Potential big placement! Need help!

ShawkCityBeats

So I'm in the process of working out a deal with an unsigned artist. He wants 2 tracks. We are agreed on what i want upfront for the beats. Here is where I need the help - this independent artist just confirmed a feature from a major label artist from a top 3 click and plans to use one of my tracks. As far as points and publishing, what should I be asking for? If it all works out this will be my first placement with a major label artist. I just want to make sure I'm covered for all possiblillies if the track blows up.

It's not a issue of money. The money I'm getting has already been agreed upon. I'm trying to figure out what I should ask for in terms of points and publishing. Because of the featured artist, the one track will most likely going to be the independent artist's single. When I said "blown up" I wasn't talking about this song being plastered all over BET or MTV. I should have been more clear. i meant that this song will be on a release that has the potential to move units independently and receive regional airplay. I just want to know what I should do so I'm in the best position if this happens.

From what I understand, all other things being equal*, there's a pretty strong precedent in Urban music where the track was written first for the producer(s) to secure 50% of the publishing rights to the song.

That being said, judging from your description, it sounds like neither you nor the artist have too much experience in this arena. In situations involving one or more uninformed party, egos can get involved very rapidly, and very intensely, so be sure to navigate this whole thing diplomatically. Also remember than an industry precedent does not necessarily entitle you in your case to be guaranteed 50% off the bat, but 50% is a good starting point for a negotiation.

*This depends on who is involved in the project, how much clout they have, what your relationship with the artist is, or if anyone is holding a gun to your head.

Hey Shawk i am basically in the same position you are in right now. What I suggest is to make sure you are setup with ASCAP or BMI if anything jumps off with the record in addition negotiate the 50% upfront for the track or tracks being used. eMAIL ME i WILL TELL YOU MORE...

So there's two people who perform their lyrics and then its you that made the beat? And theres no music publisher involved? Then That would be 3 of you. So 100 / 3 = 33,3

Dont know what the standard percentage is in the US,

But over in my country its usually like this. You just split the percentage if theres 3 people involved in the publishing side.
Then on the other hand, if its a big artist, he might want a bigger part of the publishing, if he for example came up with the chorus and thinks that the chorus is what "makes" the song.

I dont know, but this sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
I'm in this exact same position right now can you tell me what happened because the manager is asking for in agreement and I don't know what to tell him or what to send him.. Help

As a manager for several producers at the moment, if you are not a big producer in the sense of making it a career or making a lot of money off of it. Might be more beneficial for you to build a relationship with either artist and sell that beat flat out to him. If you don't think a relationship could materialize then I'd work out a contract to get those royalties. Could be real beneficial to try to link up with the major artist through this.

Back