Producer Name Problem

808aliennn

Hey FP, I've got a few questions about trademark and name usage. I recently found a U.S. producer with my same name and also 1 over seas that seems to be somewhat of a legit producer, but he spelled his producer name slightly differently so there is a difference.

My question is am i safe to use my producer name even if someone from overseas has the same name with 1 letter difference? also for the US producer that has my same name, should i check to see if anyone has filed for trademark with it? and if they havent, i basically have the right to use it, correct? How do i check if someone has filed for that trademark?

Feedback much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi 808alienn,

You don't need to worry much about the guy overseas, if your serious about your name/brand I would highly suggest you trademark the name asap before the other guy in the U.S. decides to. You can do a search in the trademark database online, just google it and you can see if a trademark has been filed.
Also, you don't necessarily need a lawyer to file a trademark although it's advised if you have the disposable income. If there is a future dispute with the trademark name you will definitely need to budget for a lawyer.

Hope that helps a bit.

Back