(Probably the millionth) Should I Start Rapping thread

what do you guys think? What all should i do to go about making money?

Sell drugs..

I mean i got a lot of skills but i feel like i just mediocre in all of them cause i cant sit around all day every day practicing i gotta go to classes sometimes.....gotta do homework, and its gonna be even worse next semester cause i took 4 classes compared to having 3 (basically 2) classes this semester. Is it possible for a small town white kid to rap and produce and make it, or are the chances so slim i should just shut the **** up and finish college? Sorry this is so long guys i just had to get it off my chest

All I read was the last paragraph.. You ain't built for this shit, apologizin & shit. If you don't believe in yourself no one will.. You uh college boy..

Sell drugs..

All I read was the last paragraph.. You ain't built for this shit, apologizin & shit. If you don't believe in yourself no one will.. You uh college boy..
Yeah thinking of other people first has always been a problem. And man i done my fair share of trappin. Trust me my area aint good for it.

go to college get a solid 9 to 5
buy equipment while in college and once out of college buy more high-end equipment
1.professional monitors(you might see them as just speakers)
2.acoustic treatment
3.modified microphone a few different ones to fit your voice,Shure SM7b great all around mic too
4.get a decent audio interface
5.practice ,practice,practice
6.buy bangin beats or learn to make them yourself
7.rap over them..take your time know your flows and make decent songs
8.post on the internet everywhere build up a online rap team(you'll probably meet alot of ppl in college too)
9.work for the college radio..get involved in music business/radio/audio engineering
10.scared to get on stage stay a bedroom rapper
11.put your singles,EP,LP on CDbaby/iTunes or Tunecore/iTunes
12.get you family and friends to buy 1000 ppl at $5.00 per album you'll get $3.25=$3,250 your goal is 10,000 ppl
13. take that money and advertise more... get ppl who don't even know about you to notice your music through your online/offline marketing efforts
14.you got that college education in marketing/minor in music technology so you're doing good
you worked at the college radio station,you meet alot of artists and producers that you can now manage
make money off of ...while building their careers

create a interesting blog about the rap/music industry
IN OTHER WORDS GET INVOLVED IN THE BACKGROUND PROFESSIONS OF THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
love to rap then rap drop a couple verses on someone else's album..

contact me if you want some one on one help

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio/press kit writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources

"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"
"My Lord is not black or white he's GLORIOUS"

Last edited:
@fatalone good advice. Right now i just switched my major to this shit called radiologic technology cause its a two year program and i just wanted to do it and get into the field cause its 50k plus a year, but idk wtf. Im not gonna like that. Maybe ill switch it to marketing. Thing is idk what im gonna do after my first 2 years cause right now im going to a community college using fasfa to pay for almost all of it. Jobs are hard to find and shit (cause its a tourist town). My 50 something year old mom cant even find a job right now but im not exactly sure why that is. What i really gotta do is grind harder. Im kinda tryin right now in a few ways but I could do so much more. Lookin at how i sound in the original post made me realize that. I just gotta get outta this dumb ass feelin sorry for myself state. I already know that doesnt do shit. Plenty of people got it worse than me. Im lucky to have the shit i already got. It all seems like so much idk where to start, but i guess the start is to just make the music for fun. Which i enjoy. So maybe ill do that, switch my classes up to business classes, and just see where life takes me.

Last edited:
i just wanna get the shit over with lol. It just doesnt feel right you know? Like i feel like something is calling me and i just cant find out what. Maybe its jail.....or something tellingm e i gotta change my ways....i gotta do something i just got that feeling of impending doom going on lol.

Last edited:
Don't talk about it, be about it.

It sounds like you want to make money as a rapper to me. Your passion is there, but you lack the confidence needed to achieve this goal. This is a common state of mind that people in the music business have. There's nothing wrong with a lack of confidence in beginning of your career. After all, why should you have confidence in something you have little experience with? This is why most rap artist are more comfortable free-styling with friends instead of entertaining strangers. Find a way to push through this fear everyday and your confidence will build over time.

The truth is that making money in this business is easiest for entertainers. You don't need at team in the beginning, so don't let that be a concern of yours. A team will make themselves available to you as you experience success. Besides, you don't need a team until you have a business; and, you don't have a business yet. At least, it doesn't seem like you do. I'm telling you the same thing I tell anyone who wants to make money doing what they love. Do as much as you can for yourself, by yourself. Be extremely careful when dealing with so called professionals and labels. This business was established by stealing from ignorant and arrogant musicians. Hopefully, you won't experience this in your career.

alxgry said:
My 50 something year old mom cant even find a job right now but im not exactly sure why that is.

It's great that you're in college, but I wouldn't depend on a college education for future income. In today's society, a college diploma cost more than it's worth and rarely do students make what they need. And the reason your mom, and other Americans are struggling, is because businesses are closing their doors and down sizing. The world is finding the business who have corrupt practices and avoiding them at all cost. The internet has a big part to play in this as well. There are quite a few more reasons for our economy being where it is. Those are just a few things I've noticed while working in the communications industry.

Work hard and smart to avoid being poor, or in lower middle class. Set specific financial goals and have deadline dates to accomplish them. Write your goals down and put them in a place where you can see them everyday. Get your a*s onstage, as often as possible, and entertain the f*ck out of people. I mean this literally... People should be uncontrollably excited after watching your performances. The women should be shaking their a*ses and the dudes should be crunk. Anything less is unacceptable.

Set yourself up to make money, and you will.

Here are some tools you'll need in order to make money as a rapper.

