Points on album sales etc

the shrubbery

Hi

I have recently Produced, recorded, mixed, and mastered an album for a uk based singer/songwriter. which was released under there owen lable. As part of the production i not only contributed to the songs arrangement but composed and performed several instrumental parts on most of the 15 tracks. i am credited on the album for all this and it looks as if he may be about to have some major success with this album.

My question is,

I recorded the material for a very nominal fee as i am all up for supporting local artists, Will i see any benefit if the album is successful? the artist only payed a small amount for the recording time in comparison to the hours i put in and no money has yet exchanged hands for the multi track masters (which are still in my possession) all they were given was the stereo master cd which has not been invoiced for as yet.

What would be the right and fairest way for me to ensure i am rewarded for my hard work and contributions to the music on the album?

also how can i make sure i am not in this situation in the future

Cheers Simon

what is this a exam question.
what was the agreement / contract / benefit / royalties/ benefit

are the songs / album plublished
how do the collect royalties in the uk
you havent asked yourself these question yet

Last edited:
if this is a real question (exam question??????)
why,why,and again why
do ppl wait till a product is complete or started before contracts are signed and everyone KNOWS what they will receive

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

How to avoid the situation happening again? Charge what you think is a fair price for your time and work in the first place. I can understand you wanting to help about small-time artists, but if you charge a set price you can't then ask for more when they become successful - it doesn't work like that (unless of course you draw up an agreement beforehand whereby the artist agrees to compensate you if they become successful.)

Back