Music Business 101 - Copyright Registration

I'm glad somebody finally cleared up that poor man copyright crap just pay the money to do it right so you won't get screwed in court.

great info. a friend mentioned doing the poor man's copyright and wondered how it would hold up in court. i guess registering with bmi or ascap is just the best way to go

great info. a friend mentioned doing the poor man's copyright and wondered how it would hold up in court. i guess registering with bmi or ascap is just the best way to go

In the US, it's not a question of holding up in court. Without copyright registration from the US Copyright Office, you can't even get INTO court.

And registering with BMI, ASCAP, or any other PRO is entirely different from registering your copyright. You register your copyright in the event you ever need to file a lawsuit. You register with a PRO to collect public performance royalties. Two separate concepts.

Ya, Copyright.gov is pretty straightforward and quick to use, granted they have an interface that looks and runs as if it is 10 years old, and seems to only be 100% compatible with Internet Explorer. But it is only $35 to file a copyright on an entire collection or series of songs, and you can .zip them up and upload them instantly.

ok so anyone help me with this?

I live in poland, and from my knowledge there isnt anything like copyright registration, so do I have to copyright my music through usa to claim anything when someone stoles it? is uploading songs on soundclick enough, to take someone to the court? its a little bit confusing for me, i count on your help

Dam I have always wondered about the terms of copywriting thx

Poormans Copyrights elaberated for producers

Yes I totally love these posts and I would like to elaberate on certain parts for the producers.

1. When you are copyrighting your beats. You "CAN" copyright more than one beat!

2. When you do the poor man's copyrights do not open the envelope, and send it either first class or priority. This gives it a better way of telling date and time you sent the beats.

Back