Producers, Artists and Contracts HELP

wavygrvy

Hey FP, I am a bit confused about contracts between producers/artists and copyright. Can someone from the U.S. help me out here? Not just me but a lot of beginner producers that need this information.

-What are some general things to put in my contract for leases/exclusives?

-Lets say i sell an exclusive and the song/artist takes off just like Desiigner- Panda song, produced by Menace, he said that he did everything he could in the contract to get paid and royalties from it? What exactly did he do to ensure this? This is my main question. He sold the exclusive for 200$ but makes money still from royalties. Do you include your P.R.O. ID number and real name in the contract or is this something that the label contacts me and wants to get it signed and cleared? How do I put in my contract that I want for example 3 points on the finished single or album?

-Is it true that if you copyright your beats, that later on when selling the exclusive, I lose my rights since I sell the exclusive rights? I heard this, but I dont believe it. To my understanding I can copyright the beat, sell it as an exclusive and since it is my publishing rights I can demand a few points from the finished product whether its a single or album, can some one confirm this?

-When you sell an exclusive license, I still own the copyright of the instrumental correct? I am just giving them an exclusive license to use exclusively for them. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks FP

Back