Need some advice about my collab group

ManiaRib

Hey yall, looking for some advice.

So 2 years ago I started this collaboration group. It consists of 6 producers (Including myself) all working in the same DAW and platform (LMMS, and Soundcloud). We all had common interests and got along fine, and we all produced in mostly different genres. Our collaborations were awesome. We sput out music frequently, and we carried a lot of attention on our platforms and in our communities. We had great potential.

But then all of a sudden, we stopped. Half of the group (Including myself) went off to college. It was hard to keep up with each other, and we had no time to collab. Over the summer we created a new track, but one of our members is too busy to sit down and do any of the post prod and release it.

Now the group is complaining, there is talk about kicking out the most inactive members, and etc. I have no idea what to do, our spirit is broken. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe invite newer members with more time and energy? Or perhaps put the project on a hold until the next summer break when the entire group has time? Put my foot down and just tell everyone to stop complaining? Looking for advice here. I can't see this project dying, but there is so much negativity in our chats that it seems like we are never going to get out of our hole. Any advice would be much appreciated.

get everyone to agree to giving 1 day of production time every week or fortnight either in one go or over several days

start to manage each new track as a separate project and build yourself some timelines that make the project realistic - this may mean each project takes 2 or 3 times as long to produce. College/university time is always difficult and can be even more so if you are tempted by all of the other things that you could be doing on campus.

a face to face meeting may not be possible but use skype to have a monthly meet up,

gauge the commitment of everyone individually and then in a monthly skype meeting, have them recommit to everyone to the level they can

personal experience suggest that his project may have run its course though

the best band I was in as a teenager faded in the first 6 months of my college life mostly because I was 300km away but also because we were all hitting the end of being kids and starting to be adults and could not find time to make it continue to work

Back