nonexclusive beats?

An artist and record company wants a song to be so individual that you know
what it is from the first second you hear it on the radio... they do not want
you to have to pay attention to half of the song before you figure out which
of the 10 songs that use that same strike this one is.
On a side note this line of thoughts could easily be used to disgrace the
example of previously recorded matierial...

if you lease with Non exclusive rights a beat you still have rights to the beat making a song is something of your own twist and style so every person that recorded on the beat should be different for tips on seo go to buybeatsdownload.blogspot.com

As someone who plays in both the Exclusive AND non-Exclusive game, I gotta say that i don't always agree with selling leases either, but in a sense we are just giving these mixtape rappers what they want. I have a catalog that i put on my website/soundclick for those purposes and a catalog that I use to submit for Exclusive opportunities and sell to customers who want TRUE exclusive rights...

Let's be real...some of us do this as a passion...others to make a name for themselves...others strictly for cash...But this thread is semantics...non-exclusive is a BEAUTIFUL thing...Don't be the producer that thinks only ARTISTS are using your production. HELLOOOOOOO...HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A COMMERCIAL???? Residual income...sell your 1 or 2 exclusive beats for 100 to 500 bucks...but when Toyota leases a beat and you get royalties for it...let's be real. Think outside of the recording studio and the stage...think big...movies...events...shows...sitcoms...EVERYTHING. Non-exclusive...lease...is what you make it....whether it's an independent artists...or corporation.

Exactly Marlo. It's 2013 and the internet revolution has already begun. Not only t.v.'s and movies but a lot of youtube video makers need original copyright free music for their videos. Also game developers need beats and music for their games.

Non-exclusive licensing is the future and if you don't see it you don't eat

Just a word of advice to any newcomers put all of your stuff out there for free untagged. I'm talking about soundcloud, youtube, hulkshare, everywhere you can and everywhere someone can download it. The amount of exposure you gain from this is too good to pass up.

I'm just now starting to make more and more sells. If I would have put my stuff out there a year ago I would be set right now. Don't wait, share your creations. All fingers will be pointed directly at you once someone asks who made that beat.

Artists probably usually go for exclusive licenses for beats unless they are making a mixtape or something like that. I think the use for non exclusive licenses is usually for things like synchronization licenses to be used in film and commercials: for example, sites like Rightclearing.com and Rumblefish.com sell non-exclusive licenses for use in these types of media.

If you want to be "valued" as a producer, you should not worry about what price other people are selling their "beats" for...
If you want to be "valued" as a producer, you should worry about making excellent music and conducting yourself in a professional manner.
Remember, the fancy fine dining restaurant that sells a steak for $85 does not care about the truckstop selling a steak (plus 2 side dishes) for $3.

Well said.

I've never understood why an artist would use a track on their record only to catch another artist using that same track on their record down the line. The impact to the credibility of both artists is immediate.

I believe non-exclusives are primarily for mixtapes but in that situation you still have artists spitting different lyrics on top of the same thing, so there's no difference in my mind. A DJ can (and should) use the same beats behind different acappellas. A DJ can use that as a technique to gauge how the crowd responds.

Last edited:
Just a word of advice to any newcomers put all of your stuff out there for free untagged. I'm talking about soundcloud, youtube, hulkshare, everywhere you can and everywhere someone can download it. The amount of exposure you gain from this is too good to pass up.

Do not do this. Working for exposure is like playing the lottery. Your music really isn't going to blow up unless you get lucky. The few people that did get big from Internet exposure were pretty much lucky. Most of the people that do blow up do not sustain any real movement.

Work on licensing (not leasing) your music. The money is slow and small but builds up over time. Forget licensing to artists. Send your music to production libraries. They get songs used for TV shows and commercials.

This is probably not going to make your rich, but you can make a few extra thousand dollars a year while you chase the big record deal.

Last edited:
lol, you have to understand that, beats selling market is different from 5 years ago and beyond that, producers are influxing into the online business hence, the industry is getting crowded, thus producers are coming up with the marketing skills like non-exclusive rights and reselling rights with the reason to make money.

you cant just say that beats makers should focus on exclusive rights while on market buyers want custom or leasing rights, knowing how to market is the best key to get sales, caz you will know the tricks and solutions to expand your brand and get big buzz

Georgia Beats For Sale | Florida Sell Beats Online | New York Buy Beats | Sell Rap Beats | New Jersey Hip Hop Beats © www.mkufubeats.com

Nonexclusive leases are great for up and coming artists who are working with low budgets and need instrumentals to use for mixtapes, albums should always have exclusive leases.

Everything said makes sense in some aspects, but for up and coming artists who are just looking for a quality sound for their mixtapes and want to put their lyrics out there cheap non-exclusive beats is the way. I started as an MC, I used to write when I was 18 and wanted to make beats as well...but my dopest songs (for me) I wrote when I didn't worry about the music, someone produced the beats for me....Later, that passion went away and I focused on music...

I think non exclusive beats def work when you need a bunch of beats for your mixtape / project and your on a tight budget. I also think the downside of leasing is that If your project does take off your "hit" beat may be gone when u decide to come back and buy the exclusive license. I don't know how many times people have came back to my site Hip Hop Beats and Royalty Free Rap Instrumental Music at SF Traxx.com looking for an exclusive that was gone.

Because of this i switched up my angle and now I offer both leases and exclusives but I keep them seperate so that artists can have beats that are truly exclusive to them.

Back