What do you spend more time doing?

• Making a song to get placed

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Making a song to sell online

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
P

Phortune500

Is it just me or does it seem like more producers on here are more interested in selling beats for $15 on SoundClick than breaking into the industry? I personally haven't been placed, but I feel like my time is better spent perfecting my craft and positioning myself and my music to be ready when my opportunity presents itself.

Let's be real...all the cold cats out there now, (Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Drake, J. Cole, etc.)...them n-ggas ain't lookin online to buy a beat. They have their A&R's and their management team out on the real networks and circuits. Not saying that my music is just the hot sh-t, but I feel like there's no real point in me making a beat just to sell it--because honestly, it shows in your music. As soon as I click on a Soundclick or Soundcloud track in somebody's signature, I already assume what it's going to sound like. And more often than not, it does. A "creative trap beat" that sounds like just another Shawty Redd or Lex Luger Youtube imitation. Why would Ross buy your beat when he can get a Real Shawty Redd or Lex Luger track?

Unless I come across a great talent (kinda like the way Drake and 40 met up), I'd rather stay on my grind, make great music, and save it for when a proven artist likes what he or she hears, and then it's GO TIME. Maybe I'm missing something here. Chime in, FP...

Is it just me or does it seem like more producers on here are more interested in selling beats for $15 on SoundClick than breaking into the industry? I personally haven't been placed, but I feel like my time is better spent perfecting my craft and positioning myself and my music to be ready when my opportunity presents itself.

Let's be real...all the cold cats out there now, (Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Drake, J. Cole, etc.)...them n-ggas ain't lookin online to buy a beat. They have their A&R's and their management team out on the real networks and circuits. Not saying that my music is just the hot sh-t, but I feel like there's no real point in me making a beat just to sell it--because honestly, it shows in your music. As soon as I click on a Soundclick or Soundcloud track in somebody's signature, I already assume what it's going to sound like. And more often than not, it does. A "creative trap beat" that sounds like just another Shawty Redd or Lex Luger Youtube imitation. Why would Ross buy your beat when he can get a Real Shawty Redd or Lex Luger track?

Unless I come across a great talent (kinda like the way Drake and 40 met up), I'd rather stay on my grind, make great music, and save it for when a proven artist likes what he or she hears, and then it's GO TIME. Maybe I'm missing something here. Chime in, FP...

Oh there is so much you have to learn my friend. Allow me to explain some things hopefully it makes sense.

You might be right as far as most producer being more interested in selling tracks for $15.00 vs trying to get placements with bigger artist. I personally could care less about working with a bigger artist if I had the clientele to be financially free. Now I'm not saying that ever beatmaker/producer is doing this but financially free means something different to everyone (everyone has their own level income required for this)

Lets play with some very very realistic numbers non exclusive track = $15.00 cheap yes but when non exclusive and leased to 2000 clients over the course of a 12 months that's $30,000. I know that's not a lot of money but it's more than a lot of people make annually in this world. It's true that same track might not sell for 2000 (only being real but it could and it has) it's more realistic to get 2000 beat sells from an arsenal of tracks. With the way the game works now for producers/beatmakers is awesome you need don't the labels you don't need the celeb artist all you need is an email list of targeted clients (which isn't hard to get).

The great thing about that non exclusive model is just that...it's non exclusive you still own your rights and if you're smart you're shopping tracks to everyone possible income source and you have your paper work together for bmi and or ascap someone is going to get something on the radio,movie,video game,TV show list goes on.

I could dive into a lot of other avenues for those 15.00 tracks but I want to get you thinking

Big artists like Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Drake and so on trust their people are looking on line for material and have been a number of years. Also remember you don't know who is who online oK. I know big producers who toss what they call throw away tracks on soundclick under a different name. It's all gain for them. No one knows who they are their making an extra 5 figures on a batch of tracks no one is picking up any and it's all autopilot...and they are testing the market... I think it's insane that a new producer can listen to a Lex beat..study him for 1 day (if that) and within a month be generating a decent monthly income. Is it uncreative..well yea is it smart..oh yea for sure.

Why would Rick Ross by a knock off track when he can get Shawty Redd to do it. That's like asking me why a radio station paid $3,600 to knock off a dre tracks rather than just...hitting up dr dre... It's about money why spend more if you don't have to...There are plenty of artists and A&Rs that monitor online properties and trends looking to either buy or sign a new act. No they might not be on FP but they are on twitter and other social media networks going through keywords and wondering why this no name producer has so many clicks on is site etc regardless of how good he is if he has a following (big one) he will have a chance. Quite often that Opp is not always in Hiphop space which most people burn all their energy into like morons

It's great that you want to really perfect your craft I encourage that but there is a lot of money you can make in the process which could allow you to get better gear cut hours on your day job supplement your income or even build up a nice savings account.

