else. And since album sales went to shit, when an artist performs a song that you produced at a show, does the producer get a percentage of that song performed? So if it's a rather large artist making a hundred racks a show, performing ten songs, that breaks down to 10 thou per song, does the producer make something like 3-4 thousand when his song is performed? sorry for being confusing, just curious. Thank you!

Yes I do get paid when an artist performs with my work.

Any time the artist gets paid for something that involves a producers work the producer gets paid.

Though BMI and ASCAP dont cover that, another service covers just performances. (I cant remember the name of it right now though).

If you wanna make money with music these days you gotta perform live. At least thats what I hear. (Djing, etc..)

depends on how famous.kanye famous?1-4 mil a year.average fame?60-500 thousand yearly.
no live shows just itunes?5000 a year tops.them tickets cost so much to pay salaries.football tickets these days too, wow.

but how much are they paid for each performance? if the artist makes like 10 grand per song for his concert does the artist get about 5 racks for each song he produced?

You dont make 100k until you do huge stadiums.

Most rappers do clubs and small values with maybe 3000 people.

They make probably 40k a show after venue has been paid, management take %15, label takes a cut, a large portion goes directly into the artists pocket, some of whats left goes to the crew, then whats left gets split between the producers, so probably <5% for each song.

I remember mac miller tickets were $30 at a venue with that many people, so there was around 90K of free cash to split around

depends on how famous.kanye famous?1-4 mil a year.average fame?60-500 thousand yearly.
no live shows just itunes?5000 a year tops.them tickets cost so much to pay salaries.football tickets these days too, wow.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Don't seem right to me. Define 'average' fame..

average fame like hm...i dunno if i had to define an "average" famous guy it'd be somebody like tyga or one of those underground but still kinda famous fellas.them clowns is hilarious

maybe kanye doesnt make that much in a year, but i dunno it feels like he does to me, getting deals for shoes, his albums his live shows plus the digital market.At one point i believe that dude turned down nike.

Last edited:
If all you care about is how much money you can make then please uninstall your daw right now. This thread has gone on much longer than it need to.

If all you care about is how much money you can make then please uninstall your daw right now. This thread has gone on much longer than it need to.

while i do agree i also feel like its nothing wrong with wanting to know how much money you'll make or how you'll make that money using your craft. not before a person is a good producer though.

I was just curious, I'm only 14 but I've been making beats since 9, I'd do music if all I would be was broke in an apartment

Kanyes net worth is 120 million, which breaks down to an average of about 32 million a year.

Net worth is not calculated like that lol.. But still, I was gonna say Kanye definitely makes more than 1-4 mill a year. But from the start I was never talking about kanye type fame..why would we be.

Net worth is not calculated like that lol.. But still, I was gonna say Kanye definitely makes more than 1-4 mill a year. But from the start I was never talking about kanye type fame..why would we be.
haha i was just talking off of what complex music said.

while i do agree i also feel like its nothing wrong with wanting to know how much money you'll make or how you'll make that money using your craft. not before a person is a good producer though.

Wrong. Looking at how much another producer makes indicates nothing about how much an equal or even more talented producer may make.

I was just curious, I'm only 14 but I've been making beats since 9, I'd do music if all I would be was broke in an apartment

Right. Although you'll find out in a few years apartments aren't that cheap either hahaha

Last edited:
Wrong. Looking at how much another producer makes indicates nothing about how much an equal or even more talented producer may make.

Yes because know what other people sell beats for could never help you price your own, its all estimates at the end of the day. Also that wasn't even a statement you say "wrong" to. you can disagree but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid, you're just a cynic i see though, that's cool.

Back