Music Business 101 - Publishing

Yes. Really.

(and please refrain from using all these ridiculously large and randomly sized fonts because it is making the thread very difficult to read. Thank you.)

Go back and read what the man that started the thread wrote homie.

" musical compositions and sound recordings. Musical compositions are merely “songs” - melody, rhythm, arrangement, lyrics (if there are any)."

1. So already we see that you skimmed through and did not read.

I am not sure what you are getting at here.

Are you saying that I didn't read something properly or that I skimmed through the OP and you are quoting the line you think I got my information from?

I didn't get my information from the OP. I know what "music publishing" is. I am an attorney who was a staff attorney at a large record label.

2. Posting anything to a website is also considered publishing. There is more than one kind (of publishing). The act of placing anything on the internet is publishing my friend.

Like I said, "IN THIS CONTEXT" it is not "publishing"

"Music publishing" is different from the dictionary definition of the word "publishing"

"placing something on the internet" may be "publishing" is by some dictionary definition... but it does NOT relate to "music publishing", my friend.

As said in the eHow article
How to Publish Music on the Web

(I am sure you know of e-how right - Here is option #4)

"Feature your MP3 files on sites like MP3, or your own website. You may also feature music on MySpace, or other social networking sites. First, rip your songs into MP3 format using a program like Cubase or SoundForge, then upload to the website of your choice. Consult iTunes and other major sites to gain the widest Web audience for your music.

That is a horrible "article" and essentially worthless.

You should choose your sources of information more wisely.

Something written by "an ehow contributor" holds no weight. Anybody could have written that. It is just something that some guy who knows nothing (as evidenced by the content of the "article") about "music publishing" wrote.

3. When you hire a publishing company online this is what they do. They put your catalog on a website and leave it open for the public to find. You being found depending on how similar what they are looking for is to what you have.

No. It is really not.

You should seriously delete that ehow link because it is giving you bad information.

You keep tellng me to go back and read the OP... well, I read it, and it is pretty accurate (which is why I kept the thread here)...

...and do you see how it is saying something completely different from your ehow article?

4. Please sir just stop being negative. If you would take a second to understand what people are sayin instead of thinking your the only one that knows something. You might learn something.

I know what I am talking about. You need better sources of information. And you should take your own advice.

5. I think you just did!

I learned that ehow is not a reliable source of information.

In reply to dvyce

My friend this OP is about publishing music. What is a composition? I simply placed some information on the topic relating to it in my profession which is producing. In order to help others that are in need of some info. I am simply stating that if a producer wishes to do their own online publishing (because many seek publishing companies), there are ways of doing it yourself. I gave them those ways to do it yourself. Which are very accurate. Google my website my friend. Google anything about my company. Mys success speaks for itself. Gather your senses please, and rethink your disagreement with my intentions. You are reading with your mind closed. Something that can lead to mis understanding.

My friend this OP is about publishing music.

No. This OP is about "music publishing"... NOT "publishing music"...

they are two very different things.

The difference is like if if we were talking about "record labels" and you said "I know all about RECORD LABELS. I just came back from staples and I bought a whole package of 50 RECORD LABELS. I just mut them in my printer, type in my band name and the song titles and it prints them out!"

What is a composition?

Is that a serious question? because if it is, I will gladly explain to you what a "composition" is. (and what "music publishing" is... but you could start by ignoring your ehow article and re-reading the OP)

I simply placed some information on the topic relating to it in my profession which is producing. In order to help others that are in need of some info. I am simply stating that if a producer wishes to do their own online publishing (because many seek publishing companies), there are ways of doing it yourself. I gave them those ways to do it yourself. Which are very accurate. Google my website my friend. Google anything about my company. Mys success speaks for itself.

I appreciate that you are trying to help people... but please try to understand that ",usic publishing" has a very specific meaning and what you are describing is not related to "music publishing"...

...you are having a different conversation than everyone else who is talking about what was described in the OP.

Gather your senses please, and rethink your disagreement with my intentions. You are reading with your mind closed. Something that can lead to mis understanding.

No offense, but you need to open your mind and try to understand that the word "publishing" can have very different meanings in different contexts.

You are misunderstanding the topic of "music publishing"...

...that is fine... many people are confused by the topic of "music publishing" at first... is sounds more complicated than it really is, though.

This is the most useful information I have found on the internet so far, as I am starting from knowing nothing about a week ago. I think its very useful because no assumptions were made on previous knowledge.
Cheers.

Question: I am already a registered member of BMI. Just starting out as a beatmaker, do I just need to register each beat with BMI? Or do I have to pay to copyright each one? I just want to make sure ALL the beats I make are going to be protected from pirating. What should I do to get started?

Thanks,

Premo :cheers:

Question: I am already a registered member of BMI. Just starting out as a beatmaker, do I just need to register each beat with BMI? Or do I have to pay to copyright each one? I just want to make sure ALL the beats I make are going to be protected from pirating. What should I do to get started?

Thanks,

Premo :cheers:

uhhh...what did BMI say about it?

Old thread, but to chime in...2010 going into 2011...f**k pub, 9 times out of 10...more upfront will do you better than waiting on royalties.

At least from my experience. I'll waive pub for an extra $5k on most commercial projects currently. Better than waiting another 12 months for $8k.

You may be right, but don't count yourself out like that! be patient! residuals are dope!

Back