I personally don't work with a lot of artist anymore my main thing is jingles and film scoring. I bring in close to 50k a year working with indi film makers(w/non exclusive music). That does not include what I pull from companies like VH1 or EA Games or my royalty checks and I don't grind nearly as hard as a did when I was chasing big labels for placements..

You gotta realize online you can target a huge number of people it's very realistic to have 23,000 potential clients each month 3-5% will lease what you have to offer. Honestly that 3-5% is low balling it as it really depends on how well targeted your list is...

Another thing you have to realize is once you are making money in this game even if it's 2-4k a month that allows you to really relax and focus on what you need to do. Hell 800 a month would do that for a lot of people. If you can do that on soundclick under a different name who gives a shit?

Last edited:
Yeah that makes sense. I guess that's why I have no motivation for Soundclick. I bring in $93K from my 9-5. Not bragging, but just saying that the money isn't the primary motivation to me. Never thought about signing up under a different name. I guess my biggest problem is that when I start making a throw away track, I stop and start on something else, lol. My friends have told me plenty of times to stop doing that, lol. Guess it's the musician in me battling the entrepreneur in me. Good response.

Sidenote: I've been looking into film scores too. It's a fun genre.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess that's why I have no motivation for Soundclick. I bring in $93K from my 9-5. Not bragging, but just saying that the money isn't the primary motivation to me. Never thought about signing up under a different name. I guess my biggest problem is that when I start making a throw away track, I stop and start on something else, lol. My friends have told me plenty of times to stop doing that, lol. Guess it's the musician in me battling the entrepreneur in me. Good response.

Sidenote: I've been looking into film scores too. It's a fun genre.

That's a good income for 9-5 I personally hate them for my film work I do (with smaller low budget companies) I don't put near as many hours as you do and I don't get taxed as heavy either (something to think about)

I agree stop throwing away tracks one thing you will notice is in that industry (film/jingle) they seem to like a lot of that stuff we would call...wack I don't know why but they do..

Keeping all of your tracks good or bad will give you inspiration later on down the road you might not like the track but there are other things in the track you will like that will lead to better music...

I feel you on that. One thing that's good to do is isolate the 2 (musician and entrepreneur). I understand that money isn't motivation for some but it is for others (which is why they take this path).. If film is something you would like to do hit me up i may be able to help you out

With so many people making beats these days you need to develop your own artists anyway or become one yourself. Also you should not pigeon hole yourself to just soundclick or just selling beats online. IMO get the VIP upload some beats that you think might sell well and then start grinding to get the real world connects or whatever you are looking for. Keep in mind J Cole makes his own beats and still gets 1000 a day he ain't worth chasing down when they already have their own squad of producers plus again getting everyone in the world sending them tracks. Its basically a crap shoot. That is why Soundclick is a good idea. I am not saying don't send to those guys I am saying however don't put all of your eggs into one basket.

I've been back & forth with this as well over the years. More so between lease/exclusives (non-exclusive licenses/exclusive). I have talked to people that are signed and major as well as soem that are not. Ive spoken with managers, other producers, engineers, artists...etc

Personally I just make music and send it out. Even if they dont buy it they still see my name...A LOT. They start playing tracks around there friends and they hear it and ask who prod. this...the rest is history.

Some people are comfortable with making money with leases. For example I lease 1 track to a bunch of people to total $2k in one month....Or I can make no money and maybe get 1 placement w/ no publishing for $2k. Which is more profitable? Thats $500 a week added onto whatever else you may have as income.

I despise soundclick, but i dont hate that they are making money. To each his own. I can perfect my craft AND make some extra money on the side at the same time. Even its just gas for that week. Some of these dudes making beats for ross are in the same camp with Lex luger. All there doing is making glorified "trap" beats. Each has their own sound that works for them. Will it get them a grammy? A mansion? Perhaps not, but for that moment their doing quite well.

Needless to say I have my own two artists that Im developing and marketing so im not so much worried about placements with majors. I send beats when I can to the right people and if something happens it does, but when I get on twitter Im looking for those indie artist & producers that have ambition to learn. Not the guys who have already made it. They ask for beats, I send and move fwd.