1. A professional website. Your website should contain a blog, newsletter sign-up, social network links, a tour schedule, wallpaper downloads, free music downloads, album downloads, and an online store. Your online store should have t-shirts, jump drives, hats, toys, and other memorabilia.
  2. Get your music on iTunes. You can use Tunecore or another online distributor for getting your music into online stores. Please make sure that your album artwork looks professional. Also, have your music professionally mixed and mastered before trying to sell to anyone. Otherwise, just give the songs away an get peoples feedback. Make sure your website is shown on any promo material you decide to give away.
  3. Mobile internet service. With mobile internet service, you'll be able to access your website from anywhere you perform. This will make you most money at your performances, which is also where you'll get the best exposure. Ask people to visit your table and point to your laptop. Tell the crowd to stay in touch by joining your social network and newsletter. People are desperately looking for things to do, so give it them. More and more people will show up at your shows as your contact lists build.

There are tons of other things that can be done to get more music sales. Start with the above list and the money you seek will manifest.

BREAK A LEG

It sounds like you want to make money as a rapper to me. Your passion is there, but you lack the confidence needed to achieve this goal. This is a common state of mind that people in the music business have. There's nothing wrong with a lack of confidence in beginning of your career. After all, why should you have confidence in something you have little experience with? This is why most rap artist are more comfortable free-styling with friends instead of entertaining strangers. Find a way to push through this fear everyday and your confidence will build over time.
The truth is that making money in this business is easiest for entertainers. You don't need at team in the beginning, so don't let that be a concern of yours. A team will make themselves available to you as you experience success. Besides, you don't need a team until you have a business; and, you don't have a business yet. At least, it doesn't seem like you do. I'm telling you the same thing I tell anyone who wants to make money doing what they love. Do as much as you can for yourself, by yourself. Be extremely careful when dealing with so called professionals and labels. This business was established by stealing from ignorant and arrogant musicians. Hopefully, you won't experience this in your career.

It's great that you're in college, but I wouldn't depend on a college education for future income. In today's society, a college diploma cost more than it's worth and rarely do students make what they need. And the reason your mom, and other Americans are struggling, is because businesses are closing their doors and down sizing. The world is finding the business who have corrupt practices and avoiding them at all cost. The internet has a big part to play in this as well. There are quite a few more reasons for our economy being where it is. Those are just a few things I've noticed while working in the communications industry.

Work hard and smart to avoid being poor, or in lower middle class. Set specific financial goals and have deadline dates to accomplish them. Write your goals down and put them in a place where you can see them everyday. Get your a*s onstage, as often as possible, and entertain the f*ck out of people. I mean this literally... People should be uncontrollably excited after watching your performances. The women should be shaking their a*ses and the dudes should be crunk. Anything less is unacceptable.

Set yourself up to make money, and you will.

Here are some tools you'll need in order to make money as a rapper.
  1. A professional website. Your website should contain a blog, newsletter sign-up, social network links, a tour schedule, wallpaper downloads, free music downloads, album downloads, and an online store. Your online store should have t-shirts, jump drives, hats, toys, and other memorabilia.
  2. Get your music on iTunes. You can use Tunecore or another online distributor for getting your music into online stores. Please make sure that your album artwork looks professional. Also, have your music professionally mixed and mastered before trying to sell to anyone. Otherwise, just give the songs away an get peoples feedback. Make sure your website is shown on any promo material you decide to give away.
  3. Mobile internet service. With mobile internet service, you'll be able to access your website from anywhere you perform. This will make you most money at your performances, which is also where you'll get the best exposure. Ask people to visit your table and point to your laptop. Tell the crowd to stay in touch by joining your social network and newsletter. People are desperately looking for things to do, so give it them. More and more people will show up at your shows as your contact lists build.
There are tons of other things that can be done to get more music sales. Start with the above list and the money you seek will manifest.

BREAK A LEG

yo thank you for this reply. It means a lot to me that someone sat down and took the time to write that detailed of a response. I was sitting thinking about it in bed last night...i was trippin when i posted this. i dont need no ****in body. I never have everything i ever got through i got through by myself. Do other peoples opinions make a difference about how much money im gonna make? FUUCK NO!!!! Im just gonna stop caring. Its gonna be hard but your right i gotta do everything i can for me. Im gunna make some goals, and im gonna do something with this shit one way or another. I dont care if im rich and i dont even know if i wanna be famous but i damn sure wanna do what i wanna do every day and go where i wanna go when i wanna go there. And im gonna get there one way or another believe that. I got my whole life ahead of me and at 18 years old, the money is out there for me to get. Im legal now to enter contracts or **** it write the contracts if i got too. I was just in a stupid mood when i made this shit but im gonna make my life better cause only i can

*** Its not that i dont care if im rich, but im gonna stop chasing money for a while and chase my passions to get to a point where im so good i can make money enough to not need a job. Thats what i meant. I dont gotta be a billionaire but a few million would be nice ;) << that sums it up haha im sure you guys understand what im trying to say

Last edited:
alxgry said:
*** Its not that i dont care if im rich, but im gonna stop chasing money for a while and chase my passions to get to a point where im so good i can make money enough to not need a job. Thats what i meant. I dont gotta be a billionaire but a few million would be nice ;) << that sums it up haha im sure you guys understand what im trying to say

There's nothing wrong with chasing money. Besides, how are you gonna find the cash if you're not looking for it? Don't forget to write your goals down and put them in a place where you can see them everyday, until their accomplished. Don't make the mistake of just keeping them in your head. Too many people make this mistake. Write them down and start teaching yourself accountability. Trust me, I had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Back