Producer Strike (Seriously)

B

BaZix

I might sound like I'm just complaining about everything, but I'm really tired of the same old story "I don't have any money but I will give you full credits on my mixtape/album and you will get promo, bla bla, end up famous for working with me" etc etc
I think we should do a strike for a period of time, like all producers stop giving beats away for free. (I know its almost impossible to convince almost everyone)
And just see what the artists/rappers do, I honestly think that 80% of the current aspiring rappers/artists will quite because they can't even ****ing give at least 10$ for an amazing beat, not to mention exclusive sales.
Some sort of campaign to inform them if they don't put money in their work , they won't get money out of their work. It's that simple.
We as producers invested large sums of money in our equipment , our knowledge of music and in return we get a dumb rapper who says he only wants free beats and he also probably sucks.
Rarely I have ever seen a post in the Collaborations forum saying that they will pay at least 5 $ for a lease.
And to the producers that give beats away for free, let's say it's good for your portfolio, but the artist who probably gets your free beats won't reach anywhere so that beat placed with him got you nowhere. It's your work, your time your creativity , your ideas, they have a huge huge value, even the wackest beat has immense value because it's something that you created. So it's cheap to sell it even at the standard 20$ lease, if you are giving it away for free you simply put no value in your work, and consider that other people shouldn't also value your work.
This is what I had to say, sorry for raging around here, I just had to put this up. Maybe you will agree or disagree with me but I think in the end it's not worth giving beats away for free.

I completely agree, but you see what happened.. It became easier to become an 'artist' & a 'producer'. & you see how many of these niggas out here money hungry. Niggas got the game ****ed up that's all it is. Whether you say I'm on strike or not I'm still going to live by my values, but I feel exactly where you're coming from. I've never had uh rapper say that ta me, not luckily, but because I simply do not network with broke niggas, period.

I understand your frustration, but to be honest, a producer-wide strike is practically impossible. Although there are indeed many uncouthed rappers out there who play the "rags to riches" card and opt out of investing money into good beats, you gotta understand that for the producer, giving out free beats, as you said, is 'good for your portfolio' since it is an easy form of promotion. It's just like how you go to the mall, walk past the food court and the workers there may offer you a free sample to give you an idea of what you'd be investing in if you go to their restaurant. The same applies here to music: producers give out free tracks to impress newcomers and hope that the newcomers will be returning customers ready to buy some beats.

It is difficult, but you may just have to market yourself to a more mature audience and/or clientele. People that appreciate music more would generally be less likely to be the cheap mixtape rappers that live on Soundclick and other places. Try to use different strategies to make yourself more appealing to better potential customers.

It takes patience because, yes, many rappers will glaze over your beats in search of freebies and cheapies from other producers, but consider this analogy: many people want the used old honda civic, but there still are some people willing to pay up for an acura. If you make great quality beats and market yourself as a quality producer and refuse to use certain marketing tactics that budget-oriented producers use, then you will eventually attract the serious musicians who seek quality.

the top sellers on Soundclick did this already and then brought back the free downloads

I don't know why they did

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

the top sellers on Soundclick did this already and then brought back the free downloads

I don't know why they did

-Coach Antonio

Yup, as this guy said, the movement already happened! Just everybody is not in it! Where've you been bro?

This problem seems to mainly be in hip hop...artist in other genres are paying full price and happy about it.

I feel you 100%! I had a client that I offered a rare deal of 2 exclusives for $150 and that was our agreement, but he got uppity and said "I haven't paid for a beat in a while, but since you are my BRO I buy a beat for $25." I told his ass we are not BROs we are business associates, I do not make $25 beats. I guess performing at clubs with my music made him seem like he was doing me a favor, but what he or any other artist do not understand that they are dancing to the PRODUCERS music. Nobody is going to dance to a acapella lol.

As much as I hate giving out free beats, I still do. It makes good for promotion, like one of the posts said.. It's a good way to for customers to come back when they are more serious about working.

I feel you 100%! I had a client that I offered a rare deal of 2 exclusives for $150 and that was our agreement, but he got uppity and said "I haven't paid for a beat in a while, but since you are my BRO I buy a beat for $25." I told his ass we are not BROs we are business associates, I do not make $25 beats. I guess performing at clubs with my music made him seem like he was doing me a favor, but what he or any other artist do not understand that they are dancing to the PRODUCERS music. Nobody is going to dance to a acapella lol.

