My Remix was taken down on SoundCloud!?

Coleman1

Coleman1
My first ever Remix to have been put on soundcloud, which was released just a couple weeks or so ago has been taken down due to copyright infringement. I think it's very unfair because I have a lot of Producer friends whom are remixing songs a lot, in fact, most of their tracks are remixes. I wasn't selling the song but giving it out for free because I just wanted to use it to get my name out there. Thousands and thousands of remixes are uploaded to soundcloud weekly and I don't see them being removed, maybe if they were making money out of them but I'm not. Why has my song been taken down, and has anybody else had experience with this...?

a hard question to answer - you may have been reported as infringing; this can be because of many different reasons so I will not speculate as to why someone might do that; you may have been detected by their own audits; you may have...

Unless you actually have written authority to use the sample(s) you are in breach of copyright law in Australia, the USA, the UK, Canada and many other jurisdictions: the claim of "fair use" or "fair dealing" only applies to criticism, review, educational use for assessment purposes and parody/satire. Any other use of a sample, no matter how small (yes even if it is only 10 samples long), is not permitted without written permission first...

I understand.. frustrating when you see so many remixes, day in, day out without permission.. not to point any fingers of course but it is definitely frustrating to be pulled up by it. How can I receive permission? because I love remixing, it's a staple in my music and it's very important to me..

Yes, either someone involved noticed your use of their material, or someone else alerted them, or someone just blew you in for whatever reason. Ultimately, that is what the law states. You can't go by "who else gets away with it."

Would it be possible for you to seek permission?

GJ

Yeah, I contacted soundcloud and they said all they can do is hold onto my track until I receive permission. And so is my only way of getting permission to contact the Label that released the Original version of the song and ask for permission? Because that could take literally weeks to get a response.. And I really do want permission on all of my songs and future remixes too, so it'd be awesome to know if there's a certain way it can be done..

Last edited:
It might take more than weeks. But if you're going to release this stuff, you should get clearances first. There will likely be fees if permission is granted. As far as releases, I am not an attorney, so do not offer legal advice, but would do my best to suggest alternatives based on specific information. We don't know enough about your remix to comment right now. Did you create your own/entirely new recorded version of the song? Did you use an entire vocal track from the original? Did you use an entire existing track and add additional elements? Did you use smaller sample elements that need to be cleared? Are you seeking to file for copyright protection on your version of the piece in question? What is the name of the original song? Who are the rights entities involved? (Besides the label, you may need publisher clearance and/or artist and/or songwriter permission as well; depends on a number of factors and who the copyrights are assigned to).

Can you give more specific info? If you'd like to take the discussion to PM, feel free to send me a note.

GJ

I feel for you, Coleman.

I make Hip Hop remixes as well and, after over a year, finally decided to make an acoustic remix to a Taylor Swift song to showcase how I can actually play guitar and piano besides chop samples and play synths. I got 400 views and after a month...poof Soundcloud removed the track. I did a search and not only did I find dozens of pages of other people covering/remixing the same song, but they had over 5 million views!

No idea why mine was cherry-picked for removal, but SC leaves themselves an out for shade by saying just because other people do it doesn't mean you can do it as well.

...and I'm a paying Pro Member smh.

Good thing is there are a ton of groups you can join on SC of members who share their acapellas with you. Try using theirs and make sure to let the artist know when you have used theirs. Build that relationship and it is actually very beneficial.

Hey man.. And wow, doesn't it just suck right? I looked up my remix and seriously saw hundreds, if not thousands of the same song with a lot more plays and publicity than mine but soundcloud goes off a system, they don't really just go on and choose random ones.. But in saying that, what pages do you mean exactly? And are these vocals actually professional vocals? Because even if Vocals don't go that long, I just find working around them can be super helpful. Kind of like Tiesto's "In My Mind", it's only short but effective. Kind of like Progressive house and trancy type of vocals.

Hey man.. And wow, doesn't it just suck right? I looked up my remix and seriously saw hundreds, if not thousands of the same song with a lot more plays and publicity than mine but soundcloud goes off a system, they don't really just go on and choose random ones.. But in saying that, what pages do you mean exactly? And are these vocals actually professional vocals? Because even if Vocals don't go that long, I just find working around them can be super helpful. Kind of like Tiesto's "In My Mind", it's only short but effective. Kind of like Progressive house and trancy type of vocals.

Type in "Acapellas" in the search bar and a ton of groups that you can join will pop up. Many are professional quality, some are not, but they are vocals of other Soundcloud members who are giving you permission to use them. The same way you are a producer looking for vocals there are singers/rappers looking for music. All they ask is that you contact them when you finish a song using their vocals and let them check it out the same way you would expect a rapper/singer to contact you if they used one of your beats.

Thanks for the suggestion haha. Tbh, I'd probably rather prefer to find an acapella I like and then contact that person about actually making a song so that those vocals are only mine and his/hers

Back