Need help sending tracks to a label.

DJJohn

Hey guys! Im planning to send my track with my motivation message to a label, but im scared that they won't open my mail... do you think it's better to call the label first, and tell them that i am sending them a song so they already know what's going to happen? If i give them my name, and they will tell it to the A&R manager that he has to keep his eyes open if he reads my name as the subject? Thanks a lot

I'd suggest ring ahead. I've actually found researching events that the A&R maybe attending to be effective for many people I know, and then introducing themselves personally and building from there.

Second best option is to phone the office, and ask if there any expected requirements for submission. If there's a page on their website about demo submissions, look there and follow the instructions.

Make sure the email is not too long, straight to the point. Keep kiss-assing to a minimum, one sentence of a quick kiss-ass is perfect!

Good luck, and feel free to let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jordan

I'd suggest ring ahead. I've actually found researching events that the A&R maybe attending to be effective for many people I know, and then introducing themselves personally and building from there.

Second best option is to phone the office, and ask if there any expected requirements for submission. If there's a page on their website about demo submissions, look there and follow the instructions.

Make sure the email is not too long, straight to the point. Keep kiss-assing to a minimum, one sentence of a quick kiss-ass is perfect!

Good luck, and feel free to let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jordan

Hey Jordan, thank you for the great information! They don't have the demo submissions anymore om their website, they use an app called Talent Pool on Facebook and you upload your track and people need to vote for your track... some good tracks don't even reach in the top 50 position... the more friends/people that vote for you, the higher position u reach... The label is Spinnin Records but im sending my mail and song to more labels not just Spinnin, but i guess if i call them and ask them everything then maybe they'll give me the personal mail of an A&R, right? Im just so nervous to call haha and it's better to send my original mix and not demo, or do u think demo is better? Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Spinnin is a big label. I'd recommend starting smaller. Look in to some indies before going to the big boys.

I know someone at a major who has a blacklist. He literally writes a list of artists/producers who cross him in a negative way, whether they send in a poor submission, have an attitude, whatever it maybe. He literally has a system which marks any of those names as spam in his emails so he doesn't need to read them.

Start small, if you get in to talks with them, then maybe you have something worthwhile for the likes of Spinnin Records. You can get in contact with them then...

In the process, you've developed experience and some self confidence which will come be very useful to you.

In regards to sending a demo/original mix, whatever you think is quality. Make sure it's quality. I imagine you don't have any numbers, and you're probably starting out with little radio play. You can gain even more experience by learning the radio submission environment.

Labels nowadays don't invest in artist development, they want the finished product. Try the indies like I mentioned, or build your career your self. When you start making a name for yourself, Spinnin will probably love that you've submitted to them.

Hope I've helped - sorry if I've taken you down a different path. Just a couple of things I think you should consider.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.s. going entirely independent will require a lot of work, I write about forming your own music career on my blog. Feel free to check out the first two posts. You may find them useful.

Why Your Attitude Stinks
Are Your Objectives Smart?

Last edited:
Spinnin is a big label. I'd recommend starting smaller. Look in to some indies before going to the big boys.

I know someone at a major who has a blacklist. He literally writes a list of artists/producers who cross him in a negative way, whether they send in a poor submission, have an attitude, whatever it maybe. He literally has a system which marks any of those names as spam in his emails so he doesn't need to read them.

Start small, if you get in to talks with them, then maybe you have something worthwhile for the likes of Spinnin Records. You can get in contact with them then...

In the process, you've developed experience and some self confidence which will come be very useful to you.

In regards to sending a demo/original mix, whatever you think is quality. Make sure it's quality. I imagine you don't have any numbers, and you're probably starting out with little radio play. You can gain even more experience by learning the radio submission environment.

Labels nowadays don't invest in artist development, they want the finished product. Try the indies like I mentioned, or build your career your self. When you start making a name for yourself, Spinnin will probably love that you've submitted to them.

Hope I've helped - sorry if I've taken you down a different path. Just a couple of things I think you should consider.

Cheers,
Jordan

Hey Jordan, thanks for the great information but if you compare my music with most of the producers that are signed to Spinnin, you will laugh at Spinnin for having crap producers... i make professional edm songs, more professional and better then most of the producers Spinnin has... do you really think i won't get an answer back from Spinnin? I am more then just a producer, and music is really my passion and i go to a music school, i will include everything about my music life in the mail so they get interested, of course i WON'T lie about something in my mail. Thanks, im looking forward to your reply i really appreciate it ☺

Unfortunately, some labels aren't interested about how good music is. I have no opinion on Spinnins producers, don't really know many of their artists that well so can't comment whether they are quality or not. All I do know is that they are a large label looking for one thing, and one thing only: investments that turn a profit.

If you don't have the stats to prove you're a worthwhile investment, they'll probably laugh you out. That's the sad thing about the music industry, but it's also a reality for so many people.

I've never been a great producer, so if my music's ever been laughed at, it's probably justified. But I know so many who are artistically amazing that still get laughed out... Because they don't have enough plays.

Bare in mind, I've never heard your music so I can't gauge whether it's quality or not. That's just what I know from mine and others experiences.

