Need a recomendation site for a marketing strategy

I'm a music producer, currently putting together a marketing strategy for an artist I'm working with.
Part of this strategy, is to create a website, which acts as the landing page for his music releases.

What I need however is a website where i can upload his album, or other songs to, which requires the downloader to submit their email before receiving the music. I've already checked out Band-camp, and it is not a good candidate (This guy gets lots of downloads, so having to pay for free downloads doesn't seem like a good option)

Can anyone recommend a good site? Thanks.

Why doesn't he have his own website?

WordPress will sort it out for you. One landing page, insert a music player or video as a sampler, sign up box to your newsletter for the free download...

Then he has the potential and foundation to expand the website in the future.

Simple stuff.

Make sure you insert me as a reference. :berzerk:

Cheers,
Jordan

don't forget to get virtual private hosting or full private server hosting - this will cost, but is a tax deduction for carrying out normal business activities; it may even cost more than what it would to allow free downloads at bandcamp but weigh that against full ownership vs partial ownership of the entire experience for fans and clients

Why doesn't he have his own website?

WordPress will sort it out for you. One landing page, insert a music player or video as a sampler, sign up box to your newsletter for the free download...

Then he has the potential and foundation to expand the website in the future.

Simple stuff.

Make sure you insert me as a reference. :berzerk:

Cheers,
Jordan

Sorry i was unclear in my explanation in what i was looking for. I created a website already (using Wix) and the website will act as the website where people go to to download the music.

I'm looking for a HOST website, where i can upload the music too. (like band-camp, soundcloud etc...) Except the website needs to have the feature to make submitting an email mandatory in order to proceed to the download. I would then take that link and embed it on the Wix website that i made. Unfortunately, Wix doesn't have a mandatory feature like band-camp, which is why i'm looking for such a website in the first place.

The sites i have checked out so far have been : Sellfy, Bandcamp, Cashmusic, Fanbridge and a couple others. These sites do those things, however they have unfavorable features (for instance, Sellfy doesn't have the ability to make a download free, same with bandcamp, and Cashmusic doesn't have a link embed, only an HTML embed, and Fanbridge has too many useless buttons on the download page), so i was seeing if anyone else had come across a website that i might not have checked out yet.

I know i'm nitpicking with these features, but I'm trying to make the process extremely simple in order to download. I think many overlook the fact that most customers have the attention span of 5 year olds, and if anything looks or works too confusing, its a lost cause.

Also just a side-note : The guy has his own website already but its outdated and kinda sloppy. I'm aiming to replace it with something more effective in utilizing his fanbase.

Well what's wrong with my initial suggestion? Take out the Wordpress bit, and you have my new suggestion.

When a consumer signs up to the newsletter, you can set up an auto responder to send a link to their email address. Simple.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. I hate Wix, tell him to go the WordPress route. He/you won't look back, I promise.

P.P.S. Oh waaaait... You mean to say Wix doesn't allow you to upload MP3s to the server? Which directs me back to an earlier point. Go to a dedicated web host and use Wordpress! :berzerk:

Last edited:
I get what you mean, And i'll consider your suggestion, and I appreciate the help.

But, think of it from a customers perspective. They need to check their email now before they download, for normal folks like you and me, its no problem. But for some if not most other people, that's a difficult, time consuming task.

Consider the reward system. I think it's much more satisfying to get something once you've put your information in immediately then to have to go through your email to get it.
Imagine, you work for someone for an hour, and your prize at the end of that hour is a jar of cookies. Once you've done all that work for that jar of cookies, the guy tells you "Good job, you've earned those cookies! They are waiting for you at Walmart." I think that's very dissatisfying.

Also, as a side-note. I hated Wix also for a very long time. Then all of a sudden i got really good at using it. It took me two hours to the make the website in question. The website i'm seeking to replace is actually a WordPress website, ironically. Although i think some day i'll consider WordPress. I'm just not too HTML savy.

You don't really need to be "HTML savvy" for WordPress... Show me some HTML code, I don't know what 90% of it does. Find a good theme, good plug ins, and you're set. Plus, never underestimate the power of blogging, that is its biggest plus in my opinion.

If you were on WordPress, I could suggest a plugin which would allow the download to happen as soon as the "sign me up" button is clicked. However, I don't know a solution for Wix unfortunately. I imagine you'd be able to code it, but you said you weren't HTML savvy.

In regards to the reward process, if you want to collect email addresses, you should have a double opt in. In which case, you should encourage them to go to their emails there and then (i.e. for the download). Otherwise, they'll probably forget they ever joined up and will never confirm the sign up. Alternatively, you could go single opt in. However, this would mean you end up with your emails in the subscribers junk folder. Then there email will be of no use to you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers,
Jordan

Last edited:
Back