Produce Featured Vocalists Legalities

weston_guidero

Say I want to do something like The Chainsmokers and many producers: I write the song/make the beat, do everything, but the vocals/lyrics. How can I protect myself and the featured vocalist legally? How do I split the royalties between us (what site, paperwork, etc.?)

Since this collaboration will be online, how can I make it so my track doesn't get stolen by them while collaborating? It seems impossible unless I had them physically here in my home studio right?

I can't remember everything from my music business class haha. Thanks in advanced,

Weston

A split sheet is what you use and do you and the aforementioned parties have an upload source e.g. WeTransfer, etc.

What college/university did/do you attend for music?

Are you registered w/a PRO?

Thank you for the reply!
I'll use Google Drive.

I recently graduated from Berklee (in boston).

The split sheet is great! Thank you!

I've registered songs with BMI before, however I'm confused on how I register a song before I have the vocals on the track? And there's no uploading tracks, it's just filling out a form. So I don't really understand how they'd know if it was my track beside the name (which an artist can change)? Also it was free which I'm confused about since I thought it cost money.

I'm guessing Google will have the data on me uploading the track as proof? Is that why you asked? haha :)

Would they still be considered the 100% as a songwriter for vocals and lyrics alone? What about just performing vocals alone (no lyrics) 50% of the 200%?

Back