Are my prices to low? really? how's your price? Producer to producer tips...

RICP

Red LiGHT
Recently some people have been saying my prices are too low

I should charge Artists more for my beats...

Check it on my website www.beatsbyrico.webs.com

But really? since there's a lot of broke Artists this days...

Most of them try to get free stuff from you..

What do you have to say about this?

Thanks for your support

@Rico_Bdz

Last edited:
Naw these people just want something for nothing. They don't care about you they just want to do their own thing and don't care about anyone or anything but themselves most of the time. I have had rappers try to get over on me over $1 leases which I was doing as a promo for a while. They still tripped over $1 meaning they are likely unwilling to pay anything at all. I prefer dealing with the guys who respect our craft enough to pay a reasonable price. Cats who haggle you over $12 leases ain't worth your time.

Dang and here I thought I was charging just right - $60-$100 per hours worth of work. Exclusive lease ca. $600 or 10% of gross sales and publishing income.

Buy it outright looking at $6000 easy - I only want to deal with cats who believe in themselves and believe in me......

Non-exclusive leases I don't want to know about.......

unfortunately That happens to lot of us....
for some reason Artists don't respect upcoming producers like us no more!

I'm feeling your beats bro
Good Stuff there!
Thanks
beatsbyrico

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

yhh bro...keeping it real!
I guess it depends on what you're looking for....
Some just do it for fun...

beatsbyrico

Dang and here I thought I was charging just right - $60-$100 per hours worth of work. Exclusive lease ca. $600 or 10% of gross sales and publishing income.

Buy it outright looking at $6000 easy - I only want to deal with cats who believe in themselves and believe in me......

Non-exclusive leases I don't want to know about.......
The internet market is flooded with home studio college, high school, middle school aged kids. They are the ones who spend money on beats and you have to price according to their weekly allowance. Therefore $20 beats is just what the market needs/wants. When you leave the net and find artists actually paying for stuff u find reasonable offers like that.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

unfortunately That happens to lot of us....
for some reason Artists don't respect upcoming producers like us no more!

I'm feeling your beats bro
Good Stuff there!
Thanks
beatsbyrico

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

yhh bro...keeping it real!
I guess it depends on what you're looking for....
Some just do it for fun...

beatsbyrico

Its not a new thing artists been saying that online for about a decade now.

yhh you're damn right!

there's always hope....
Good promotion and quality beats can boost your sales.

The best way to boost sales is change your sales strategy. The reason there is not much money in hip hop anymore is because the hip hop audience doesn't want to pay for anything. We have been getting free albums for a decade, free plug ins free beats free music software free movies free magazines free books free video games free basically anything we want for a good decade some people grew up not knowing that you were actually supposed to buy cds there are guys out there who want to make beats with samples and say omg records are so expensive ect when u can get a shit ton of records for $20 if u go to the right places but youtube has the same songs for free so why buy a record. I honestly have lost a lot of faith in hip hop sales wise but i love the music. Its to the point people are begging you to buy their albums and its kinda sad. Producers aren't getting paid for their work by major artists and shit like that is becoming more and more common. In the future producers will not exist because you will have to be an artist who makes their own beats writes their own lyrics promotes and finances their entire project. that is the direction music is going into less collaboration and more in house DIY. Adjust your strategy accordingly

YOU SAid it all ... that's how things are this days.
But i think we should not lose our faith, Loss of faith can involve questioning ourselves and that's not what we want. You should always belive in yourself, But I do understand what you're saying.
I belive there's enough room for everyone to make money or just get what you want as long as you apply yourself and be patient enough, good things will come to you.
blessings
beatsbyrico

Oh I am making money just not all based on beat sales or hip hop. Not enough to pay all of my bills with but a good portion of them

Recently some people have been saying my prices are too low

I sould charge Arists more for my beats...

Check it on my website www.beatsbyrico.webs.com

But really? since there's a lot of broke Artists this days...

Most of them try to get free stuff from you..

What do you have to say about this?

Thanks for you support

@Rico_Bdz

Honestly, you should be giving away your music.

You are not bad, but you are not good either. You are not ready to start charging money for your music yet. You need to give out tracks to artists that you enjoy hearing. Start chasing down cats instead of waiting for them to come to you. You will then be able to build your name and let people know that you have quality material.

You are wasting time trying to make money with no buzz. People much better than you are giving away free music and are building their names. You should be doing the same. If you are desperate for money, get a day job. Work your music on the side until you truly build something worthy of making money from.

Do not be another "cats don't wanna pay for my hot joints" beatmaker. Your joints are not that hot yet. Get to work by building. You will then be able to charge thousands for songs without even hustling. This is how professionals do it these days. Do not wait for cats on the internet to discover you. You go to those who are serious and put in work. Please think about what I am saying. I am only here to help.

Many artists are not willing to invest money in us, producers because they want the free route. I typically charge $19.99 for a beat, which I think is pretty reasonable, however, the "clients" I deal with in real life are like, "Wow, That's really expensive! I'm not paying for that," only to find them invest in a microphone, all these other expensive equipment or a new iPhone. Conversely, I've dealt with other clients that brought 1 or more of my beats with no problems attached but from these experiences in selling beats I was able to conclude:

1. Selling beats for low prices is really short changing yourself. Sell your beats for what you really think they're worth. If you think your beats are worth $1000, sell it for $1000. Sometime down the road, if someone values your beats the way you do, they will buy.

