Periscope

F

fatsmug

Hey guys.

Seeing what everyone's opinion was on Periscope, it's a new live streaming app from Twitter that allows you to stream to an audience. I just got done doing a stream and even though I only had five viewers I hope someone learned a thing or two on how to make instrumentals better than they did before tuning in.

What are you guys opinions on using this platform to connect with fans and/or other producers who share a similar sound as you?

-FAT SMUG

Last edited by a moderator:
Periscope and Meerkat are equally fantastic. I hope to dedicate some time to one of the platforms in the next month or two. On what I've seen so far, from playing around the apps, Periscope has many more "social" features to it than Meerkat. The hearts being the standout feature.

Out of interest, if you're a producer, why are you teaching other producers? Is that a part of your marketing strategy? And if so, why?

Cheers,
Jordan

I'm not trying to tutor producers but nothing wrong with letting them in on how I work. I love to see other producers techniques. You never know what can come from solid exposure. Even if it is from your fellow competition.

I find that interesting. (And not because it's your competition, if anything, I want my competitors to do well...)

But, producers aren't the ones who will buy beats from you... Not saying you shouldn't help producers, but I'd focus my time on appealing to artists.

Cheers,
Jordan

It's no different than any other live stream API: Meerkat, Hangouts, youtube. Etc etc

They all do the same shit, allowing your connect, see attendees and connect with them. Same ish different platform.

I find that interesting. (And not because it's your competition, if anything, I want my competitors to do well...)

But, producers aren't the ones who will buy beats from you... Not saying you shouldn't help producers, but I'd focus my time on appealing to artists.

Cheers,
Jordan

That isn't true. Networking with other producers has gotten me with artists who purchased tracks from me. Just because your producer acquaintances don't help you out don't mean mine don't. I have helped folks get booked and vice versa. You need to expand your horizons.

That isn't true. Networking with other producers has gotten me with artists who purchased tracks from me. Just because your producer acquaintances don't help you out don't mean mine don't. I have helped folks get booked and vice versa. You need to expand your horizons.

It is true. It's the basics of marketing. The most efficient way to gain your ideal customer is to speak to them directly. If you're trying to get artists by appealing to producers first, then you're wasting a lot of time.

Just so we're clear, I run a label... I know a lot of producers who I speak to and help on a regular basis. I give them value, and they give me equal value. BUT, I don't concentrate my marketing efforts on finding more producers - so that I can sell more music.

Cheers,
Jordan

If you're interested in streaming your process, I'd recommend looking at a streaming service that allows you to broadcast via RTMP instead of just using an iPhone. If you broadcast with Periscope, the quality will be mediocre at best. But if you use free software like OBS (obsproject.com), you can broadcast right from your computer and get high quality audio.

One big site for streaming like that is Twitch, but it's just for video games. If you want a site that's just for music, Concert Window (concertwindow.com) is free and doesn't have any ads.

Back