Music For TV?

Handmade

How can someone contact MTV, BET, Nick, etc. to try and get their music put on a TV show or something like that? If you write an email, what should you say in the email to the TV company? Also, what kind of music do you make? What kind of music is "TV" music?

You dont call them directly as they have music supervisors that screen and pick music for upcoming shows. You'd have to submit music to places like pumpaudio, broadjam, modernbeats, etc. They handle the "screening" for those companies.

As far as quality, YOUR BEST YOU CAN DO. Also has to be a current sound (sometimes). It has to be professional quality. A measure stick I've always used is if I mix my beat in with say a kanye/jdilla/primo ipod mix, and ppl listen to it, can they tell the diff (good/bad). Not necessarily the style of music, but the audio quality(loudness, mixing, eq, etc).

I write music/beatz for TV all the time. And he's right, you don't call/email the company. You go to conferences/meet 'n greets where the Music Supervisors are. Those are the people that choose the music for the show and clear the licenses (also, the producer for the show will also decide). There is a list that is printed every year in different publications. Build those relationships and you will get your music placed if you have the talent. As usual, it's all about relationships. Here is a video I did about TV music placements/royalties for a show I did called Operation Repo:
Royalties: How much money can you make off a beat? - YouTube

I write music/beatz for TV all the time. And he's right, you don't call/email the company. You go to conferences/meet 'n greets where the Music Supervisors are. Those are the people that choose the music for the show and clear the licenses (also, the producer for the show will also decide). There is a list that is printed every year in different publications. Build those relationships and you will get your music placed if you have the talent. As usual, it's all about relationships. Here is a video I did about TV music placements/royalties for a show I did called Operation Repo:
Royalties: How much money can you make off a beat? - YouTube

Yea, that's the biggest part (building the relationships). Always nice to see someone else that works with TV/Film.

Back