mixtape deals and dividing payment between mixtape rappers??

hello..

i have been trying to figure this out for a while now and i aint getting anywere about the subject

Im starting a label next year , i will be registering a company name , i am my own producer and i have artists that are interested in coming aboard i will also be working with my own project but i want to know a few things, mainly the economic side.
and what order i should realese albums for example is it better to build a group first then just realese solo albums that may take ages for individual rappers to complete

obviously my first project will be a free one but i also want to start selling beats ...some of the beats i have are to good to be free bees=)

i was thinking of realesing a compaliation album with me and some of the artists. Now im wondering if i should release it as a album or promotion....and also will i own the material? basically i will be doing everything from the beats to mixing and mastering , the other artsist will jus maybe lay down a couple 16s on each beat.... if i start making money how do i divide that?
sorry for not being able to be more clear if i have not..this has been holding me back for a while and i am starting to get pressure from everyone about shit....thanks any tips will be appreciated

you must contact a entertainment lawyer if you plan on selling a mixtape,a compilation,a album if you have other artists on them....and EVEN IF IT'S JUST YOU...you should have a team around you to use for your purposes
1.CPA/Bookeeper
2.Ent. Lawyer
3.Management
4.Promotion Professional
5. Business Coach/Consultant
6.if you can afford it a personal assistant to help you deal with these ppl and all other things that pop up running a label

YOUR STEPS
1.Prepare a business plan
2.get together some promo material(songs)
3.build a website put up your promo material(have a interesting blog,plus other interesting things on your site,check out affliate marketing)
4.interview artists(present them with your label package which is what you can offer them)
5.interview other producers(start a production company/team)
6.get into lincening for TV,Film,etc..
7.make videos
8.budget for recording/production
9.budget for promo/marketing
10.push,push,push,push,push and be wise and inventive

my info

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio/press kit writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources
I AM SWAG "SAINT WITH A GIFT"
"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"
"My Lord is not black or white he's GLORIOUS"

fantastic, great response ....thank you very much fataltone ... i will be printing your list out and getting on those right away...-)
the people on this site never seem to let me down ... bless.

hello..

i have been trying to figure this out for a while now and i aint getting anywere about the subject

Im starting a label next year , i will be registering a company name , i am my own producer and i have artists that are interested in coming aboard i will also be working with my own project but i want to know a few things, mainly the economic side.
and what order i should realese albums for example is it better to build a group first then just realese solo albums that may take ages for individual rappers to complete

obviously my first project will be a free one but i also want to start selling beats ...some of the beats i have are to good to be free bees=)

i was thinking of realesing a compaliation album with me and some of the artists. Now im wondering if i should release it as a album or promotion....and also will i own the material? basically i will be doing everything from the beats to mixing and mastering , the other artsist will jus maybe lay down a couple 16s on each beat.... if i start making money how do i divide that?
sorry for not being able to be more clear if i have not..this has been holding me back for a while and i am starting to get pressure from everyone about shit....thanks any tips will be appreciated

You're just full of questions, aren't you? Now worries, I'll give a starting point for your economic structure. First of all, if you plan to release albums, you'd better have a tour in place and YouTube videos in the making. Otherwise, you'll have a tough selling full albums. I suggest going the mixtape route and selling individual song. This way, the artists can do most of the promotional work by pushing their individual tracks; which is what they do anyway.

It looks like you're set on giving the first project away, and this is fine. However, I suggest getting email addresses for the project give away instead. You'll have the contact information of people who are interested in your music, making your chances are better when it comes to getting fans to your shows and making sales. And, as far as selling beats are concerned, you'd be better off placing the all of them on your official website. Send artist online to hear your beats. From there, they can easily see the free beats and the ones that cost.

As far as owning the material is concerned, the answer depends on how you decide to conduct business with the artist. If you get them to sign a work for hire agreement, then you'll own the music entirely. On the other hand, if plan to have those same artist perform the songs live, then you will likely share owner ship in some way. Contact an entertainment lawyer in that case.

When the time comes to divide the money amongst the crew, it should be split according to the type of project you release. Just remember that engineers get paid up front to mix and master projects, usually by the label. Unless you're signing the rappers to your label, they should pay you up front to record. If this is your project, and you're okay with fronting the studio time, the rappers should split 30% or 40% of profit, which leave you with 60% to 70% to play with. However, in order to know how much profit is, you'll need to find out the cost of the project first.

Like I said, work on a song by song basis and release the tracks on the same day you apply for copyrights. Get some momentum going before and gain some business experience before getting into complicated deals with people. Trust me, you don't want the headache of law suits.

You're just full of questions, aren't you? Now worries, I'll give a starting point for your economic structure. First of all, if you plan to release albums, you'd better have a tour in place and YouTube videos in the making. Otherwise, you'll have a tough selling full albums. I suggest going the mixtape route and selling individual song. This way, the artists can do most of the promotional work by pushing their individual tracks; which is what they do anyway.

It looks like you're set on giving the first project away, and this is fine. However, I suggest getting email addresses for the project give away instead. You'll have the contact information of people who are interested in your music, making your chances are better when it comes to getting fans to your shows and making sales. And, as far as selling beats are concerned, you'd be better off placing the all of them on your official website. Send artist online to hear your beats. From there, they can easily see the free beats and the ones that cost.

As far as owning the material is concerned, the answer depends on how you decide to conduct business with the artist. If you get them to sign a work for hire agreement, then you'll own the music entirely. On the other hand, if plan to have those same artist perform the songs live, then you will likely share owner ship in some way. Contact an entertainment lawyer in that case.

When the time comes to divide the money amongst the crew, it should be split according to the type of project you release. Just remember that engineers get paid up front to mix and master projects, usually by the label. Unless you're signing the rappers to your label, they should pay you up front to record. If this is your project, and you're okay with fronting the studio time, the rappers should split 30% or 40% of profit, which leave you with 60% to 70% to play with. However, in order to know how much profit is, you'll need to find out the cost of the project first.

Like I said, work on a song by song basis and release the tracks on the same day you apply for copyrights. Get some momentum going before and gain some business experience before getting into complicated deals with people. Trust me, you don't want the headache of law suits.

thanks for your reply yeah my head is jus so busy thinking what steps i need to take ... i do however prefer to make money off the first project so i will see into the options of doing that. The artist i work with are also my friends who i will be working with as "head" of the group and they are dependent on me to sort the bussines side out but i do it for my own sake to, the 60 70 - 30 40 deal sounds logical to me. And as far as shows i dont mind splitting the show money for me thats more about a collective equal work force. maybe i ask to many qs and should just do. =)

thanks for your reply yeah my head is jus so busy thinking what steps i need to take ... i do however prefer to make money off the first project so i will see into the options of doing that. The artist i work with are also my friends who i will be working with as "head" of the group and they are dependent on me to sort the bussines side out but i do it for my own sake to, the 60 70 - 30 40 deal sounds logical to me. And as far as shows i dont mind splitting the show money for me thats more about a collective equal work force. maybe i ask to many qs and should just do. =)

You're one the right path, and questions come with the territory. Just don't get got up in waiting for the answer. Make moves at the same time, just like you're doing now with setting up you label. I'll do what I can to help, just get at me. Subscribe to my newsletter and get music business related updates regularly to stay ahead of the game. All of my info is one the website located in my signature.

Back