(Marketing) - If YOU had £500...

MessyBeatz

... to spend on marketing, how/where would you spend it and why?

Would you spend it all or just some?

Please comment below your thoughts and ideas.

Whats good fam,

If I was about to allocate some funds for marketing I'd probably:

1. Research the ad platforms that are in front of my target audience
2. Research how to effectively create an ad for those platforms
3. Do a split test to see what works and what doesn't
4. Rinse and repeat once I find something that works.

That being said, I think I'd probably start by using some of the money on FB ads.

They are a good [easy] way to get in front of people who want your stuff.

AND

They are relatively inexpensive to get started with so you can test it until you find something that works.

My $.02

Good luck.

That's a great question MessyBeatz.

I can think of a few methods, the first one is a red hot method using ppv (pay per view)

I can't say for sure if anyone in the beat selling world is using this method but it is used heavily by other advertisers and marketers in other niches.

For 500 bucks you could use 50onRed now (rtxplatforn) to run ppv ads

Basically what you can do with ppv is bid on any site on the internet, it can be by keyword, URL or both. ppv is basically adware, it's not a virus. Someone could have downloaded a piece of software and accepted to be shown ads.

Anyways...

when the site you are targeting is triggered by your keyword or a specific URL your site will pop under the site you have chosen as a target.

I'm sure you have experienced this before right?

So, let's say you targeted a hot producer who sells beats daily and you bid 0.05 cents per click.

Everytime someone visited that site you targeted, your site would pop under their site and when the user closed the page they were looking at your site would be waiting for them to check out.

It's pretty cool when it's done right because it's targeted traffic but... here's the real killer part to pay per view.

If we want red hot credit card in hand buyer traffic, we need to go back to the hot selling producers site and select a beat which is similar to your beats.

You then need to click the buy button on that beat and fill out all the details until you hit the checkout page. You then grab the checkout page URL and use this as your target in ppv and boom, you now have red hot buyers who are in buying mode!

Now you could go to every top selling producer and use this same tactic. But seeing as most of the producer sites are using beat selling players you could just go straight to the beat sites like MFS and BS and target their checkout pages.

If you cant get the checkout page URL because it directs you to PayPal then the cart page URL is the next best one to grab.

You might burn through that $500 pretty quickly because of the amount of traffic MFS & BS get, but you'll be popping up on red hot buyer traffic every single time your site is triggered to show, so the chances of getting sales are really high.

You could show a cart page with beats loaded too. Or you could have a specific page set to autoplay your beats when it's triggered. So that as they are buying from one site, your beats are playing in the background.

Auto playing has proved to increase conversions on pop ups

It is worth a look for sure because like I said before, so far I haven't heard of this tactic being used for beat selling before and there's a really good chance of doing well from this especially if no one is doing it.

You could go as low as 0.01 cents per click. That's penny traffic on targeted ready to go buyers.

Nice :)

Last edited:
...when the site you are targeting is triggered by your keyword or a specific URL your site will pop under the site you have chosen as a target.

I'm sure you have experienced this before right?

Yikes.

@Ether Two - What are your feelings about pop unders / pop ups etc?

I'm asking because although I believe this approach could be effective, it may also have a negative affect on your brand.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who hates random ads that pop up or under... :bigeyes:

ppv traffic is different to random ads traffic because your not popping under or over random sites and like I said earlier people agree to see these ads in one way or another.

If your site was popping up over Facebook, Amazon or some random site then yeah for sure it can annoy some people.

Running targeted ads on Facebook annoy some people too.

Some people hate seeing google ads.

Some people hate certain ads on TV & radio

I don't think many rappers who are buying beats will be too annoyed to see or hear your beats in the background.

Can this really hurt your brand? You might have a small percentage that won't like any type of ad you run.

You can't please all the people all the time.

What I've learnt over the years is that you can't make assumptions based on the things you like and you don't like.

The only way you'll know for sure is to test it and see what the outcome is.

Bottom line though is that ppv is used in a lot of other huge niches, If it exists as an advertising platform it works. :)

Yikes.

@Ether Two - What are your feelings about pop unders / pop ups etc?

I'm asking because although I believe this approach could be effective, it may also have a negative affect on your brand.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who hates random ads that pop up or under... :bigeyes:

SFTRAXX & Ether Two

Thanks for both of your input - it has all been noted and taken on board.

1. Research the ad platforms that are in front of my target audience

Good luck.

Bro could elaborate a bit more on this particular point? Are you saying (in basic terms) paid to have banner ads on popular sites where artists hand out?

Your welcome MessyBeatz

SFTRAXX made some good points about his strategy. If you want to find ads from popular sites where your audience are then a good free tool to use is follow.net

you can see what ads they are running on different platforms, you can see what banners they use and what copy they are using and how long the ads are running for. You get 5 results from each section with the free version.

You might wanna check out bidvertiser for banner placements on high traffic blogs. You can get some good rates, it's definitely worth checking out.

Your welcome MessyBeatz

SFTRAXX made some good points about his strategy. If you want to find ads from popular sites where your audience are then a good free tool to use is follow.net

you can see what ads they are running on different platforms, you can see what banners they use and what copy they are using and how long the ads are running for. You get 5 results from each section with the free version.

