Management Vs Record Labels

Mr. Bts

I run a recording studio in the South Florida Area and I have many artist come through with some sort of "representation" whether it be management or an independent label. And from my experience it seems as if the lines have been blurred; managers acting as labels and labels acting as managers. I was just curious of how the community felt about the importance of these roles on local and independent level and how they seemingly become one in the same

at grassroots levels many hats are worn by one person..
many independent labels owners manage themselves and other artists they sign

many managers at the independent level act as a label because they have not yet been able to sign their artist to a stable independent or top-tier label...

it can be great as these ppl managers/low-level independent label owners will work night and day for that artists
or totally destroy the artist brand or in most cases not even create one for the artist(s).

Def Jam Records started this way...and many other great labels

managers turned label owners....

Last edited:
Ideally they are synthesized components to an artist career. If it is all-in-one, and the artist is aware of the pro's and con's, that's a better situation. Look at Jay Z, he outsmarted/out hustled not one but two former bosses...he's done the education, wore all the hat's and now he's Grand Supreme Pontif Summa Overloard God Deity Shiek EL Bey Rama of the North Galaxy!

Imagine this...Barry Gordy, J Prince, Diddy, Suge, RZA, Power, Master P, Slim/Baby, Damon Dash, Gotti saying to some stranger who would not let them date their daughter or eat at the same kitchen table..."I have the next best thing, guaranteed to fill your club and pocket's up, do you have an open slot in the next 90 day's, let's make some money together?" I'm 100% positive they all had to make that call more than 100 times before we ever heard of them! The lazyman, with no skin in the game would say...I own a lable... don't make those call's...transfer to sales!:cry:

The people who put up the money to start label's/management businesses, file companies with sec of state, file for copyright's, open up publishing account's, file trademark's, cold call club's/radio/venue's, make connections, pay for studio time, start websites, upload content, post up bandit sign's/flyer's, regularly scout for new talent..... have the intellectual capital and power at the any level...indie or major. So you're gonna see us at the studio, at the county office, at the concert backstage and at the UPS store. Call us what you like, we're striving for multiple incomes...residual is ideal! That's part of the hustle..if its to be, its up to me!

Last edited:
Back