Is music production really dead money wise ?

JaySpring

Hey everyone, I know this might be the type of question, that is not really welcomed here, since it is in the terms of finances, but it is very important for me. I am an 18 year old student, with last year of high school ahead of me, and then I should go to college. The thing is, I love freedom, and ending up in a 9 to 5 job after is a nightmare for me honestly. This comes form a deep self awareness point, without any ego included. So I really need to decide, what to do. I love music, but my other life purpose is to live freely - meaning eating out a lot, travelling, and staying around in different cool places (this also comes from a self awareness point, from my pure intends). This wont be possible in a 9-5 job and I do not know how to continue. I love making music, I have been making it for 2 years atm, stopped for a week now and I am already missing it. The thing I am wondering about is, if I should try to focus on something else bussiness wise (I got some product ideas), and try to accomplish something from that side, or just continue with my music ? Because I wont have much time for my music if I start doing something else combined with school. I read a lot of posts saying that there is literally no money in this, and even top producers have to work a normal job. I will be very grateful for every single answer I get. Thank you guys.

Why would financial talk not be welcome here? We're all capitalist and love money! Idk what they brainwashed you with in school, but financial knowledge is very important. Too many college kids, and younger students, have been taught bad information about money

Yes, you can make money with production. You'll have to if you want to work as a producer (and feed a family).

The money comes from a lot of areas though. You can get TV and film placements, commercial placements, gameshow placements, cartoon placements, etc etc. ...videogame placements are another big one. (use a music library for TV and film. If they accept your song, they'll find a placement for it somewhere. TV and film directors need music!) There's a lot of money from music streaming as well. As long as they're legit real streams, you can be paid for people just playing your song online. This is actually more profitable now than music selling/downloading. ...but there is still music selling and downloading. You can do the hip hop approach which is a whole different market segment dealing with leasing and exclusive rights for rappers (i dont get it, but they tend to invent their own way of things). hmm, what else, there is ad money from advertisements on your videos, songs. If you have a website that gets decent traffic, you can monetize your website with advertisements.

Yes, there's money. Collect as much of it as you can. haha, good luck.

It's all about freedom. Like you, I refuse to work for another man. I work for myself and only myself.

There's money. If all else fails, just sell your gold records.

Last edited:
Back