nonexclusive beats?

First, let me go ahead and admit that I DO lease beats. You gotta play the game. Besides, unless you're already in the arena of legit artists and labels that want to pay you what you're worth, then what's the point of pouring your heart and soul into a track and only getting a couple hundred bucks for it (if that)?? Or points on the back end that you will likely never see? (Besides the fun of making it, of course :) ) Even big name producers (not just beat makers) have started to turn down pay-by-points because of the condition the music business is in. I would rather lease a beat for $20, even just to a couple people, and STILL have it in my arsenal in case I got a solid opportunity to shop it for some real money. I will say this, though: PLEASE STOP LEASING BEATS FOR PRICES LIKE 3 FOR $1!! THAT ****S EVERYONE (BEAT MAKERS/PRODUCERS) OVER, THEN NO ONE IS MAKING ANY KIND OF MONEY!

Last edited:
'2Pac - I ain't Mad At Ya' and 'Children of the Corn - American Dream' same beat. Plus it was used by some RnB ppl, and I think one other rapper.

My opinion is, no young artists are gonna blow up on ANY beat. Even less likely a beat by an unkown producer. It's going to take time, and more than 1 song. The odds are stacked against them. I say let artists Lease beats for cheap. Let em save money and still get some shine. Exclusives are usually too expensive for an up and comer that doesn't want to use dr dre beats, or free whack sh*t off soundclick.

Last edited:
Great thread brah I agree with you 100% that non-exclusive crap is killing the game and the overall value of producers. I dont understand why you would sell a beat for .99 for a non exclusive(leased beat) that is crazy brah. Know your value as a producer and stick to your guns no one will respect anyone that feels that there work is only worth 1 non exclusive or not.

I know you guys won't read all this, so I put in bold the most important parts.

I don't think there is necessarily a wrong or right answer to this
, but I will say this:

Non-exclusives and exclusives are not WINNING or KILLING the game. It's the people that handle their business that's killing the game. It doesn't matter if someone is selling beats for $1 or $3... A lot of "normal" people think that's the price of beats anyway! They're hurting YOUR business, not theirs so they really have no problem in it.

If you are really insecure about people selling beats for low prices, find strategies against it. Maybe offer free mixing and mastering of vocals along with the beat! IDK! Make it that, when someone buys your beat, they feel it's worth it.

In my opinion, non-exclusives are actually a smart route. You can actually make more money selling non-exclusives, than selling exclusives if you think long term.

But, check your business strategy. If you feel you should only sell exclusives, go ahead, if you feel you should lease beats for dirt cheap, go ahead, if you feel you should give free beats go ahead. The whole point is to make YOUR business successful!

I know you guys won't read all this, so I put in bold the most important parts.

I don't think there is necessarily a wrong or right answer to this
, but I will say this:

Non-exclusives and exclusives are not WINNING or KILLING the game. It's the people that handle their business that's killing the game. It doesn't matter if someone is selling beats for $1 or $3... A lot of "normal" people think that's the price of beats anyway! They're hurting YOUR business, not theirs so they really have no problem in it.

If you are really insecure about people selling beats for low prices, find strategies against it. Maybe offer free mixing and mastering of vocals along with the beat! IDK! Make it that, when someone buys your beat, they feel it's worth it.

In my opinion, non-exclusives are actually a smart route. You can actually make more money selling non-exclusives, than selling exclusives if you think long term.

But, check your business strategy. If you feel you should only sell exclusives, go ahead, if you feel you should lease beats for dirt cheap, go ahead, if you feel you should give free beats go ahead. The whole point is to make YOUR business successful!

DAH makes valid points!

Honestly im blessed to have a producer that believes in my movement. The advise i can suggest to any new artist is to avoid leasing/ non exclusive beats. For one it shows the lack of commitment that you have in your own craft. Leasing a beat is like rent a car, yeah you have it but it can be taken back at anytime. Also you get what you paid for, and just know if you leased the beat , what not to say a 100 other folks have the same beat.

I agree 100% fam...gotta get your own sound to break away from the BS

Honestly im blessed to have a producer that believes in my movement. The advise i can suggest to any new artist is to avoid leasing/ non exclusive beats. For one it shows the lack of commitment that you have in your own craft. Leasing a beat is like rent a car, yeah you have it but it can be taken back at anytime. Also you get what you paid for, and just know if you leased the beat , what not to say a 100 other folks have the same beat.

Word!

I personaly believe that those producers selling non-exclusive beats are just there to take advantage of young artist that are foolish enough to think that with 10 or 15 beats, a mic, they will become the next 50cent.

On a side note this line of thinking could easily be used to discredit the sampling of previously recorded matierial...

Well said

I think the reason that licencing a beat works is that most artists who pay $20 for a beat online will never be heard outside the people in their neighborhood. Lets be honest here, how many artists do you know with big dreams, who cut an album only to sell less than 100. Why does a rapper in Atlanta care if someone else in Phoenix did a track with the same beat? Licensing can be an inexpensive way to put out some quality tracks and build momentum. Then the artist can pool some cash to buy exclusive beats.

I think the reason that licencing a beat works is that most artists who pay $20 for a beat online will never be heard outside the people in their neighborhood. Lets be honest here, how many artists do you know with big dreams, who cut an album only to sell less than 100. Why does a rapper in Atlanta care if someone else in Phoenix did a track with the same beat? Licensing can be an inexpensive way to put out some quality tracks and build momentum. Then the artist can pool some cash to buy exclusive beats.

Thats right Josh. I actually know many artists that started out purchasing non-exclusive beats and making a huge name for themselves on the mixtape sites and social sites. Its the best way to create a buzz for yourself in this on-demand world of content. If you cant flood the marketplace with content then you are not going to survive and non-exclusive beats help fill that void.

Personally non-exclusive or leasing beats are a good opportunity and the good thing it is an automatic side thing that could turn customers into exclusive buyers when they're successful. While you sell leasing beats you can still focus 100% on the exclusive business.

Back