Multimedia Communications or Communications?

You have a lot of post about “majors”. Sounds like you’re trying to cater the degree for a career….I’m assuming MONEY/INCOME/FINANCES is and will be the REAL issue…in that case, change your perspective as this is how the real world will REALLY treat you: Get a job THEN get a degree.

Put your resume together, draft up a cover letter and contact all of the companies and job’s you WANT TO WORK AT. If they REQUIRE a degree, jot down what major/credential level and move on to the next job/company until you find one that accepts you at the skill level you are at. Chances are the company that hire’s you within your current skillset’s will fund and reimburse you for any additional educational cost. If not, keep the job, learn everything about the job/company and keep looking until you find a job that allows you to do whatever it is you want to do, but will also pay for you to get higher education…if they need it. That is the Masonic college secret, work in your field BEFORE, during and after. Experience.

If you’re coming out of pocket…with no job, then “major” in whatever you want to, YOU’RE PAYING FOR IT! So Music, Communication’s, Media ect.ect. will only help enhance YOU and YOUR music production hustle. Unless you want to be a lawyer, doctor, nurse or accountant, then you must obtain those SPECIFIC credentials.

Every major/degree field has industry wide “entry level” points and internal education/promotion processes that include but not limited to: internship’s, shadowing, apprenticeships, certifications, licensures, courses that can be had on the job, quick, fast and at a low cost….WITHOUT A DEGREE! Get in CHEAP, don’t pay 20-100k and take 4 years to get a $9-14/hr or 20-35k year job! That is where you need to put your focus. College’s do the liberal/fine art degree’s to make money, and train new staff, they don’t quantify into real dough in the job market. Instead of looking up major’s, look up “professional education” or “continuing education”…that’s where the money is. You need to get a job first so your focus can be strategic.

I find that women are very on point and tactical when it comes to hustling a “non degree” oriented job hunting strategy. As men, we look for the PAY/SALARY amount’s…women do too but they play closer attention to and manipulate the benefits packages. ie TUITION REIMBURSEMENT, 527 plan’s ect. this is why they out number us on college campuses, most of them already have JOBS!

Get a job, and start talking to some smart women actively working in that field…Indeed.com and linkedin.com

I've explained in your other threads that it's up to what YOU want to do and take from a career. Whether that's money, benefits, flexible working, the job interests you, whatever. No one can answer these questions because it's entirely personal. Find what career you'd be happy in - only you can find it.

Do your research on the web, have a look at the average persons career path in the industry you want to get in to, have a look at the average salaries for each job title you can one day get promoted to. Learn what it takes to be the best in those industries. Like Bloody Glove suggests, have a look at the job ads and descriptions online, it'll help you understand what you need to do to get in to those positions.

Clearly, you're in the USA so I'm not going to say Bloody Glove is wrong, cause I don't know the ins and outs of the system over there. I'm not even going to suggest any different, but the UK has a system which makes it more valuable for you to go straight in to your degree and land yourself the better job title at a younger age (Interest free loans/grants which you pay back once you earn over a certain threshold - it works out to be pennies a month)...

Perhaps, the US doesn't have a similar system. I don't know.

However, what I do know is that experience is usually much more important than the education nowadays... It will differentiate you from the bog standard applicants and give you a higher chance of landing the job you want.

That's not to say education isn't important, it is VITAL. After all, how can you expect to get the experience without having the education? Most entry level jobs require some sort of degree now anyway, so it's more or less mandatory - specifically in the UK.

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

Last edited:

Just major in whatever. A degree will get you further than not having one. Just pick a major that is interesting and not too difficult. Then look for a job.

Communications is the more broad choice. At this point, it encompasses all multimedia anyway. You will learn the multimedia stuff along with other aspects of communication, like interpersonal and public speech. That may open you up to more career opportunities.

Back