Need Advice Regarding PRO's and Business Structure

sexycesar

I am a beat maker, writer and singer. My plan is to both sell exclusive beats (to artists,publishers or labels) and also sell and market my own original songs. I also have a few other singers and producers looking to work with me.

My question are;

1. Do I setup a publishing company, record label or both? If I will be selling my own music and other artist music.

2. When registering with a PRO do I register as a writer or publisher? If I have a record label does that count as the publisher?

Before you proceed any further, get Donald Passman's book, and subscribe to Moses Avalon's e-mail list.

GJ

Do I setup a publishing company or record label?

(Im posting here again because I needed to clarify and count figure out how to edit or delete my other post)

I am a beat maker, writer and singer. My plan is to:

1. Sell and market my own original songs.
2. Sell exclusive instrumental beats (to artists,publishers or labels).
3. Sell music from other recording artists that I will sign.

My own music and the music of my other artist will be sold digitally and on streaming platforms. Instrumental beats for other artist will be sold on exclusive licenses.

Is it more beneficial for me to setup a publishing company, record label, both as separate companies or one company that handles everything? I am based in California.

Last edited:
If you don't already know, then you probably need to do a lot more research before making these important decisions. You will, unfortunately, most likely _not_ get the advice and consultation you need from an Internet message board, even one as great as FP. I wasn't giving you a blow-off answer-- Get Donald Passman's book and read it cover to cover.

GJ

Back