Are People Paying For Music?

StrangeFlow

So , let me pose a question that is asked in some other music forums from time to time ( and in real life ) not sure if it's as relevant to hip hop, but here goes...

Do very many folks on here post tracks onto bandcamp? And if so, do you find that alot of people don't want to pay a dollar or two for an album or a few tracks? Before you say, "well, maybe your music's not popular," I'm saying I know dozens and dozens of people who play show after show and have tens of thousands of plays of their music, and yet they cant seem to get very many people to buy their music... Is this a staple of modern music? or is it genre specific (im thinking electronic music especially, from my experience) and, for the record, i AM talking about mosty-independant/non-major-label artists... But, is it the same in the world of hip hop? Just thought I'd ask anyone here if they had insight.. Im sure there's some good opinions on this site as far as this type of thing goes.

There are buyers out there. the thing is you can't wait for them to find you. you have to find them and maybe give them free stuff just so they can look in your direction.

So , let me pose a question that is asked in some other music forums from time to time ( and in real life ) not sure if it's as relevant to hip hop, but here goes...

Do very many folks on here post tracks onto bandcamp? And if so, do you find that alot of people don't want to pay a dollar or two for an album or a few tracks? Before you say, "well, maybe your music's not popular," I'm saying I know dozens and dozens of people who play show after show and have tens of thousands of plays of their music, and yet they cant seem to get very many people to buy their music... Is this a staple of modern music? or is it genre specific (im thinking electronic music especially, from my experience) and, for the record, i AM talking about mosty-independant/non-major-label artists... But, is it the same in the world of hip hop? Just thought I'd ask anyone here if they had insight.. Im sure there's some good opinions on this site as far as this type of thing goes.

There is money to be made in the music industry, but if you don't possess the knowledge of music business you won't be seeing any return.

Brian

Last edited:
That's a very good point. Sales to "end-users" (aka music listeners) is only one aspect to selling music. There are tons of "commercial" uses for music: TV,Film,Commercial,Video,Games,Ringtones,Toys,Ads,Greeting Cards,and so on...

It is much easier for the "end-user" to steal your music through downloads and such since it is very unfruitful to go after them individually. However, businesses have much more to lose and will not typically "steal" music. And if they do, there is much more to gain by the infringement.

Anyway, you want to protect your music from illegal sharing as much as you can... but there is only so much you can do and it is going to be a fact of life for musicians & artists & labels for all time to come. But if you've got good music, get in with a publisher and start getting that music placed in commercial uses!

That's a very good point. Sales to "end-users" (aka music listeners) is only one aspect to selling music. There are tons of "commercial" uses for music: TV,Film,Commercial,Video,Games,Ringtones,Toys,Ads,Greeting Cards,and so on...

It is much easier for the "end-user" to steal your music through downloads and such since it is very unfruitful to go after them individually. However, businesses have much more to lose and will not typically "steal" music. And if they do, there is much more to gain by the infringement.

Anyway, you want to protect your music from illegal sharing as much as you can... but there is only so much you can do and it is going to be a fact of life for musicians & artists & labels for all time to come. But if you've got good music, get in with a publisher and start getting that music placed in commercial uses!

Couldn't agree more!

Brian

what? you mean on a site like rocbattles or something ? or you mean commercially? I guess I'm new to selling music for commercials. I'd love to, though. I don't have any problems with it.

Not even. Through my mailing list on my own site. Not rocbattle....

Back