New idea for a business...

scrapheaper

I have an idea about how to make money from your production skillz. I'd never be able to do this myself, but I reckon someone else on here could.

Given the number of people on this forum who post asking for 'how to make this sound', I reckon there's a market for a custom preset business.
Either you could take money from an individual to recreate a preset, say about £10 per sound, or set up a website to work by crowdfunding: individuals could put in a request for a certain sound and name the amount they're prepared to pay for it, other people can agree with them and contribute more money, then at the end of the week the top 10 (or however many) presets get made and sent to everyone who contributed...

What are everyone else's thoughts on this? Is it do-able? Would you use a service like this?

This is a great IDEA if you really know how to create sounds and understand synths. How you advertise and promote will be key with this idea. I say go for it and go all in!

I'm not entirely sure I'm well equipped enough to run a business like this though. I don't own most of the big name synths (massive, sylenth etc) and I work in REAPER so it's not even like I could use the stock synths. If I made a bit of money out of it I guess I could use it to buy some more plugins so I could cater to all users. I certainly don't have the resources to set up my own custom website, but I guess I could use a forum to communicate with the general public like Seamlessr does.

The other thing about this is that recreating presets is fine when it's all house plucks and 808s, but sooner or later someone is going to ask for a noisia reece or a KOAN sound snare or some vocoded FM wobble that requires a lot of resampling or I just can't do and I'm not sure what the appropriate professional response is to that.

Last edited:
I think that at the end of the day, it wouldn't be too much different from the companies that sell presets/sample packs.

Of course, the low price is something that may draw attention, but you'd have to make quality presets to stand and compete with those already stabilished companies.

Back