I feel you. My goal these days is more aimed towards getting placements. I feel landing one placement will progress me as far as grinding on Soundclick for a few years.

But at the same time I'm keeping my SC updated while looking for a placement cause you gotta try to get paid in the meantime, it can be years before you land a placement.

I guess I just try to work every option available to me. Just cause you do one don'tmean you cant do the other. But ya I hold landing a placement at a higher value for myself.

I quit chasing placements and do indie records and sound design along with my custom usb drives and I think in the end... earning money doing something you love is fulfilling... whether its making $30K leasing beats a year or knocking out major records.I see nothing wrong with leasing beats for cheap and making a living.

The only thing that concerns me is the cats that lease for $1 or 10 for .99cents...Is your time really worth that little? You might as well work in a field if you want to get paid that low. I wouldnt go any lower than $25 for non-exclusive licenses. If your selling a non-exclusive license for a film then your going to get more than 25bucks...They actually pay. Maybe its a grand maybe its a couple hundred. But it is def. more than 25. Like Alkota said, he has multiple outlets to be able to reach.

I personally have music for games & film and have a couple placements in film & a play. I plan on gettign more into jingles when I get the time & I also create my own sounds/refills using reason. So I can profit from each of these. Even though my main passion is being a mixing engineer. lol

Sorry to go out on a rant, just felt like it should be broken down again. Most people these days dont have an extra income like many of us here on FP do. If they do its another job entirely. Ex. some people work at Walmart from 9-5 then work at mcdonalds from 6-11. that leaves little time for family or anything else. Now with some of the FP's here its more like working at A Law firm and then in my free time I can enojoy it and if I make some extra profit thats great too.

Would you rather get 10 placements on Rick Ross mixtape or get 1 placement on his album? Which one holds more weight to you. Mixtape=free, but a lot of exposure. Album=payment, and maybe a bit of royalties if people buy it, but thats the thing. Will they buy it? You will have your name credited. Depending on what you want to do and how far you wish to go I'd def. take the album placement. Why? Because when you get to a certain level you may notice that the people that hold the power dont hold the same color as you. Therefore you have to work 3x as hard to prove that you are just as equal if not better. So I say "i got 10 placements on some random mixtapes." There going to be like who??? If I say "I've gotten a placement on Rick Ross last album." They may still have no idea who he is, but if I say it was nominated for a grammy in 3 categories theyll start to loosen up.

Everyone has there own style. You could move from where you are to somewhere and NO BODY leases (who knows) or go some where thats vice versa. As long as your happy about your wokr its all that matters.

#Trilltrax

I say get your instrumentals on as many sites you can
and
look int taxi for film,tv show work
and
contact local,regional advertising,mulit-media companies
and
start a site getting into affliate marketing
and
work your local scene
you can funnel everyone you meet through your website

say you have beats on sounclick add a browse beats button to your own website that redirects them to your pro-looking soundclick site
or add a flashstore player to your site

you'll have more freedom that way instead of just using soundclick website

over the last 12 months I keep learning about different revenue streams for executive producers,producers and starting to apply that to my business in the next 6 months
My main goal with music is to build relationships to build success and finding extra income to pay off a home in half of the time most banks give you which is usually 30years and get a nice saving account
and spread a message of Jesus Christ

The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

Christ is King of All Men

If you think you can lease 2000 $15 beats to get your $30k, then go for it. How many producers can there be out there with those type of numbers though? If you sell 2000 beats in a year, you BETTER end up inking a big deal, coz your name should be f***ing everywhere.

I say get your instrumentals on as many sites you can
and
look int taxi for film,tv show work
and
contact local,regional advertising,mulit-media companies
and
start a site getting into affliate marketing
and
work your local scene
you can funnel everyone you meet through your website

Agree. Utilize all LEGITIMATE platforms available similar to an artist that's promoting an album that works both the A markets as well as B and C radio markets, late night television circuit, corporate ad tie-ins, social media, internet music news sites and music blogs, malls and shopping strips, high schools/college, etc...A well planned multifaceted approach is highly recommended, provided you have the undeniable creative talent and consistent output and consistency.

Leasing, placements, exclusives, etc...all fall under the LICENSING umbrella, so don't put up unnecessary walls between them

This game is a long term triathlon, not a short term sprint. Everything starts with the music and talent and then the know how and then the proper resources. Entrepreneurship is the word of the day

Last edited:
Back