2. Learn to negotiate. Negotiating is a powerful tool that can help you in many ways. A good negotiator can easily raise the price of his beats to a client, or cut "deals" that can benefit both you and your client at the same time, but mostly you of course! ;)

3. Be Business Minded. Put your foot down. A lot of artists will try to take advantage of you. I've been taken advantage of many times when I first started out. Separate friends from business. If your client seems like he's trying to take advantage of you, stop it & close the deal if you have to. If your client turns you into a desperate producer willing to do anything to sell a beat to him/her, you're in a sad space. Don't be afraid to let your client go because, If a client really respects you and your business policies, he will follow them without any serious problems. There may be some scenarios or exceptions where you can change your policy for that particular moment, but for the most part, put your foot down.

4. Invest in yourself. There's many ways to invest in yourself, like getting better equipment and such but another good way to invest in yourself and your music is through promotion. Learn to promote yourself well & don't be afraid to pay for promotion. Just make sure the promotion you pay for is legit & will actually get you somewhere. Also, don't be afraid to ask your fans to help promote you. Fans are actually, in my opinion, the best form of promotion. If your friend told you to listen to his new favorite song, would you do it?

5. Don't focus too much on making sales. Don't be desperate on making sales. If someone likes your beat enough & they're serious about what they do, they'll buy it. Don't stress it. Just focus on making great, better music.

6. Check on your customers. Ask prior customers who bought your beats about their success, how they're doing or if they're interested in new beats. Cut deals for them, give them VIP opportunities, etc. Congratulate them for buying your beat.

7. Cut deals. Discounts, specials, prizes, free downloads, Buy 1 get 1 frees you name it. Have special days where you do at least one of these. It'll keep some people interested.

8. Deliver fresh content as much as possible. It's self explanatory but the fresher your content database, the more likely it is for your fan base to grow, perfect your craft, & make a sale.

9. Network, Network, Network. Get your music out there to as much places & people as possible.

I got lazier as I wrote to the end, & most of this is things you already know. I'm not sure if these are the best tips, but these are thoughts I've developed while marketing my beats. Feel free to discuss what you think.

First of all
I'd like to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to write and drop some good tips, I'm sure it will be very useful for me and everyone.

And I would like to clarify something now, I started this post to have a basic and general idea of what other producers are doing, and so that everybody could share his opinions and own experiences.

I've been doing this for a while, and all I can say is... I've already experienced a bit of everything that you just mentioned.
Especially the people trying to take advatange of my inexperience!
But since, I've always been very realistic and confortable with myself. I see it as something to learn and improve myself.

I figured that the way you approach and deal with your clients is also very important and yes "separate friends from business"
Is really important and some people are too scared to be direct when it comes to talk about "money & business" so, I think that's really important!...

Basically all that you just said is true, I'm sure a lot of people are going through that.

I also would say, that there's a lot of peolple out there trying to break your spirit, it's a long journey! So, getting your mind right is a must.

No matter how bad you are, if you really like it and keep pushing yourself. I belive that the results will come.
Even if is comming slowly don't matter.
  1. Reminds me of a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson Every artist was first an amateur.

Beatsbyrico

Last edited:

honestly, you should be giving away your music.

You are not bad, but you are not good either. You are not ready to start charging money for your music yet. You need to give out tracks to artists that you enjoy hearing. Start chasing down cats instead of waiting for them to come to you. You will then be able to build your name and let people know that you have quality material.

You are wasting time trying to make money with no buzz. People much better than you are giving away free music and are building their names. You should be doing the same. If you are desperate for money, get a day job. Work your music on the side until you truly build something worthy of making money from.

Do not be another "cats don't wanna pay for my hot joints" beatmaker. Your joints are not that hot yet. Get to work by building. You will then be able to charge thousands for songs without even hustling. This is how professionals do it these days. Do not wait for cats on the internet to discover you. You go to those who are serious and put in work. Please think about what i am saying. I am only here to help.

what he said.. If i were you.. I'd network with other rappers.. Get them to rap over ya joints.. Then once u get real good.. Start chargin them. By then you should have a lil fan base..

what he said.. If i were you.. I'd network with other rappers.. Get them to rap over ya joints.. Then once u get real good.. Start chargin them. By then you should have a lil fan base..

I say the same as them. You gotta have a product to sell before you try and sell it and your product isn't ready yet. I wouldn't concern myself with how to sell beats. I would concern myself with how to make beats that sell themselves.

Honestly, you should be giving away your music.

Do not be another "cats don't wanna pay for my hot joints" beatmaker. Your joints are not that hot yet. Get to work by building. You will then be able to charge thousands for songs without even hustling. This is how professionals do it these days. Do not wait for cats on the internet to discover you. You go to those who are serious and put in work. Please think about what I am saying. I am only here to help.

This guy is right. Don't sell beats, yet. Start chasing them down and work on building your buzz. When your buzz gets big, and people consider you good, start selling your beats & everybody would be like WOAH this guy just got serious! I wish I had this advice when I first started!

& Honestly, work on the music that appeals to you. Don't focus on making music that sells. The only time you focus on making music that sells is if you just want to make money or you rely on music production as a serious job career. Other than that, I repeat, make the music that YOU want to make. Eventually, (when they find you) people who feel your style will gravitate to you. Also, try to be unique and have something that stands out or sets you apart from other producers.

~ My 2 cents.

Last edited:
thanks DAH Trump;The Beat Pharmacy I will do that

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

yhh that's what i'm gonna do thanks

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

yhh will definitely do that!.... thanks

Back