Preference for getting beats: links or attached files?

Ldee

What would be more preferable, or easier:
-Getting a link to a page where you can listen to a beat directly? or
-Getting the beat as an attached file, mp3, a few MBs in size?

I personally would rather go to webpage than download an attachment. But that's my preference.

Ldee

Depends. Some artists and labels prefer attachments and some prefer links. Kindly ask before submitting. Some dudes will be on the road and wanna plug in their iPhone and bump in the car or speakers... going to a link can be slow or tedious in that situation.

I'd rather download it from a page/private login etc but that is me everyone is different

It does really depend.....

If you are an unknown artist with ZERO label representation (and that doesn't mean the label you and your friends started) then it is better to have a secured site in which your music can be heard. Labels get tons of tracks and they don't have the time to check every file out to ensure that there are no virus, trojans, etc. in there.

If the attachment is going to be sent in from a reputable source then an attachment is fine. The mistake that a lot of artist make is that they email in attachments which NEVER get opened.

For any artist that I have send tracks in for I have always sent in both. The song as an attachment as well as a secure password protected link to the track. This give them options.

Most of the artists I come across prefer downloadable attachments. Some will click links but most don't. When dealing with major artists I usually just send attachments

Depends. Some artists and labels prefer attachments and some prefer links. Kindly ask before submitting. Some dudes will be on the road and wanna plug in their iPhone and bump in the car or speakers... going to a link can be slow or tedious in that situation.

I stopped asking for permission a long time ago. You can either check out my music, or not. It's up to you; however, if you listen and like what you hear, just link up with me using whatever methods are convenient for you. Whether it be facebook, twitter, newsletter subscription, or whatever you prefer to use. If not then, hey, " Maybe next lifetime, huh?"

Here's the deal...

Links, in most cases, are downloads. If you're trying to get music into the hands of people in general, you'll want to send links to the your latest music release. The music release needs to be online, available for listening, and downloadable. That way, when artists auditions the song and likes what they hear, it can be downloaded easily. There are tons of free platforms that can be used. To make an optimal impression, you should link people to a personal website. During so brings results and gives you the tools needed to reach more people.

Personally, I prefer links because hard drive space cost money; therefore, downloading music must make me money or add to the quality of my life in return. With all of my recordings, samples, sessions files, etc. it's difficult for me to justify downloading a demo or random mix tape. However, there are some exceptions to the rules. For example, I'll download music to be played in the car. That's usually the defining moment where I become a fan of the artist, producer, or speaker.

Anyone who sends attached files, without my permission, is a spammer. I don't care how nice you come across in the words you type in the letter. I don't know you and will not download anything from you when you email music as an attachment. Sending me attachments simply puts you in a category that says these guys have no business and are unable to bring fans because they don't have any fans. No fans means no customers which is always bad for business.

Back