Placements?

JMD_Music

I thought about this very recently. Let's say you get a placement and the label wants you to produce a record for the artist. What happens if the record leaks and they decided to take it off the album, would you still get paid. I see a lot of tracks get leaked and I wonder do the producers still get paid for it, even though it's not on the album, or do they get money upfront because the song was recorded.

Usually they would get paid up front. Its usually a larger price, maybe $800 to 2k possibly (depending on the artist/label/budget) and if the producer is lucky they may receive royalties but not that much.

I don't think it matters if it was leaked or not producers get paid either way.

not true, more times than not you WONT get paid if the record gets leaked.

most labels arent cutting advances like that, unless its gonna be on the album for sure.. why would they pay for a record in advance for a record.. with the chance of it leaking, they have no use for it anymore, its just a useless record

some do, but most dont.

most of those songs arent even label cleared songs, just shit done in sessions that the artists drop to remain relevant, but with the way the industry is going you wanna make sure you get some kind of compensation for it

nothing more annoying than getting a bunch of songs with a major artist, and never having an album record to show for it.

Yea but you are talking about the old producers.. I was talking about Internet producers where you buy online upfront.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol im tryna tell ya'll from experience
ya'll need to listen to drew sold 2xplatinum Lil' Wayne among array of indie artists
so drew are you telling producers they should ask for their money upfront from the artist???
I know some artists still have album-recording/production budgets from their label

and what contracts should be done
just split sheets???

I believe split sheets should come in play soon as a song is be talked about a true music professional covers this without sounding stuck-up and the artist know it's just business

and for those that sell online to artists you already got your advance by what you set your exclusive payment at

for an artists on a shoe-string budget buying exclusive through a producer online store maybe their best bet to get production they want and stay on budget

Last edited:
so drew are you telling producers they should ask for their money upfront from the artist???
I know some artists still have album-recording/production budgets from their label

and what contracts should be done
just split sheets???

i think you should have a good manager and lawyer at your disposal to make sure you get paid. Because if a record leaks, theres a good chance they wont pay you because the record you did loses value

especially when youre an upcoming producer youre going to have to fight to get paid, you shouldnt expect anything in this game

i think you should have a good manager and lawyer at your disposal to make sure you get paid. Because if a record leaks, theres a good chance they wont pay you because the record you did loses value

especially when youre an upcoming producer youre going to have to fight to get paid, you shouldnt expect anything in this game

so you believe your manager shouldn't bring up split-sheets and cash payment at the time of handing over the instrumental??

so you believe your manager shouldn't bring up split-sheets and cash payment at the time of handing over the instrumental??

i mean if its just a producer and artist it should already be established who did what, you never want to come off like a hard ass like "im not doing the song until we get paperwork done"

or else they just wont work with you

for example

An A & R hits me up for beats for an artist on the label working on his debut album, due in stores May 17th.

once you figure out what the budget is looking like (you can kinda tell based on features and other producers on the album), i'd send off like 10 or so beats, and 2-3 weeks later they say.. yo this artist is rocking with 2 joints for the album. Now if they ask for wavs. thats when you ask for them to cut a check. You should not be sending out wavs unless they cutting a check period. Thats how producers get ****ed up, its how i got ****ed up in the past. Sending off wavs to records, and them not paying me or making it a struggle to pay me

theyre gonna try to give you shit, but at that point you should be getting paid for your stuff. Then they should be giving you a contract about the records theyre buying.. and the shit for the album.

i mean thats how i work.

but if you send em beats, and the record just drops on the internet, youre not getting paid for that in this music industry, maybe online with online artists or in certain situations

but youre not getting paid just because somebody records to your beat

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

because if they pay you when an artist records.. what if the A & R of the album doesnt like the beat but likes the song.. and has another producer do a version of it. then they gotta pay that producer 2?

labels only paying for guaranteed records, unless youre a big name producer

mp3 for trial usage and wave/trackouts for the contract and the payment
QRCode.png

"I thought about this very recently. Let's say you get a placement and the label wants you to produce a record for the artist. What happens if the record leaks and they decided to take it off the album,

we are talking about songs that might make the album, not guaranteed to be on the album.. come on "son", i aint just talking just to talk

I thought about this very recently. Let's say you get a placement and the label wants you to produce a record for the artist. What happens if the record leaks and they decided to take it off the album, would you still get paid. I see a lot of tracks get leaked and I wonder do the producers still get paid for it, even though it's not on the album, or do they get money upfront because the song was recorded.

Producers have developed this misconception that their services are paid for after an album is released...

I strongly suggest that you stop working for artist, labels, and studios for free. Get paid for your work, up front, and develop the reputation for being a paid producer. You don't need to do free work in order to build you name, all need are great work ethics and effective promo. If you don't feel comfortable forcing people to pay for your work with money, then make them pay with something that will benefit you as soon as they take your track.

No company can stay in business when giving away their store inventory at no financial cost to customers.

I like what JC said for the past 5 years....ARTIST have had PRODUCERS on a damn string!!!! Were letting them call the shots when we should!

Back