MOney around rap/beats: my experience

sweltobeats

Hello guys, I would like to share with you my 15 years of experience on the rap world, hoping somebody will share yours.

I'm Italian, I published 3 official albums as rapper and I gave away around 100 beats to italian rappers, so I will talk about what I really know.

Rap in Italy:
I personally know lots of underground rappers in Italy and I have contacts with some popular artists.
There are probably no more than 10-15 artist that in 2015 have earned more than 100k Euro.
I think that rapper that nowadays can live temporary without a job in Italy are around 30-50.
Money are around live performance, popular artists arrive to ask 10-15k Euro for an exibithion while underground artists that have around 3-4000 copies of their album in freedownload, generally ask between 100 and 300 Euro for a live showcase.
Actually is really hard to sell copies of cd/album, people don't buy too much from Itunes, amazon etc.
I know an artist that was 1st on the week chart of Italian Hip Hop on Itunes in 2013 with only 60 copies, so you can imagine.
The situation is a little better with phisycal copies, but 300 copies is just a good number for an underground artist!
This is the reason because more and more artists (sometimes also the most popular) prefer to make a freedownload of their album.

Beats in Italy:
To be honest, we have several good beatmakers in Italy, IMO.
About money on the beatmaking world, I can say that the strange thing is that in Italy nobody buy you a beat if you will sell it again.
I know that in all of the other parts of world this is not a problem, but in Italy, the mentality is different on the Hip Hop scene (I say Hip Hop scene because on the reggae scene beat licenses work like in USA).
If you are a good producer, also if you don't have a famous name you can sell beats for 30-50 Euro without difficult.
Famous beatmaker can ask also 500 Euro to a small artist for a production, but they can work for free with artists who have a good fanbase.
I want to let you know that there are several rapper that don't buy beats, they prefer to write on weak beats, or download beats from youtube.

This is my experience, if somebody has questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Now I would like to ask you to share your experience, so if somebody want to give me information about beats/rap business in his/her city, especially on underground level, please write it! :)

Back