Mixtapes And Record Deals

Platinum Vocals

Mixtapes are very popular these days and have been responsible for a lot of artist getting deals. Even artist who are signed to major labels continue releasing mixtapes. I think there are strategies to marketing your mixtape. When you find the right method the possibilities are endless. There are so many sites online geared to promoting mixtapes. I am currently working on jumping on the bandwagon but not trying to release a Mixtape without the proper knowledge on making it stand out as well as making it successful. Peace.

For the most part, artists don't get deals off mixtapes (especially if it's free).

They are getting deals based off how much money they generate and the mixtape is being used as a means of promotion to indirectly drive revenue.

For the most part, artists don't get deals off mixtapes (especially if it's free).

They are getting deals based off how much money they generate and the mixtape is being used as a means of promotion to indirectly drive revenue.

I don't know if I agree, I heard of a lot of rappers who got deals solely from putting out a mixtapes. The Game, Drake, Machine Gun Kelly, Meek Mill these are just to name a few. There are many others. Some rappers can't afford studio time or buying beats so they rhyme over beats that's hot and already out. Some are successful and land deals. Even after thy get a deal and have fortune and fame many rappers go back to the beginning and continue releasing mixtapes.

I would argue that the mixtape may have been the most visible component leading to them getting deals and they should be the most visible since they are promotional tools.

Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit because I hear so many artists JUST doing mi tapes thinkin that that's going to do something for them when it's only one component. All of these guys were doing shows in their respective states and generated some kind of revenue before a label jumped in to invest additional money.

You can make a tight mixtape and promote it to the point of building a buzz but if you dot have hard numbers to support that you have generated revenue by gaining an audience and even better profit don't expect anyone to sign you except to the lowest of deals.

Don't believe the hype of what they tell you in these wack articles.

Drake was on a damn successful tv show in Canada and that played a huge factor in labels dealing with him and already knowing who he was.

Game released an album with JT the BIgga Figga that helped him get out there with his music and add value

And let's not forge that pretty much all of these guys had original material. Rapping over other peoples beats isn't getting anyone into the game anymore

Agivens is on-point with all of this.

Mixtapes are so overdone, you have to do something significant. Doing the same as everyone else won't make you stand out from the crowd.

Why is Kanye always in the headlines, why is Kim? Big heads and big asses spark controversies.

That's not to say you should be controversial, but that's just one idea.

Back