Preparing to hire a publist

TazzyOnline

Producer/Lyricist
Im new to this forum so thank you to everyone that takes an input,

Im looking to bring out a EP early next year. I want to hire radio and tv pluggers, a publicist and get advertisement on main hiphop blogs. My main issue is im not sure if im going about this correctly, My plan (rough plan) would be to get my press photos, artist logo, artist website, music mix & mastered, artwork ready, music videos done. Doing this mean I have everything prepared to hire the publicist and they actually have something to push and start a campaign for when the EP actually drops.

Quick question: Has anyone had history using advertisement on main hiphop blog sites (im looking for pricing details)

Am I on the right track or do you think some of the things im doing is backwards?

Tazzy

Im looking to bring out a EP early next year. I want to hire radio and tv pluggers, a publicist and get advertisement on main hiphop blogs. My main issue is im not sure if im going about this correctly, My plan (rough plan) would be to get my press photos, artist logo, artist website, music mix & mastered, artwork ready, music videos done. Doing this mean I have everything prepared to hire the publicist and they actually have something to push and start a campaign for when the EP actually drops.

Quick question: Has anyone had history using advertisement on main hiphop blog sites (im looking for pricing details)

Am I on the right track or do you think some of the things im doing is backwards?

Tazzy

A publicist can only help as much as they can based on their current roster. Getting your music on hip hop blogs is as simple as contacting the sources shared on their websites. It's easy to contact webmasters as their contact information is located in the contact area of their sites. Us the assistance of multiple publicists if you're agreements allow you do so. Try to reach multiple areas with your publishing efforts by finding the publicist that people listen to in those locations. You're on the right track and have obviously done your share of research. Now its time implement your plan and make the necessary mistakes and calibrations; good luck.

A publicist can only help as much as they can based on their current roster. Getting your music on hip hop blogs is as simple as contacting the sources shared on their websites. It's easy to contact webmasters as their contact information is located in the contact area of their sites. Us the assistance of multiple publicists if you're agreements allow you do so. Try to reach multiple areas with your publishing efforts by finding the publicist that people listen to in those locations. You're on the right track and have obviously done your share of research. Now its time implement your plan and make the necessary mistakes and calibrations; good luck.

Thanks for the help JC, I'll defo talk to the publicist about me working with other PR Companies at the same time. The thing is with music in the UK when someone blows up in the US they automatically get fame here. Which has me back and forth if I should hire a publicist out in the states too. I think your right, I need to sit down create this plan and get working.

Thanks again

Tazzy

Look for someone specializing in your genre (hip-hop) that is connected but still willing to work for reasonable rates. They are out there, but don't be in a hurry; carefully scrutinize these folks, as they will be doing to you. A publicist can charge anywhere from a couple thousand dollars for a three-month campaign, to $3,000-$5,000 per week.

Make sure it is a publicist that you actually want. Radio promotion and publicity are two different things. While a handful of people do both, most specialize in one area or the other, so you most likely will need both.

It's a good idea to have a nice looking kit, and of course have great sounding music that is well-produced. Since the independent music and recording explosion, a number of these firms have included an audition process. While it's true that you're hiring them and they will be representing/promoting you, they have a reputation to uphold, so they can't just take any act that rings them up; they have to maintain quality control. So it's a great idea that you'll have so much together before approaching radio or publicity firms.

GJ

Last edited:
Look for someone specializing in your genre (hip-hop) that is connected but still willing to work for reasonable rates. They are out there, but don't be in a hurry; carefully scrutinize these folks, as they will be doing to you. A publicist can charge anywhere from a couple thousand dollars for a three-month campaign, to $3,000-$5,000 per week.

Make sure it is a publicist that you actually want. Radio promotion and publicity are two different things. While a handful of people do both, most specialize in one area or the other, so you most likely will need both.

It's a good idea to have a nice looking kit, and of course have great sounding music that is well-produced. Since the independent music and recording explosion, a number of these firms have included an audition process. While it's true that you're hiring them and they will be representing/promoting you, they have a reputation to uphold, so they can't just take any act that rings them up; they have to maintain quality control. So it's a great idea that you'll have so much together before approaching radio or publicity firms.

GJ

Thanks for the info, I didn't even know firms are starting to include a audition process. I think my biggest fear is actually failing but thats impossible. So the plan is take my time. do it how i think is right. get my mistakes out the way and learn from them.

Tazzy

I'd rather pay a blog to put my music up if I have to or.. pay for a feature from a rapper with a decent buzz... What nobody rapper has a publicist... like really

I'd rather pay a blog to put my music up if I have to or.. pay for a feature from a rapper with a decent buzz... What nobody rapper has a publicist... like really

I'm going to do that also. The PR company im looking to use in the UK work with a good amount of artist I consider to have potential. I've set up a artist consultant meetings to discuss when I should receive their publicity help and also what I should do before then. The PR may not create a buzz for me but its a risk im willing to take. Regarding paying blogs and putting music up I'm going to contact blogs anyway and mostly the blogs I already comment on.

I'm going to do that also. The PR company im looking to use in the UK work with a good amount of artist I consider to have potential. I've set up a artist consultant meetings to discuss when I should receive their publicity help and also what I should do before then. The PR may not create a buzz for me but its a risk im willing to take. Regarding paying blogs and putting music up I'm going to contact blogs anyway and mostly the blogs I already comment on.

wow you wanna get famous in the music industry by blowing up in the uk? there's no money in music there like that.. try and get famous in america if anything

I have a friend named Michelle Magee who use to be with Warner Bros./Atlantic Records and she use to work with Timbaland and missy elliot and wu tang management. She is reasonable. Packages start at around 1,000 a month. Check her out at bullzeyeent.com.

wow you wanna get famous in the music industry by blowing up in the uk? there's no money in music there like that.. try and get famous in america if anything

I know that if you blow in the US you blow in the UK, But I want to cover the UK and the US at the same time. People gonna look at me thinking how comes my own city aint backing me

I have a friend named Michelle Magee who use to be with Warner Bros./Atlantic Records and she use to work with Timbaland and missy elliot and wu tang management. She is reasonable. Packages start at around 1,000 a month. Check her out at bullzeyeent.com.

Going to check out the site now. Have u hired her before? or know anyone that has? thanks for the info this is great

Back