Try it, but there's a possibility you get blacklisted. There's a possibility your opinion of your music is biased. Have you got feedback from others? And I'm talking outside of your friendship group.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. DO NOT SEND A LENGTHY EMAIL. Keep it short, succinct, straight to the point. Add an attachment (a PDF of your press kit) that they can view if they are still interested.

Last edited:
Exclusivo is correct,

Nobody at the labels is just sitting around listening to music from unknown producers, they are looking for investments. If you have completed song you might get a chance, but nobody is trying to use their imagination while listening to a beat

One tip that I will give you is that none of the people that can really make something happen that I've met open any attachments; you need to send them a link to listen to your music.

I know with artists, they want to get a link to a webpage with social media links that are all synchronized with music and visuals; if you don't have these things as an artist don't expect to get listened to b/c that's the minimum expected of an aspiring artist.

For producers, I would imagine it's a similar thing, but I don't know anyone that's sitting around just listening to empty beats with tags all over them so it's hard for me to imagine a producer getting an opportunity without having fully completed songs, but i guess there are some hungry A&Rs out there do that kind of work

another thing, your perspective appears a bit off to me from when you stated " the more friends and family that vote the higher you go". If you're counting on that kind of support you must have a large ass family or been the friendliest guy in the world

Unfortunately, some labels aren't interested about how good music is. I have no opinion on Spinnins producers, don't really know many of their artists that well so can't comment whether they are quality or not. All I do know is that they are a large label looking for one thing, and one thing only: investments that turn a profit.

If you don't have the stats to prove you're a worthwhile investment, they'll probably laugh you out. That's the sad thing about the music industry, but it's also a reality for so many people.

I've never been a great producer, so if my music's ever been laughed at, it's probably justified. But I know so many who are artistically amazing that still get laughed out... Because they don't have enough plays.

Bare in mind, I've never heard your music so I can't gauge whether it's quality or not. That's just what I know from mine and others experiences.

Try it, but there's a possibility you get blacklisted. There's a possibility your opinion of your music is biased. Have you got feedback from others? And I'm talking outside of your friendship group.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. DO NOT SEND A LENGTHY EMAIL. Keep it short, succinct, straight to the point. Add an attachment (a PDF of your press kit) that they can view if they are still interested.

Hi Jordan, why do you think you've never been a great producer...? How long do you produce bro? We were all not great the first 2-3 years... some people even more... but believe me it will come, just practice a lot and be PATIENCE TRUST ME. And as you said 'if you don't have the stats to prove you're a worthwhile investment' do you mean if my music is not good? Because i know most of my songs sound very huge... im not an ego person, im just honest. Yes i've got feedback from big producers including producers from Spinnin' but on instagram (likes and comments). Thanks

Exclusivo is correct,

Nobody at the labels is just sitting around listening to music from unknown producers, they are looking for investments. If you have completed song you might get a chance, but nobody is trying to use their imagination while listening to a beat

One tip that I will give you is that none of the people that can really make something happen that I've met open any attachments; you need to send them a link to listen to your music.

I know with artists, they want to get a link to a webpage with social media links that are all synchronized with music and visuals; if you don't have these things as an artist don't expect to get listened to b/c that's the minimum expected of an aspiring artist.

For producers, I would imagine it's a similar thing, but I don't know anyone that's sitting around just listening to empty beats with tags all over them so it's hard for me to imagine a producer getting an opportunity without having fully completed songs, but i guess there are some hungry A&Rs out there do that kind of work

another thing, your perspective appears a bit off to me from when you stated " the more friends and family that vote the higher you go". If you're counting on that kind of support you must have a large ass family or been the friendliest guy in the world
Hey Agivens, first of all thanks for reading my post and the reply. Yes the more friends. If u get a lot of votes, you reach higher in the charts. Some simple songs end up in top 10... it's cuz the person get a lot of votes, most of them are friends... he must have a lot of friends on his facebook account that's why. Your post made me a bit sad Agivens, made me feel like there's no chance sending the A&R ? but thanks for the advice bro☺

Agivens advice is spot on. Especially the bit about attachments.

I think I may have said to attach your press kit. In some cases, I've found that's what some A&Rs like. It really depends on their personal preference. But always put links in, instead to be on the safe side. I know a lot of A&Rs like to print press kits out and read while listening to the music later on... If they want to take a second, more timely listen...

I just don't have that spark like others do. I've made some great stuff, but it's a hobby so I've never been consistent. More of an executive producer now, really. I know where to take things to the complete stage, just finding that early inspiration for a new sound is hard when you don't have much time. I've been producing 5 years, by the way.

When I say stats, I mean stats (statistics)... If you haven't had radioplay, they won't look at you. If you don't have a newsletter with 100,000 people, they'll probably ignore you.

If you haven't been making a large profit from music today, you need to have the numbers there to say you will make a large profit tomorrow.

That was my point. The labels will overlook you if you don't. But you might get lucky, and they'll sign you on the basis that your music's good. You might. I hope you do! But I highly doubt you will.

Cheers,
Jordan

Back