Music Producer Job Opportunities

kasonquarles

Hi guys. I'm Hip-hop/rnb producer trying to come up. I think we can all agree that music is a hard business to get into. I've been giving it some thought and I think I seriously want to go to school to be a mixing engineer/Producer. I currently go to school for computer programming, and I can't stand it. I thought I loved computers up until I started going to school for it. Everything about computer programming just turns me off, and I can't see myself getting a career in the programming field.

I always had family members tell me that its hard to make money in the music field and not something you should get into. But I feel like music is what I need to be doing. I've been grinding for a long time, and a lot of people I know is starting to see talent the in me. We all know it's hard to get your tracks to artists like Drake and Lil Wayne, but is any real guaranteed money in the music industry that not hard to get into. Even if I can't get my music to the artist out there, I know there is a lot of other opportunities out there as a producer/mixing engineer, like getting soundtracks on video games, and movies. I just love doing music so much, I would be willing to do any job. What's your take on this guys?

finish computer programming course or switch to business
along side taking a audio engineer course

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

I've been down the exact path. I used to be a mechanical engineer but couldn't stand it. People around me told me that I should just try to finish the career and then could move to something else. I was never happy about it but I still thought it would be the wisest thing to do. However, something happened and I wasn't able to finish my career having one semester left.

Now that I'm doing what I like most, the only thought that comes to my mind is why didn't I dedicate full time to music. I believe I would have been much more advanced by now. Anyways, what I wanted to say is that if I could go back in time I would drop out without even blinking.

My advice though doesn't really count since I had no choice to leave college leaving one semester behind. You have a choice though. As for me I don't have much options now but to dedicate everything to music. You on the other hand could pursue a career in computer programming if things don't go that well on the music industry. It really is a plus to have options though.

Just trying to give you some insight from someone who has actually gone through a similar experience.

I've been down the exact path. I used to be a mechanical engineer but couldn't stand it. People around me told me that I should just try to finish the career and then could move to something else. I was never happy about it but I still thought it would be the wisest thing to do. However, something happened and I wasn't able to finish my career having one semester left.

Now that I'm doing what I like most, the only thought that comes to my mind is why didn't I dedicate full time to music. I believe I would have been much more advanced by now. Anyways, what I wanted to say is that if I could go back in time I would drop out without even blinking.

My advice though doesn't really count since I had no choice to leave college leaving one semester behind. You have a choice though. As for me I don't have much options now but to dedicate everything to music. You on the other hand could pursue a career in computer programming if things don't go that well on the music industry. It really is a plus to have options though.

Just trying to give you some insight from someone who has actually gone through a similar experience.

this is great advice since it is from experience
but I have to say don't quite school switch your subject to something that will help with your production company setup and operation
like business associate degree in business along side taking some online classes through berkelee
some would say learn everything from book and on the job experiences which is fine but
it can be hard to make money in the music industry
1.contacts
2.knowledge
3.work ethnics
4.skill
all play a part
and money to invest in your business
so having a job that can support your company till the company can produce it's own support capital is something we all need to consider

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

I'm in school for a music degree. The courses involve studies of commercial music. I highly recomend it. Audio engineering is too specific. Commercial music covers business, song writing, DAW, Fundamentals and Theory as well as engineering. But it all depends on your strenghts. I believe that in todays industry you have to know all the aspects just to get a slight advantage. If you want to get music to artists, I would focus on MMG, if it sounds good they don't care about who made it.

Save your money, download and buy a bunch of online courses from either lynda.com or askvideo and do it yourself. Will be much quicker - also get work experience in a studio - that will be the best learning you will ever have!

Back