Word, I hate that when artists think they're doing you a favor when they rap on your beat! A popular artist even made a joke about that! He made a video and the person started rapping and no one was feeling him, and then they had some one beatbox with it and people started going crazy. As a matter a fact, here it is:

Word, I hate that when artists think they're doing you a favor when they rap on your beat! A popular artist even made a joke about that! He made a video and the person started rapping and no one was feeling him, and then they had some one beatbox with it and people started going crazy. As a matter a fact, here it is:

116 till I die ya'll
for those that don't know

Romans 1:16
King James Version (KJV)
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

-Coach Antonio

I think a lot of producers should learn more than just hip hop. Why not start making pop beats, as well Rb beats. Do it all. Shows these artist that this is what you do. Also build relationships with them as well. Some months are easier than others. You might have to look into a 9 to 5, and hire a good seo company, then consider doing this full time. If your clients believe in your product they will buy

I think a lot of producers should learn more than just hip hop. Why not start making pop beats, as well Rb beats. Do it all. Shows these artist that this is what you do. Also build relationships with them as well. Some months are easier than others. You might have to look into a 9 to 5, and hire a good seo company, then consider doing this full time. If your clients believe in your product they will buy

:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

"Don't quit your day job!" Look into other genres! Well said man, well said!

Just stop dealing with bums and fakes....simple

you just never know who the bums and fakes are
but like it was said building true relationships with artists from the jump
I talking about skype calls,phone calls,emailing back and forth
really communiciate with artists

start networking the day you decide you want to make music

-Coach Antonio

Thank you everybody for the responses, I have decided a few months ago that I want to expand more into R&B, started learning guitar about at the same time (a few months ago) . I want to expand my horizons, but until I will be very confident in my cross-genre abilities I will still mainly do hip-hop. I have a few artists 2-3 that I give free beats, but that is because as previously said in this thread, I have relationship with them, I express my opinion on the songs, I help with the creation, I feel like a producer.
But on this thread I failed to explain that I was mentioning the so-called rappers that keep bugging you for free beats, "promotion wise", and so forth.
Anyways thanks again for all the responses, I have mislooked some things and I will simply stop dealing with these kind of rappers (and also stop complaining about it). If someone appreciates my work, he/she will pay for it.

I might sound like I'm just complaining about everything, but I'm really tired of the same old story "I don't have any money but I will give you full credits on my mixtape/album and you will get promo, bla bla, end up famous for working with me" etc etc
I think we should do a strike for a period of time, like all producers stop giving beats away for free. (I know its almost impossible to convince almost everyone)
And just see what the artists/rappers do, I honestly think that 80% of the current aspiring rappers/artists will quite because they can't even ****ing give at least 10$ for an amazing beat, not to mention exclusive sales.
Some sort of campaign to inform them if they don't put money in their work , they won't get money out of their work. It's that simple.
We as producers invested large sums of money in our equipment , our knowledge of music and in return we get a dumb rapper who says he only wants free beats and he also probably sucks.
Rarely I have ever seen a post in the Collaborations forum saying that they will pay at least 5 $ for a lease.
And to the producers that give beats away for free, let's say it's good for your portfolio, but the artist who probably gets your free beats won't reach anywhere so that beat placed with him got you nowhere. It's your work, your time your creativity , your ideas, they have a huge huge value, even the wackest beat has immense value because it's something that you created. So it's cheap to sell it even at the standard 20$ lease, if you are giving it away for free you simply put no value in your work, and consider that other people shouldn't also value your work.
This is what I had to say, sorry for raging around here, I just had to put this up. Maybe you will agree or disagree with me but I think in the end it's not worth giving beats away for free.

If I were you I would learn law, learn music business, and become a record producer. If you can scout for talent, and produce a record for a rapper you can make huge bucks. If you don't think you can come have a chat with me for an hour, and I'll change your mind.

Brian

Hahaha...ol Sho Baraka.. 116unashamed baby...

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Hey ya'll 1st time poster, looooong time lurker (2005)... never really post on forums, but decided to switch it up.. build new relationships w/ other producers/artist, etc.

Anyway, to further elaborate on what indepth said...

Try other genres... when you deal with other genres, they seem respect the business of music more for some odd reason; Just from my experience anyways.

But whatever you do..NEVER GIVE UP!!

Back