You might wanna check out bidvertiser for banner placements on high traffic blogs. You can get some good rates, it's definitely worth checking out.

Thanks again man - I defo liked your marketing points too, trust me im noting all this down.

Someone once mentioned FaceBook ads and Adwords for YouTube vids - ive tried the YouTube route and it did bring me about 100 new subscribers and tons of views on the vids i promoted BUT it didnt bring any sales and that may be my fault for 2 reasons i can think of:

1. My budget wasnt big enough (limited to £5 a day - was testing the waters, didnt want to go broke so soon) OR
2. I had my targeting set up all wrong (still very much a learning curve and I think this was the real problem)

Focus on your music first and foremost, market later.

I hear that but im currently confident in my music and would never think to market my stuff if it wasnt ready. I do get a steady flow of sales currently but these are from people who have been in my circle for the past 10yrs - need to attract new customers now.

How did you target people on YouTube? Did you target keywords or producers channels?

$5 per day on YouTube instream ads won't go very far, it won't last a day before your ads stop running because the traffic to cost per click ratio is a lot higher than running video ads on facebook.

What did you set your bid to? I always start at 0.05 to see how many views I can reach and what action was taken.

I would suggest targeting type beat video URLs that match your style and run and ad to each url separately. There will be enough traffic from one URL to gauge clicks to your site.

Did you have strong calls to action around the 20 second mark? Did you see where your views are dropping off?

All that info helps to make your ads better.

Thanks again man - I defo liked your marketing points too, trust me im noting all this down.

Someone once mentioned FaceBook ads and Adwords for YouTube vids - ive tried the YouTube route and it did bring me about 100 new subscribers and tons of views on the vids i promoted BUT it didnt bring any sales and that may be my fault for 2 reasons i can think of:

1. My budget wasnt big enough (limited to £5 a day - was testing the waters, didnt want to go broke so soon) OR
2. I had my targeting set up all wrong (still very much a learning curve and I think this was the real problem)

Last edited:
Ahhh man - the way you have broken it down i can see ive made a big mess. WOW. Ok let me answer your questions.

remember it was my first attempt at doing this soooo probably got it all wrong.

How did you target people on YouTube? Did you target keywords or producers channels?

Nope! - I just set up the ad and targeted 'HipHop/Rap music' for ages '16-30 (i think)

$5 per day on YouTube instream ads won't go very far, it won't last a day before your ads stop running because the traffic to cost per click ratio is a lot higher than running video ads on facebook.

this is correct - towards the end of each day i would get the 'limited by budget' message

What did you set your bid to? I always start at 0.05 to see how many views I can reach and what action was taken.

I set it to 10p or (0.10) which gave me an est 100-200 views per day but it always promoted me to set it to 0.01 for est 400-700 vies per day (which I did and which it has delivered)

I would suggest targeting type beat video URLs that match your style and run and ad to each url separately. There will be enough traffic from one URL to gauge clicks to your site.

so target a competitors vid and have my ad pop up? that what you mean i guess - need to look into how to set that up - sounds interesting.

Did you have strong calls to action around the 20 second mark? Did you see where your views are dropping off?
All that info helps to make your ads better.

I didnt have this at all. Let me explain better.

The only way ive done it is as follows:

Upload my beat to YouTube > set up campaign for that beat/video to show up in search results (on the side bar and top of search area) plus applying all the info I described above.

I never had a particular Ad (separate video) i was merely trying to use the uploaded video itself. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again Ether Two. :)

Last edited:
Ahh OK cool, well that's not a bad first attempt ! Kudos for taking the plunge :)

OK so now I know which methods you used. Let me explain instream ads so that you understand the difference.

Instream ads are the ads shown before some videos. You know the skip ad after 5 seconds? They're instream ads.

That's why I would recommend targeting a specific type beat video that matches your style.

Your gonna be getting in front of a lot of rappers using this technique, but you will also end up with producers who are checking out other producers styles.

Do a search for setting up upstream ads on YouTube. It's pretty straightforward. You just need to select an instream as campaign in adwords.

I had a feeling google would suggest penny clicks. I don't think many producers are using instream ads so the competition will be real low :)

Hit me up anytime, always happy to help.

Ahhh man - the way you have broken it down i can see ive made a big mess. WOW. Ok let me answer your questions.

remember it was my first attempt at doing this soooo probably got it all wrong.

Nope! - I just set up the ad and targeted 'HipHop/Rap music' for ages '16-30 (i think)

this is correct - towards the end of each day i would get the 'limited by budget' message

I set it to 10p or (0.10) which gave me an est 100-200 views per day but it always promoted me to set it to 0.01 for est 400-700 vies per day (which I did and which it has delivered)

so target a competitors vid and have my ad pop up? that what you mean i guess - need to look into how to set that up - sounds interesting.

I didnt have this at all. Let me explain better.

The only way ive done it is as follows:

Upload my beat to YouTube > set up campaign for that beat/video to show up in search results (on the side bar and top of search area) plus applying all the info I described above.

I never had a particular Ad (separate video) i was merely trying to use the uploaded video itself. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again Ether Two. :)

Back