Music Business 101 - Publishing

I've been in the music biz for years and I still have a hard time understanding publishing. Thanks for the post

This is dope. I'm going to Full Sail University right now for Entertainment business so I'm learning all of this. Check out "All You Need To Know About the Music Business" also if you really want to get in depth in the industry. Great Post.

This is the best information that I've ever seen! Thank you so much for informing us. I write songs and needed this information!

Simple.... For those that make beats.

For those that make beats/instrumentals here is something you can do in this aspect. As he spoke of its the action of looking to get paid for the beats. So for instance here is what I do. When a beat is good enough and I want to make money off of it. I publish it immediately, by putting it places like - http://twiturm.com/x57xt / Rocbattle / beatswagger / or of course my own website www.dirtyscopebeatz.com Publishing for producers is simply having a catalog. Where you publish in many times will protect you alot better. Like say for instance having beats for sale online. This gives it more of an opportunity to be heard, and has a greater depth to the publishing than a household catalog

~>FOCUS<~

Last edited:
For those that make beats/instrumentals here is something you can do in this aspect. As he spoke of its the action of looking to get paid for the beats. So for instance here is what I do. When a beat is good enough and I want to make money off of it. I publish it immediately, by puttit places like - {...\\snip//...} Publishing for producers is simply having a catalog. Where you publish in many times will protect you alot better. Like say for instance having beats for sale online. This give it more of an opportunity to be heard, and has a greater depth to the publishing than a household catalog

~>FOCUS<~

You do not understand what the term "publishing" means.

What you are describing in your post is not related to "publishing"...

...or was your post just a way to crobar as many links to your site into one paragraph as you could?

You do not understand what the term "publishing" means.

What you are describing in your post is not related to "publishing"...

...or was your post just a way to crobar as many links to your site into one paragraph as you could?

I just cannot reply to this. I know what i am speaking of my friend. Please read carefully.

I just cannot reply to this. I know what i am speaking of my friend. Please read carefully.

"publishing" does not mean "you posted you song on a website and it is published...

"publishing" in this context is not something you "do"...

"music publishing" refers to the composition... The "composition" being the music that is recorded in the "master"...

Every song has two "sides" to the copyright: the "master" and the "publishing"

Old thread, but to chime in...2010 going into 2011...f**k pub, 9 times out of 10...more upfront will do you better than waiting on royalties.

At least from my experience. I'll waive pub for an extra $5k on most commercial projects currently. Better than waiting another 12 months for $8k.

"publishing" does not mean "you posted you song on a website and it is published...

"music publishing" refers to the composition... The "composition" being the music that is recorded in the "master"...

Really!@

Go back and read what the man that started the thread wrote homie.

" musical compositions and sound recordings. Musical compositions are merely “songs” - melody, rhythm, arrangement, lyrics (if there are any)."

1. So already we see that you skimmed through and did not read.

2. Posting anything to a website is also considered publishing. There is more than one kind (of publishing). The act of placing anything on the internet is publishing my friend.

As said in the eHow article

How to Publish Music on the Web

(I am sure you know of e-how right - Here is option #4)

"Feature your
MP3 files on sites like MP3, or your own website. You may also feature music on MySpace, or other social networking sites. First, rip your songs into MP3 format using a program like Cubase or SoundForge, then upload to the website of your choice. Consult iTunes and other major sites to gain the widest Web audience for your music.

3. When you hire a publishing company online this is what they do. They put your catalog on a website and leave it open for the public to find. You being found depending on how similar what they are looking for is to what you have.

4. Please sir just stop being negative. If you would take a second to understand what people are sayin instead of thinking your the only one that knows something. You might learn something.

5. I think you just did!

Last edited:
Back