Music Royalties

floydonline

Hi folks,

1st post so I do apologize if this has been covered at another point.

I'm based in the UK producing Trap, Hip Hop etc... Doing it for a bit of fun.

Over the last month I have uploaded 6 tracks onto Soundcloud (link in profile), to my surprise in that short time I have had over 400 hits and a handful of artists reaching out to me asking if they can use my material.

I am really looking for some advice about when I should approach this a bit more seriously and start looking into royalties (presumably PRS) etc.

Thanks for your time.

I would start now.

Too many producers put the carriage before the horse and worry about securing their music (and subsequent revenue streams) after they have already littered the web with their work. (I am no exception to this :4theloveofgod:)

So get on it.

Learn all that you can about securing your music and the revenue streams available to you so if and when people seek you out your affairs will be in order.

Good luck.

:cheers:

I asuume by PRS you mean the performance rights ...services? I'm fimiliar with PRO (performance rights organization), but I guess its the same.

Yea, get on one. BMI is free for the song writer/artist (but $150 for the publishing rights). Ascap is $50 for each. I just started using BMI to test out the free song writer/artist lisence and it seems like a good idea.

I'll get back though later when I learn more because I'm on the same boat rn.

Here's a video I made breaking down Performing Rights Orgs and performance royalties.

Hi folks,

1st post so I do apologize if this has been covered at another point.

I'm based in the UK producing Trap, Hip Hop etc... Doing it for a bit of fun.

Over the last month I have uploaded 6 tracks onto Soundcloud (link in profile), to my surprise in that short time I have had over 400 hits and a handful of artists reaching out to me asking if they can use my material.

I am really looking for some advice about when I should approach this a bit more seriously and start looking into royalties (presumably PRS) etc.

Thanks for your time.

I asuume by PRS you mean the performance rights ...services? I'm fimiliar with PRO (performance rights organization), but I guess its the same.

Yea, get on one. BMI is free for the song writer/artist (but $150 for the publishing rights). Ascap is $50 for each. I just started using BMI to test out the free song writer/artist lisence and it seems like a good idea.

I'll get back though later when I learn more because I'm on the same boat rn.

I think PRS is the foreign equivalent.

Back