New Model of Music

JMD_Music

I understand how everyone feels the need to be signed. But there are ways to make a good amount of money by just doing music. Some of ya'll probably won't agree with me. But I believe the best way to succeed is to create your own label and sign only yourself. Get a manager that deals with everything else; touring, studio budget, merchandising, etc. Get a good producer to work with you on your music, and write your own songs. You don't need to employ 4-5 writers for ONE song like acts do today. Write the whole album yourself. You can make an album spending less than $20,000 and profit more than $100,000 when it comes to touring off of it, licensing, publishing, etc. And stuff like that could lead to features on other artists' albums. Don't be so concerned with being a millionaire. Be concerned with making a decent living and making good music.

Not trying to discredit your post but... this is not in anyway a "new model" of music. It might open someone's mind on this forum but people have been doing this for years (all genres of music). I tell people all the time "go to an "ascap convention" there a lot of indi people doing well on their own

In general, we are moving towards a world where the authors of music will be paid less than they were before music became free on the internet. It could be that in 10 years (or sooner) nobody will pay for recorded music anymore. In any case, if you're signed to a major label, you have to sell A LOT of records to make money as a performer. Every artists should be first and foremost preoccupied with building their fanbase through concerts and the internet because they will be making money mostly off concerts.

This "new model" has been around for ages. It's all a part of being independent. As a matter of fact, lots of indie labels eventually grab a major distribution deal from major labels or sign as a label under major labels.

Some musicians need the million dollar goal in order to maintain proper motivation, others don't. Personally, I'm all about taking it to the next level. Currently I'm working with Guitar Center to bring better prizes to my online competition, Battle 4 Exposure.

This is what I say, "...

First, decide to be who you are. Who are you, an artist or business person? And, if you've decided to be both, how much time and money can you devote to providing resources for yourself? Obviously, these questions are intended for those ready step it up a level. Ignore this thread if you're a hobbyist. For you, it should about learning and developing, experimentation.

People pay for albums all the time; especially, when they go to live performances and enjoy what they hear. As reputations builds, it becomes more and more simple to sell album, merchandise, and appearances. It also gets easier to sell online copies, as long as you connect with people in the right way.

Good advice. as detail as it is, you need to give more info. for each step. just add to the post. it would be great info. for these so called artists on here always asking for beats

Back