Manager scams (what 2 look for.)

Sokalm

Here are some tips to figure out, who scamming you or not.

1. They ask for $ before they work with you, Any manager now a days will not ask for $ upfront even to draw out a contract. if they serious with working with you they will tell you up front. (Sarah J will be a good example of a producer manager. She doesn't ask for money from anyone and just work with the producers.) I've got plenty of DM from her.

2. Manager only have a twitter with fake followers

3. No Website or Credit to their name. (GK Artist Management and a few other) say they would like to manage you but just like tip 1 they will keep asking for money. They ask me to pay $10 for a listen to my beats i said ok and after that they ask for $100 for contract fees.

4. If you google or youtube them and nothing pops up...then back out of any talk with them.

-------------------------

List any manager you think is scamming.
1.GK artist Management(alot of followeres, also fake credential listed. say they have grammy nomitated artist but don't list who, and i can not find any info or website. They also beg for cash 510 to $100)

2.The Untouchables. (They say they manage people, and ask for beats as well.)
But other than alot of followers i haven't heard anyone working with them.

1. They ask for $ before they work with you, Any manager now a days will not ask for $ upfront even to draw out a contract. if they serious with working with you they will tell you up front. (Sarah J will be a good example of a producer manager. She doesn't ask for money from anyone and just work with the producers.) I've got plenty of DM from her.

3. No Website or Credit to their name. (GK Artist Management and a few other) say they would like to manage you but just like tip 1 they will keep asking for money. They ask me to pay $10 for a listen to my beats i said ok and after that they ask for $100 for contract fees.

4. If you google or youtube them and nothing pops up...then back out of any talk with them.

1.GK artist Management(alot of followeres, also fake credential listed. say they have grammy nomitated artist but don't list who, and i can not find any info or website. They also beg for cash 510 to $100)

I was confused when I didn't see a website for GK artist management, and didn't see their list of placements or clientele. But they do have 'Infared Ink' as a current client on twitter. It comprises of a singing group and some writers. The singers group is called 'SRSOUL' I heard them on audiomack music was really really good.

But a site I'm very suspicious of and not quite sure about is managerspro.com manager's often have pre-determined criteria for selecting an artist. It's not a fraud definitely, but it just doesn't feel right.

I like the list, let me throw in my experiences with what you've listed

Managers with fake followers
Managers with no social skills allow their interns or friends to handle their accounts. They buy a bunch of fake followers thinking more followers means credibility. They don't understand how social media works. Does this make them a bad manager? No, it just means that they don't understand social media and some managers don't bother with it because they have really tight knit circles that they work with so placements are a phone call away.

I've seen a lot of producers with big placements do this as well. They jump into the SM game late and just start spamming and buying followers.

No google or youtube results
Don't throw a manager's name out of the window simply because you can't find any YouTube or Google results. I've found a lot of good respectable managers on Twitter who have very few followers and no search engine results. Why? Because they aren't social.

In this case, have them point you to their work

No Website
Some managers don't care about websites. I've seen some heavyweights in the licensing game (publishers more specifically) who have really shit 1997 Angelfire looking websites. They just don't care about the online scene or don't need it for what they do.

Paying Up Front

I wouldn't call this a scam initially because I've run into managers who charge for the sake of weeding out the masses. They figure, if you're willing to pay, you're confident in your material. Sadly, there are respectable managers and scammers out there who will take advantage.

I remember getting hit up by a manager who worked with universal asking for $300 per demo submission. He was a legit manager, but the practice imo was totally taking advantage of thirsty people.

Anyone remember that guy that was connected with Dipset? I can't remember his name he was charging 600 up front, but he was legit, got people placements. Hung on to the talented ones of course. Still not a practice you want to get in the hang of.

That reminds me of blaze it or blaze tracks or something like that. Not calling them a scam, but it's the same scheme

Just make sure you conduct good research before disregarding or accepting anyone as a manager

Last edited:
Yeah, that true. alot of people aren't scammers, but some don't know how to work a game, and it just fair to point them out so people don't get tricked and or waist time like i did with GK management. I paid $!0 and they automatically said they like my beat i tested them with a different account name too and said the same thing that they like my beats and wanted $100 for a contract. and i knew the beat suck cause the beat had good drums but one sound on the whole track which was one basic string chord.

Blazetrack isn't a scam but they charge way to much for some consulting... Tho there are people from Aftermath, and other on that site so it ain't a total waste. Just beware is all.

Istandard is the same pay money to get your tracks out there and PMP is too, but these two site get you the best results.

Back