music industry job question

moodmusik74

Im recently looking at jobs in the music industry such as
Manager, Corporate Development, Global Digital Business,
Director, Digital Strategy & Business Development, and project manger. Are these jobs capable of being achieved after gaining experience in the field but not pertaining to the music industry or would i be over looked by someone that is alrdy in the music industry but may not have the same or better education as me. I love music and have a passion for all types but im wondering will that and experiences in others fields be able to land me these jobs?

Also my major in college right now is information systems, I plan to get my mba after i work a few years.

links just in case
https://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=WMG&cws=1&rid=1741
https://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=WMG&cws=1&rid=1167
https://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=WMG&cws=1&rid=1577

Last edited:
start networking with music business professionals now
and
start a small-scale music related company that supports your talents/interests

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

will a degree help in anyway?

Yes and no, I say this because I know people who are hired over others with college degrees simply because network and have a good track record. It doesn't hurt to have the degree it means more having experience..

Do both

will a degree help in anyway?

yes having a general business degree will help you when it comes to paperwork(helps with credibility)
having a good mouth-piece is a must(being handle to get your point across and speak well in any situation)
networking your butt off from the beginning and meeting the right ppl and building a excellent support team(priceless)

this is what I stress to my clients all the time
so keep the dream alive but invest in it with time and money

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

A degree is fine to have under your belt. But the best interaction comes from the ones that are already in the profession. Start building a network with people already in and use their resources if they give them up. Create relationships with them.

Agree with fataltone and DSR_CEO - The world runs on relationships. Some people end up in the music bizz just because they know someone that knows someone else and the timing was right.

Sure a degree helps increase your chances along with any side projects but the biggest things are the relationships. So start building.

You don't need a formal education to be successful in the music industry, but it can help. My best advice is to work on your people skills and start making friends.

Brian

Back